How many times? bachata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hmmm, funny you like to feel the soul of the music, the heart of what it is all about. So why the distortion, you have no clue what a good sound is. To feel the soul of music it has to be played beautifully, not with soul intention of undoing the screws in the neighbours kitchen cabinet.
Loud music is preferential in rock or to loud audiences, not some closet homo with a widget up his jacksie telling us how much he misses the girl he will see in the morning. Creepy homo (no offence to homo's by the way, just the camp ones) weird bollox!

most white people do not enjoy music the way we do? then can you explain why they love reggae to the degree they do? now there is some African based stuff right there.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
oh no... I love Bachata especially the old stuff...Leonardo Paniagua or Luis vargas.. I live for it..it s all part of the whole package.. if they played Led zep or Sabbath i d feel i d landed back in Queens... no... bachata all the way or some Fefita, I love it .. cant get enough... I agree they play the same songs over and over in the colmados... that s why I bring a list over of my faves by Yoskar and Anthony santos and el Chaval, and if they want me to drink there( since I most often am the only one actually buying the beer all afternoon) they play that stuff and the get into it.... it s very important to me... dont know when it al clicked for me.. before going to the DR for the first time I d never even heard the word bachata, then one day I got up and danced to one, i think it was " y antes de irme" and I was sold....for me , no bachata, no DR/....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hmmm, funny you like to feel the soul of the music, the heart of what it is all about. So why the distortion, you have no clue what a good sound is. To feel the soul of music it has to be played beautifully, not with soul intention of undoing the screws in the neighbours kitchen cabinet.
Loud music is preferential in rock or to loud audiences, not some closet homo with a widget up his jacksie telling us how much he misses the girl he will see in the morning. Creepy homo (no offence to homo's by the way, just the camp ones) weird bollox!

i have always said that in order to appreciate a genre of music which is new to you, you have to hear it reproduced on the kind of musical equipment that allows you to delve into nuances. sadly, (and Frank the Tank might not like this) there is no high end equipment to be had in the DR. i have not seen a stereo store in the DR that sells quality equipment. i have played music for people here who have never listened to the genre, but when they hear it played on quality equipment, i cannot pry the headphones off their heads. it is hard to ask someone to give country and western a fair listen, when you are hearing it on what passes for speakers in the average setting here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
JMB by a mile. The gorgon at the very least live on this country and is willing to put up with our quirks. Plus, even if his criticism can be very harsh at times, the way he delivers it more than makes up for it.

thanks for your kind words, Naked Snake, but i do not need to respond to Frank the Tank on this score. he knows nothing about what i do for people here. i can guarantee that income for income, i do far more for Dominicans than he does. that is good enough for me.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If it's too loud, you're too old!

if it is too loud, the equipment is distorting. either the source sucks, the speakers are trying to reproduce the wrong frequency range, or the amplifier is clipping. clean music is never too loud.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Hi Redscot
Funny. For me the two first ones are traditional cuban music, the last one from Anthony basic Bachata.
Thanks for the samples :)
I heard it one more time. The first one ist cuban. The second one is a nice introduction to bachata and the third one ...

El son Cubano is probably my favorite music, and father to many genres indeed.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hi Redscot
Funny. For me the two first ones are traditional cuban music, the last one from Anthony basic Bachata.
Thanks for the samples :)

Nothing Cuban about Marino Perez and Leonardo Paniagua. This is how Bachata used to sound before the new generation took over and "modernized" it.

Bachata is the Dominican equivalent of American blues music. There is even a documentary movie made a while back about Luis Vargas which I recently watched on Netflix. It is called Santo Domingo Blues...it was actually pretty decent I thought notwithstanding the fact that Luis Vargas was the main character and he can be a bit arrogant IMO. Nonetheless I liked that some of the originators of the genre were in the movie (Eladio Romero Santos, Luis Segura, Aridia Ventura - Probably the first woman to sing it, etc)

Here's a quick clip.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fXPTrD-Sxk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Dog: The issue is you're looking at it from a technical, almost detached point of view. The soul of Bachata or any music for that matter is not in how complex the song is, but how it speaks to YOU and that's what Bachata does...it speaks to the typical Dominican, it identifies with his or her day to day problems, etc. and that's why we want to listen to it as loud as possible.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nothing Cuban about Marino Perez and Leonardo Paniagua. This is how Bachata used to sound before the new generation took over and "modernized" it.

