I am going to turn in to ONE BIG MOSQUITO BITE!!!

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Nothing I do works... I have 7 Bottles of Insect Repellent in front of me as well as 3 bottle of crap that is supposed to stop the itching. NOTHING WORKS...

1) What actually repels these little blood suckers?

2) What actually stops the darn itch???

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
Avon Skin so Soft lotion actually works well as a repellent! But DEET is the best, although I sure don't want to be putting this on every day as its pretty toxic....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Tips

GirlieGirl said:
Nothing I do works... I have 7 Bottles of Insect Repellent in front of me as well as 3 bottle of crap that is supposed to stop the itching. NOTHING WORKS...

1. DEET, the best is Muskol which may only be a Canadian brand - the deep woods version is nearly 100% DEET. Avon disavows any repellent effect with Skin So Soft.

Also where there are other than the mosquitoes it may be a good idea to use a RAID type spray in the room before retiring and around doors and windows .

2. The standard Cortisone creams up to 1% HC may not help - ask your Dr. for a stronger one such as cyclocort and use sparingly as it is very hard on the skin. Also I have found that a VERY hot wet towel, as hot as you can stand it without risk of a scald , applied for 10 minutes or so (until it cools basically) will desensitize the skin to the point that it doesn't register the itch for some time. Try that too.

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
GirlieGirl said:

I SWEAR BY AVON'S SKIN SO SOFT!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
GirlieGirl

Ask Tom about his 'perfume'. He wears it everywhere, it's pretty cheap and works like a charm .... but the stuff is so damn toxic I don't even put it on Hannelie. I also have a major problem with mozzies .... this stuff works!

Stay well,
Amy

Dec 9, 2002
I always get bitten to blazes whenever I'm in the DR and nothing seems to work for me. I've got some stuff that is 90% DEET which I tried in June, but still got bitten. So, I'm resigned to the fact that I taste nice . . . .

Anyway, in response to your other question about stopping the itch, I use a little electronic gadget (can't remember what it's called though). It's about the size of a pen top, and you put it on the bite and press the top 2 or 3 times - you feel a kind of a little zap a bit like a pin prick - but it works, the itch goes away for a while! I bought it here in England, cost about ?5.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
GirlieGirl -
I also agree with the Skin So Soft - (although I won't shout it out like Starz... does)
I used it everyday when I lived there, when in the shower, use the bath oil, do a quick rinse and away you go and then use the spray oil repeatedly during the day and night.
Another thing that works is if you have screens on your windows -cut a lemon or lime in half and wipe down your screens - it repels them. Also I washed my floors with clorox or javex everyday and that seemed to get rid of them as well as the cockroaches!!
Like RickToronto said - anything with Deet works as well, although because of the toxity of it - Canadian and American agencies are required to lower the amount of Deet used in repellants but there are still some heavy duty products out there.
Since I was born and raised in Northwestern Ontario - I know mosquitos (they are our unofficial bird) - we live with them 5 months of the year and are getting bigger and bigger as the years go by and with more diseases intact !! We sometimes have to resort to wearing full body mesh outfits when out in the woods for protection - I am serious!!! I was actually shocked when I moved to the DR and found them there - even with having them around in epic proportions all my life - you never get used to them.
Good luck - I wish I were coming down to the DR - I would have gladly brought you a supply.
Or if you start losing your mind from the bites - come on up and stay with us for a week - its only 30 below C and no end in sight - after a week you will want to be bitten again !!!! I think I might even be longing for an insect sighting !!!
Take care
Marlie

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I forgot..

If you want to get rid of the itch there are a few things to do as well...
Try dabbing a little soap on the bite - it relieves it fast
Use after bite - a dabber pen that you put on the bite
Take your fingernail and make a X over the bite - don't laugh - it relieves it temporarily !!
Dab a bit of toothpaste on it
Calamine lotion
I hope at least one of these helps
Marlie

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
They love my blood too. I ran out of "deep woods" that I brought with me and bought "off" with deet at the super super for 285 pesos. It worked if I remembered to use it every time I showered. They seem to find places I didn't spray so if something like "skin so soft" works then great but it doesn't have deet of course.

For the itch. Cut a lime and rub it all over the bites. It stops the itch and also disinfects. I was told that limes will also repell but I never did use them till I was bitten. People that drink a lot say that mosquitos don't like alcohol in the blood but I wasn't about to start a new life style.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Girliegirl, have you tried not trapsing around in the nude? (hee hee)

Actually, the stick rub on repellent works really great. Make sure it has DEET with a high percentage, the better. You can usually find the roll-on stick-type of mosquito repellant in the camping gear sections of most major stores. I will have to admit that the DR skeeters were bad last August. Avoid staying on lower floors, where there is more vegetation. Last visit, I stayed on the ground floor of a Boca Chica hotel, forgot to use my rub-on repellent one night and had several annoying welts for the rest of my DR visit.

I've noticed that the higher the room floor in the Santo Domingo hotels, the less mosquitos.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'm so cantankerous that

they don't dare bite me. However, at the beach there are some that don't know me so I use the Bayer products and Sun screen, which seems to keep 'em offa me.

The suggestions about DEET are very good, and I don't know about Skin so Soft, although i have heard it works...

And I sleep with a mosquito netting every night!...

HB

I think for your soft skin that AUTAN by Bayer should work..

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Okay...

So I have this green bottle that says 90% deet (and boy is it strong) but it still does not repel them. Normally before I sit down on the computer at night I like spray around me with Oro and an Insect repellent... that does not work. The Lime does take away the itch... but then I am all sticky (yuck)...

so where can I get the 100% Deet and skinsosoft here and Hillbilly can I pick that Bayer stuff up at the farmacia?

GG

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
what kind of soap do you use

19 years ago in my pre NAvy days I was in the Army. They taught us that any scented soaps attracted mosquitos. We always used unscented soaps and no trouble. COlogns and perfumes also can cause this.
John

nymetsfan

Dec 30, 2003
Try Gold Bond cream. It really takes away the itch from a bite instantly and the bite will go away within 24 hours.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Should this thread be closed?

It can't go unnoticed that a lot of people are talking about mosquitos in general....not just Dominican ones. And, are all the recommended products available in the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC?

Tut, tut and best, P

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Ouch !!

My very first trip to the DR - I was told to rub lime on me to repel the mosquitos - but heres the catch ...
Don't and I mean don't - use it right after you have shaved your legs ... YIKES !! Lesson learned real quick - what was I thinking !!! But after the initial pain and embarrasment - it did work.
Maybe you should put a posting in the travel section asking anyone of the good DR1 people that are arriving soon to bring you down the Skin So Soft (unless there is an Avon distributer in the DR - highly unlikely). Like I said if I was coming I would not hesitate to bring you some.
Good luck,
Marlie

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
People that drink a lot say that mosquitos don't like alcohol

Sorry Anna, they are wrong! I drink my share & the mossies still prefer me. However, if you drink enough, you don't care (until the next day). Stan