I may have destroyed my paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
You are looking for answers in the wrong place.What you should have done, and what you need to do now are two different things.
Only YOU know what needs to be done now...............
I would be talking to the rental agency,rather than asking people here.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
carina said:
If the person left credit card info etc when renting the car, signed contract and so on... the car rental would be able to find the person even if he/she left the country? Isn?t it so??
Is it that "easy" just to destroy a car, not leave it back, and just go home????

I don?t know how the legal work functions between countries, but it would be possible to car rental seeks legal action???

Anyone knows about this?
I am sure it is quite possible but for $700 it is definately not worth it.

Plus there is not much point in spending money to get a judgment if the criminal doesn't have the cash, assets to sieze, or wages to garnish.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Manda Dinero said:
Im thinking the best thing to do is to report the call stolen and and try to make payment arrangements with them as long it is reasonable.

The attempting to block me from leaving DR is moot because I am already gone. The thing is that I don't want to be in a situation whereas i cannot ever enter or leave the country again. I am willing to take responsibility, but i had to leave so that i can make the arrangements on my terms.
You're actions in this whole matter was dead wrong, now since the deed was done, you two options:

First, you should contact the rental company and tell them truth and pay what you owe, never go back to the DR.

Second, cancel your Credit Card, ignore it, never, ever, ever go back to the DR.

Such a waste of a beautiful vacation area you can no longer visit because of $700US worth of damage to a rental car. They will most likely get a judgement for the cost of the car and if they're an affiliate of the Majors(Avis, National, Budget) they'll probably reach you.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
I am sure it is quite possible but for $700 it is definately not worth it.

Plus there is not much point in spending money to get a judgment if the criminal doesn't have the cash, assets to sieze, or wages to garnish.

Agree, but is it 700 US now, the car was not even returned???

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
carina said:
Agree, but is it 700 US now, the car was not even returned???
That car is long gone by now, imagine the locals coming across a brand new rental car just sitting there. FREE PARTS!!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Why does anybody bother answering this poster. He's been to the DR before, he knows the drill. He rented a car and signed an agreement that he was liable for US3,500 of damage. He's familiar with tigeres, yet he lets one drive his car. He does US700 damage to the car and is unwilling to pay it. (I'm not sure how he got an estimate with the car laying in a ditch).

Assuming this story is true, this guy might be liable for more than the US3,500. The fact that he fled the country, didn't report the incident to the rental car company or the police, and drained his account when he returned; may make this a criminal offense. If he rented from a multinational company such as National or Avis, they will get their money; regardless if he has any money his account.

Why do we always complain about Dominicans being dishonest. This is a case of a tourist behaving worse than a tigere.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You are toast!!

Manda Dinero said:
The attempting to block me from leaving DR is moot because I am already gone. The thing is that I don't want to be in a situation whereas i cannot ever enter or leave the country again. I am willing to take responsibility, but i had to leave so that i can make the arrangements on my terms.
You did nothing "fancy" by leaving the country and not take care of your responsability because now, even thought you left like a "thief at night", you will not be able to go back into to the DR (if they decide to block your entry/departure).

There's a big chance that the car is LOOOOOOOONG gone. And if that is the case, YOU WILL PAY FOR THE WHOLE CAR!. Was it a Mercedes or BMW?.

I hope that it was not a Hertz rental because if it was, they WILL make an example out of you!.

I really do not feel sorry for you. But I do feel sorry for what they will do to you when they get you. They have all your information and they will get their car back, one way or another!.

I wish you good luck since you WILL need it!.

Ps: just imagine what they would do to you if you did the same here in the US. You would be posting from jail right now!.

Pss: I am with you rellosk!!.

Manda Dinero

Jun 27, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
You're actions in this whole matter was dead wrong, now since the deed was done, you two options:

First, you should contact the rental company and tell them truth and pay what you owe, never go back to the DR.

Second, cancel your Credit Card, ignore it, never, ever, ever go back to the DR.

Such a waste of a beautiful vacation area you can no longer visit because of $700US worth of damage to a rental car. They will most likely get a judgement for the cost of the car and if they're an affiliate of the Majors(Avis, National, Budget) they'll probably reach you.

I am having trouble coming to grips with the fact that i may never be able to return. BUt there was no way i was going to risk my employment or well being and stay there.

I will keep you guys updated, but if I have to change my name and get my passport reissued I will do it to return.