Bachata is the Dominican equivalent of American blues music. There is even a documentary movie made a while back about Luis Vargas which I recently watched on Netflix. It is called Santo Domingo Blues...it was actually pretty decent I thought notwithstanding the fact that Luis Vargas was the main character and he can be a bit arrogant IMO. Nonetheless I liked that some of the originators of the genre were in the movie (Eladio Romero Santos, Luis Segura, Aridia Ventura - Probably the first woman to sing it, etc)

Here's a quick clip.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fXPTrD-Sxk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maybe i am missing something, but the basic rhythm in these tracks sounds more like tipico than bachata, at least to me. please educate me on this.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004

Here's a quick clip.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fXPTrD-Sxk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw that piece as well, thought it was pretty good. Totally agree with the blues reference (see my first post). Bottom line, Bachata has a wide range of great songs dating way back......but this new sweet and happy sound sucks! (Guess it is doing well with the target audience though, so I am not against these youngsters getting theirs).

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
maybe i am missing something, but the basic rhythm in these tracks sounds more like tipico than bachata, at least to me. please educate me on this.

That particular song is a "Merengue de guitarra" made popular originally by Eladio Romero Santos.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dKGxJED_9HY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

It's a throw back to the late 70's when that type of music was popular. Today's bachata is slower, but once in a while most Bachata artists will put out a song or two with this style. Anthony Santos does this for almost every album he will have at least one or two Merengue songs.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Bfiom1HZcA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Redscot: I'm a big fan of the old school as well, but for good or bad genres evolve. Just look at American Country Music where the lines have blurred so much that so called country music singers are putting out songs that are more like pop music.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'll take tipico any day over Blinky Blinky!
[video=youtube;j1tplmbUusc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1tplmbUusc[/video]

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
i have always said that in order to appreciate a genre of music which is new to you, you have to hear it reproduced on the kind of musical equipment that allows you to delve into nuances.

I'm not so sure about this. Musical equipment is an ever evolving thing. 30 or 40 years ago, high end stereos were crappy by today's standard for high end stereos. So according to this, people back then could not appreciate new genres of music?

Dec 26, 2011
I always liked this one:

[video=youtube;_iL89UYy2Cg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iL89UYy2Cg[/video]

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I don't care what genre of music one likes.. Bachata, Heavy Metal, Rap, or Mozart.... From giant boom boxes on busses and subways in the '70's and '80's, to the guy behind me at the stop light who's giant speakers necessitate over sized shock absorbers with bass so loud you can't hear music... just feel the vibrations from a block away.... playing ANY music so loud that it disturbs other people has nothing to do with "feeling it", or "living it"... it's simply being selfish, rude, and inconsiderate. Or simply a Jacka$$. And with any luck the victims will follow CC's advice... fight fire with fire. Just remember, overwhelming superior "fire power" (volume) is your best weapon. Shock and awe in the form of giant speakers.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not so sure about this. Musical equipment is an ever evolving thing. 30 or 40 years ago, high end stereos were crappy by today's standard for high end stereos. So according to this, people back then could not appreciate new genres of music?

absolutely incorrect. the stereo system i owned in the 1970s is superior to anything i have ever heard in this country, except for a system owned by a buddy of mine, which he brought from the States. the old Quad electrostatic speakers of the 70s are still recognized by the stereo fraternity as one of the best speakers ever heard, even today. tube amplifiers of the late 60s are collectors items today, because even with today's superior equipment, nobody today can build a tube that sounds anywhere near as good as they built them in the distant past.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If it's too loud, you're too old!

I'm 39 and too old!! And my Dominican woman of 23 is also!!!!!!!!!!!
5 Years together (yes, I sell a book called 'THE LEGEND' non of this 'I know bollox', I do know, I made it word!!! Refer to a previous thread where cutting fingers were mentioned!!

hehehehe!

Only joking, my wife is 52!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I feel sorry for the OP because boy oh boy does Prince Royce have really really sucky music.

I was in the audience for latin american billboards a few years back. They broadcast live and had people running around saying doors close in 5 minutes and nobody let in till first commercial break. Then every commercial break the same madness ensued. Could not get people to sit down for crap. I felt like I was on a flight from JFK to SDQ and the poor flight crew explaining that you can't be up and walking about during taxiing for take off. . . .

Anywho. . .first award of the night was maybe best new artist or similar. And. . . .the winner is. . . . .Prince Royce. . . . .the presenter looks to where he was to be seated. . . .empty seat. In true dominican style he was one of the dopes that didn't listed when they said they were shutting doors in 5 and missed his award.

I was sooooooo. . . .. . hoping he faded out quickly and never won and award again so he could be used as an example. . . . . . . ..no such luck. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.