Hurricane Ike and Current Tropical Storms .. was .. Hey Chris: They're lining up

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha
great Idea, we run a storm thread each weekend and all those noise makers stay home, i like that.
sat shots over Cap Verde Islands show just clouds, nothing forming up.
shots over central Africa actually do not show anything remarcable moving east to west towards the Cap Verde Islands neither.
Josephine lost her name but is still a wide area of rain, but not moving our way.
east of the southern lesser Antilles we have a very wide rainy area which is still under a low influence of Ike's powers, entering the caribbean Sea heading NNW.
Ike is moving fast and should cut that 'extra tail' loose, so we would not get such 'quiet' rain in. I want SUN.
time for the road now, hey, it's sunday, life is good.
glad to hear that all went fine on all sides of the island
Mike

Reactions: AnnaC

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Damn,
sitting at Steve's waiting to be 10AM to pick up some donations in a hotel around the corner,
rain started again,
no wind up here and it looks like this strong shower will also be a short one and comes down just in the nearby area.
Mike

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Heavy rain as I type in Juan Dolio. Sometimes no wind no rain, then heavy rain and strong wind. Most peculiar.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Humid and overcast in Santo Domingo, but after plenty of rain through the early morning hours, now it is dry in the city. By the way, Saturday was a lovely sunny day, all until around 5pm when a light drizzle began to fall. Wasn't this storm supposed to bring lots of rain? Who understands these bugs.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete 10.15am Sunday 07.09.08

Some wind & rain started last evening at around 8.00pm - nothing much really.
Wind & rain through the night but only some varied gusts.
Some spotty rain at 06.30am this morning with gusting winds.
Walked the beach (empty except for the stalwarts) @ 07.15am, quite breezy but offshore west of Velero and along the beach from the ESE side of Velero.
Breakfast at Pitu, nice and calm really.
Windsurf centres still under compulsory closures but some kite boarders were out earlier.
Wind still gusting & quite cloudy.
All in all a lucky break from Ike.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Our rain in Puerto Plata (the on-and-off rain, sometimes heavy, sometimes light, never torrential) continued from 7pm to 4am. Shortly after that I went to sleep so wouldn't have noticed any more but it was certainly lessening by 3 am. Far less rain than I was expecting.

This morning in PP those evacuated from downtown barrios like Aguas Negras began returning home. No reports of damage yet although some trees are down & Fire Brigade are removing them. A man died in Nagua when a palm tree branch fell on him but they are not necessarily attributing this to Ike.

Video of the winds in Montellano at 6am
YouTube - Fuertes Brisas tras el paso del Hurac?n IKE

Currently overcast with sun trying to peek through, blustery but nothing out of the ordinary. Enough to make it interesting for the Charity Golf Classic though :cheeky:.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Heavy rain as I type in Juan Dolio. Sometimes no wind no rain, then heavy rain and strong wind. Most peculiar.

This is from "rain bands"(at least that is what we heard over and over in South Florida...along with the "dirty side" of the storm)...as the hurricane swirls, there are different bands of weather that hit in waves...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
1.24pm Santo Domingo - Was quiet this morning but we are having rain fall and strong wind at the moment.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Grand turk got hammered........

but Provo really appears to have missed the big time damage.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oooops!

Telepathically perhaps HB? Bushbaby says he spoke to you about 5 hours ago but not since then......................?? We just had tflea call us, perhaps you're with him?

Just discovered it wasn't tflea we were talking to last night but HB :eek: I owe a big apology to both. What fooled me was what I thought was the 'yes' in answer to 'is that tflea?'. Many apologies. Wind must have been stronger than I thought................:ermm: And that's what I do with a conversation in English.........

Any news on any flooding in Puerto Plata?

None that I've heard of. We did get less rain than was expected. They evacuated all low lying barrios: el Javillar, Padre Granero, Los Bordas, Aguas Negras, Los Coquitos, Villa Progreso and Padre las Casas and didn't take no for an answer. There were a lot of police around as anti-looting protection (fear of looting is the thing which stops people leaving). Those in refuges started returning home at 7am this morning. So far the only fatality was the man who got hit by a falling tree branch in Nagua.
El Nacional, la voz de todos

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
DR was very lucky. Here's how the waves and storm surges looked like in Cuba about six hours before Ike even made it to shore, ..

The way seen in the last two or three seconds is pretty dramatic.

Hurricane looms over Cuba - CNN.com

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, I still find it hard to believe that so little rain came down. The winds I understand but I expected much more rain. Grand Turk, a scant 90 or so miles away has 80% of its homes damaged. Great Inagua is devastated and even the hurricane shelters started leaking. So, yes, extremely lucky!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
In Santo Domingo it rained for 1.5 hours and stopped 15 minuntes ago, lots of flooding everywhere.