Anyone know how to look up the phone number to a dominican rental car place?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
rellosk said:
Why do we always complain about Dominicans being dishonest. This is a case of a tourist behaving worse than a tigere.
I tend to agree. Sounds like MandaDinero handled the whole thing irresponsibly, giving "foreigners" a bad name in the process. And people wonder why rental car agencies in the DR have the contract provisions that they do... :tired:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Manda Dinero said:
I am having trouble coming to grips with the fact that i may never be able to return. BUt there was no way i was going to risk my employment or well being and stay there.

I will keep you guys updated, but if I have to change my name and get my passport reissued I will do it to return.

What company?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
To the original poster...

I can't believe the way you handled this situation. In my opinion, you derserve whatever you get.

Is it the rental companies fault that you let some idiot drive the car? No, so why should they suffer?

All you had to do was take the car somewhere and have it repaired yourself. That would have been the best course of action to take. Assuming you could not, you would have been forced to have the rental comapny quote you the damage. That would have still been better than running away and leaving a legal mess behind you.

Larry

Sylvester

Jan 19, 2004
Manda Dinero said:

Where exactly did you rent this car from ? What city, what is the name of the rental company ? I may be able to get the number for you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Manda Dinero said:

What company?

Also, the story is now public, already hundreds of people are aware of what happened. This thread could possibly serve as evidence against you if the rental car company decide to bring a case against you.

You have admitted that a potentially unlicensed and uninsured third party crashed the car and you fled the scene of an accident.

Good luck! I suggest you be a little more careful in the future.

Manda Dinero

Jun 27, 2005
Larry said:
I can't believe the way you handled this situation. In my opinion, you derserve whatever you get.

Is it the rental companies fault that you let some idiot drive the car? No, so why should they suffer?

All you had to do was take the car somewhere and have it repaired yourself. That would have been the best course of action to take. Assuming you could not, you would have been forced to have the rental comapny quote you the damage. That would have still been better than running away and leaving a legal mess behind you.

Larry

What legal mess, all my accounts are closed and I am at home having a few beers. I do feel bad about it and I want to make it right, but there was no way that i was going to be sitting in jail, being at their mercy.

Now they have to deal with me on my terms, the leverage that they had of keeping me there is gone.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Manda Dinero said:

Manda Dinero, you wouldn't risk your employment or well being by not taking responsibility for your actions but you're more than willing to risk the well being and employment of the person/persons who rented you the car???? That's low .... do us all a favour, pay for the car and never come back.

Amy

Manda Dinero

Jun 27, 2005
amy2761 said:
Manda Dinero, you wouldn't risk your employment or well being by not taking responsibility for your actions but you're more than willing to risk the well being and employment of the person/persons who rented you the car???? That's low .... do us all a favour, pay for the car and never come back.

Amy

I intend to pay for the damages of the car, but they would not give a rat's azz about me if they blocked my passport and had me in jail. I intend to pay, but just under my terms where i have leverage.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Manda Dinero said:
I intend to pay for the damages of the car, but they would not give a rat's azz about me if they blocked my passport and had me in jail. I intend to pay, but just under my terms where i have leverage.

I dont think you understand. If you had the body damage taken care of yourself, it would have cost MUCH less than it will now. The very least you will have to pay now is the 3,400 dollar deductable or however much it was. I am quite certain it will be much more as a result of your actions.

So, when you establish contact with them and find out exactly what your current situation is regarding this ordeal, you can come back and tell us exactly how much 'leverage' you actually have.

I also agree with Robert that you posting your 'confession' here was a legal boo boo on your part but apparently that is something esle you do not understand.

So much for leverage.

Larry

Last edited:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Manda Dinero said:
What legal mess, all my accounts are closed and I am at home having a few beers. I do feel bad about it and I want to make it right, but there was no way that i was going to be sitting in jail, being at their mercy.

Why would you be in jail if you could have just paid to repair the damages and returned the car?? As far as anyone knows now, you basically gave the car to some tigre for him to sell it, strip it or whatever he wants to do. Essentially, you stole a car rather than repair it. This is the like those guys on "Cops" who lead the police on some wild high speed pursuit rather than pull over for a simple traffic violation.

Something is fishy about the whole thing.

Manda Dinero

Jun 27, 2005
Larry said:
I dont think you understand. If you had the body damage taken care of yourself, it would have cost MUCH less than it will now. The very least you will have to pay now is the 3,400 dollar deductable or however much it was. I am quite certain it will be much more as a result of your actions.

So, when you establish contact with them and find out exactly what your current situation is regarding this ordeal, you can come back and tell us exactly how much 'leverage' you actually have.

I also agree with Robert that you posting your 'confession' here was a legal boo boo on your part but apparently that is something esle you do not understand.

So much for leverage.

Larry

Yes i agree after begging me for a 5$ propina he puts his 10th beer of the day down and logs on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.