Hurricane Ike and Current Tropical Storms .. was .. Hey Chris: They're lining up

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sept 18th is always the best day of the year Darren,
it's my birthday, ha ha.
actually the eastern caribbean has nothing more to fear than short showers once in aa while with the sun back out right away.
september isn't our sunny month of the year,
but we don't get permanent rain for a week or 2 and permanent strong winds neither.
like actually:
yesterday been in PC a sunny day with high temps,
low 6 knots breeze from the east.
lat afternoon we got short showers on several areas, not everywhere.
at my home in Cabeza de toro it rain 20 minutes early evening.
it was again wet when i woke up early morning,
so there has been a short early morning shower.
right now:
since this morning the sun is out,
just partly cloudy,
no showers til now,
85F/30C now on 11:30AM,
late afternoon or early evening i expect again short showers in some areas,
wind is a nice light 7-8 knots from the SE,
inshore waters very calm,
offshore around 4-5 ft, quiet for this time of the year.
Samana should not be that different at the moment,
even that we can have very different weather conditions due to our distance to each others.
happy travel
Mike

ilmyncsfl

Sep 9, 2008
Hi!

I will be traveling to Puerto Plata this weekend...Can anyone tell me if there is any hurricane damage in that area?

Any information would be alot of help!

Thank you in advance,

ilmyncsfl

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hi!

I will be traveling to Puerto Plata this weekend...Can anyone tell me if there is any hurricane damage in that area?

Any information would be alot of help!

Thank you in advance,

ilmyncsfl

Not that you will notice if you are a tourist. Downed trees are being chopped up & electric cables waving in the breeze are being repaired. In the barrios some roofs came off but those too are being repaired &, if you are a tourist, you probably won't be going into the barrios. Puerto Plata's local paper has this today:
Periodico El Faro - A pesar de alerta roja Hanna no caus? da?os en Puerto Plata

If anyone else has a question about damage in Puerto Plata please read this post.

Scottish Darren

Sep 9, 2008
Thanks very much Mike. Really appreciate your help and you've certainly put our minds at ease and can now concentrate on looking forward to our wedding and visiting your country.

Best regards from Edinburgh.

Darren

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you're welcome.
to the poster asking about Puerto Plata,
our great area on the north has it's own section about Puerto Plata weather sticky right on the 'weather thread' where real folks living there post actula weather/damage aso reports about our beautiful north coast.
check in there and take their advice.
hey Rob/D. aso,
what about a sticky about PC weather on the same section??
i know the bord is more north related than south east,
i know we sorrily do not have the same expat community down here than the north has, but we are here, we are alive, people ask once in a while about PC, too.
i would update that when ever needed and i know there are some others on the bord who would join in, too.
just an idea.
during the "Hey Chris they're lining up time" i really loved this one which been for all areas together, such we should keep up in case of future weather coming up anyways.
3PM
PC is still sunny,
we had some clouds too, yes,
but no rain so far in the areas where i passed throu today.
Mike

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Mike, why don't you go ahead and begin a thread with your daily weather updates for Punta Cana. You can post commentaries then in both the storm thread and the Punta Cana weather thread. I will make it a sticky once it is up.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
looks like that Ike runs the longest tail in history,
sure it's a latin Macho, yeap.
those clouds he sucked up from down near venezuela are here right now,
started a 10 knots breeze around 10:20PM in PC,
gusts been really up to 20knots from one moment to an other and blew in from the northern side, wow, nice surprise, but that lasted not long. right now we have still rain, but the wind went dead shortly after it came up.
and that Macho is running like we expected here in the bord,
he did not leave Cuba very 'weakened',
and he's growing fast over top conditions in the Gulf of Mexico.
i count him still before Saturday noon as a destructive major hurricane in the middle of Texas, he will grow fast and big til then.
let's hope the rich oil money makers in Houston learned their lesson when killing much over 100 people during their not so good organized evacuations in await of "Rita" 2005, much more losses during the evacuation than during the storm, Fidel should really offer his help to some senators and governors.
he has changes expected in weaher conditions on his way to there during the next 2-3 days, he can move more north than west and more west than north, that final hit i would not take a bet like i did on Gustav, but by tomorrow noon they should take their guess/or better be sure about the guess/or better clean up the Texas coastline at the Gulf, which ever part Ike will hit, it will be a historical one and i would be highly surprised if it's not a Texas one.
the thread went quiet a bit today,
how's rain or such everywhere??
TV does not show nice pictures from the south??
how's the north moving?
between Africa and the eastern caribbean we do not have a thing which could arrive in less than a week,
but we have a growing cloud formation on the south of the Cape Verdes since this afternoon, nothing til now, but in movement, would say it can make it to be a "Invest" til Sunday.
keep that thread up to date guys.
hey Chris,
where art 'tha?
what's your guess about the Sat shots of west africa?
s'y' around
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it's not just one,
and it's not a bit,
it is water/rain/many drops ....
yes,
what passed on the east coast last night is now located on the north, there's a lot of rain north and Ne and East of Puerto Rico, and theres'a lot on one line from the souther Antilles til over to the Cape Verdes.
that's not unusual this time of the year, the Atlantic basin is nerver cloudfree or waterfree during september.
i can still not see something forming up out there,
with some rain we have to live anyways this month.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
w2k6K60Uvadsg

watching that since a couple days,
it is collecting clouds/water,
now as wide as the lesser antilles are high,
still no thunderstorms activity there,
the disurbance fights with heaviest windshears for the next days.
after the weekend the windshear over the caribbean Sea will go down a lot,
the formation is on a straight westward track into the caribbean Sea,
so if it survives the weekend a development into TD or TS is very possible,
by then south of Hispaniola running under very favorable conditions with high water temps under it.
other spots of possible disturbances are located in the southern and western caribbean Sea, but none near Hispaniola to effect anything by now.

on our highway from Cape Verde Islands to the eastern caribbean
the non favorable conditions for TS development will continue for several more days, i would say til end of this weekend, that would make it a week without anything out there mid-end september, not a bad idea.
conditions on half way from west africa towards the caribbean will start to change early next week, so our little ?pause?may be over by around mid week.
hard to say who will make the race to get the name ?Kyle?, the central caribbean or the mid atlantic?
happy eve
Mike

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
w2k6K60Uvadsg

watching that since a couple days,
it is collecting clouds/water,
now as wide as the lesser antilles are high,
still no thunderstorms activity there,
the disurbance fights with heaviest windshears for the next days.
after the weekend the windshear over the caribbean Sea will go down a lot,
the formation is on a straight westward track into the caribbean Sea,
so if it survives the weekend a development into TD or TS is very possible,
by then south of Hispaniola running under very favorable conditions with high water temps under it.
other spots of possible disturbances are located in the southern and western caribbean Sea, but none near Hispaniola to effect anything by now.

on our highway from Cape Verde Islands to the eastern caribbean
the non favorable conditions for TS development will continue for several more days, i would say til end of this weekend, that would make it a week without anything out there mid-end september, not a bad idea.
conditions on half way from west africa towards the caribbean will start to change early next week, so our little ?pause?may be over by around mid week.
hard to say who will make the race to get the name ?Kyle?, the central caribbean or the mid atlantic?
happy eve
Mike

Mike:

I always thought the world was flat!!!! (lol):cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Beautiful pic, my friend!!!!!!