I need some advice about Sankies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Mira said:
That is a great post!! I agree with all that! :)

When I read AZB's posts I can't help thinking of that song...

People are people so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully. So we?re different colours and we?re different creeds, and different people have different needs. It?s obvious you hate me though I?ve done nothing wrong. I?ve never even met you so what could I have done? I can?t understand what makes a man hate another man, help me understand.
thanks Mira, remember this one (opposites attract). Just being down to earth. :nervous:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
See here!

easygoin said:
first off I have a problem with you categorizing people you don't know. I'm a male thats blue-collar worker owner of business that probably makes twice as much as you even if you lived in the US.people are people no matter what they do or what education they may have so let's get that straight right now. As far as Santiago I'm sure it's a high class district but do not say there is not nice people all over in a DR. Money means nothing , it's how you treat people. That's a sign of class whether rich or poor ,money has nothing to do with it. So for you to say that in POP they're all poor I find that hard to believe, because there is always old money in any town. As far as respect you have to earn it, and that comes from being open minded like you're not. And if the women in Santiago are wealthy with new cars(why are you calling on taxis)?. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the women there are higher class due to their upbringing. But I've seen many US and Canadian women with a lot a class. So maybe things may not have worked out for them in the past but that doesn't make them a bad person, whether they're rich or poor. It could be bad decisions I grant you that but nobody's perfect me knor you or anybody else for that matter. I feel better now and by the way you are still(FUNNY) :nervous:
You are doing the same that you are accusing him of doing, "categorazing". How do you know that you make twice more money than AZB, him being a US educated doctor and all.

I do agree with you about almost most of your post but I need to let you know that in the DR, if people even think that you have money, you can practicly do as you please. One can be an uneducated person and if you have money, some see you as a powerful person.

Yes, poor people and rich people are the same when it comes to being the same as a human but you need to understand that money is what moves the world around and a poor person has very little to say when they can not benefit anybody. Sorry to say but with money comes power.

I am a humble person but I am also realistic. If you get in any trouble and you need cash help right away, who will you call, your poor friend or your rich friend?. I may care more about the poor person but I would call the person that has the power and that person is always the rich person. I do not make the rules, I just follow them.

Just keep in mind that the DR is a different monster than any other country that you know. It's not what you are but rather what YOU HAVE and WHO YOU KNOW!!!!!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
easygoin said:
first off I have a problem with you categorizing people you don't know. I'm a male thats blue-collar worker owner of business that probably makes twice as much as you even if you lived in the US.people are people no matter what they do or what education they may have so let's get that straight right now. As far as Santiago I'm sure it's a high class district but do not say there is not nice people all over in a DR. Money means nothing , it's how you treat people. That's a sign of class whether rich or poor ,money has nothing to do with it. So for you to say that in POP they're all poor I find that hard to believe, because there is always old money in any town. As far as respect you have to earn it, and that comes from being open minded like you're not. And if the women in Santiago are wealthy with new cars(why are you calling on taxis)?. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the women there are higher class due to their upbringing. But I've seen many US and Canadian women with a lot a class. So maybe things may not have worked out for them in the past but that doesn't make them a bad person, whether they're rich or poor. It could be bad decisions I grant you that but nobody's perfect me knor you or anybody else for that matter. I feel better now and by the way you are still(FUNNY) :nervous:

I would think that your perspective is the perspective of a nice guy in a NA environment.. you are correct and I share most of your opinions (apart fromt he moeny earnign thing; imo that has nothing to do with anything).. however in the DR things are different.. people do treat each other differently based upon socio-economic status (what you havwe and who you know).. that's the reality in the DR.. if you or I don't like it too bad..

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Meregue, miguel save your breath, these folks just don't get it. They just can't get over the money and color issue. If I mention rich, wealthy, educated, cars etc, these people get stuck right there and miss out on the whole message. They are just dumb and weak. Don't waste your time on them, as I have. Some people know what I am talking about because they, either, live here or have lived here in the past. The rest are imposing north american values on this country. These folks can only feel comfortable with the poor and uneducated of this country. These people don't even want to learn anything else this country has to offer. They are quite comfortable with what they find at the bottom of the barrel. I say, more power to you folks but please don't come back and say things like: all dominicans think gringos have unlimited weath, dominicans make 38 dollars / month, girls have to sell their bodies to support their babies left behind by male dominicans, its the custom here, they steal and lie, dominicans only want visa, they all want to marry a gringo etc etc etc. You sound soooooooooo stupid and narrow minded. You people only know the poor culture of this country. You will never understand my message because you folks are mentally weak.
AZB

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
another example.

stallion said:
I am confused. This is DR we are talking about, not Cuba. No body makes $10 in dr now, not even the 7 year old shoeshine boys. Do not look like a fool talking like this. Just drop it. Have a nice day.
OK maybe not that little but for example take a hotel chain in DR. A dancer at a hotel chain there would make less then half of what a dancer for the same hotel chain makes in spain or mexico, and that doesn't include a place to live. That means they have to stretch the money even further to pay for housing, and they also work shorter hours in DR so they may have to pay for food as well....If you had 500 a month for rent and food and what not you'd see that it really isn't that much.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Mofi

Berzin said:
Equating looks with class and money with integrity is where the problem lies here. And of course a "real" man would not accept any gifts from a woman. If you live in the DR you do, because you have 60% or over of the general population living in poverty, with an average per capita income for ALL dominicans at around 1200-1500 US dollars a year.

So a real man would never accept money and/or gifts from a woman regardless of how poor he is. Whomever said this please get over yourself. Talk that BS when you are the one living in poverty and someone offers you something you cannot afford in a million years.

And stop making dominicans the objects of your affection if all of this is a problem for you. You want someone arrogant, proud, well-educated and driving his own BMW? Then don't go to the DR to find him/her!!

Here is the game -it's called "Let me dangle some money and/or gifts in front of a poor dominican-if he/she takes it, then he/she is a sankie/whore. If he/she refuses, he/she is a good person". Stop playing this stupid game and leave these people alone.

To the person who started this thread-go to the DR and do whatever you want to do with this guy-you will find out the hard way(the only way people seem to learn anything) if this relationship will be worth it when the time comes.

If you are a pretty and smart girl, then dating someone who is beneath you on a few levels will not matter if you love each other and are honset. Just don't get upset or hold it against him when he can't take you out and pay for a night on the town, which for an average dominican can come to about a months' salary.
Exactly what i was try to get at. Thanks!

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Mofi

AZB said:
Everytime I read how poor dominicans are, how all dominicans accept money and how everyone makes 50 dolars / week. I laugh out loud. You are all pathetic and know nothing of DR. You all live in a small world in some small corner of this island. You only can relete to poor dominicans who will look up to you. Its a shame I see almost all foreigners talking alike as if they know all dominicans.
I have been living here for 7 years and traveling here since 1986. I know this island well. I know dominicANS well. When I used to live in POP and costambar, I only met poor dominicans and almost all girls asked me for money. I thought thats the way the dominican culture was. I was disgusted at first but then I accepted it.
Then after a few years I moved to santiago. I have been living here since 5 yrs. believe me, not one a single girl has asked me for money. I almost lost a few girls because I offered taxi fare. They were insulted. Dominicans in santiago and capital live like any other folks in any developed country. We all go out on weekends and even week nights. Spend money everywhere. I don't mean a bottle of chopo brugal and coke. I am talking about domincians drinking black label etc. Girls drink wines and other girly drinks. Prices are very high. Dominicans fill up american standard supermarkets and spend absene amount of cash. They buy items twice the cost at american super markets. they drive up in late model cars.
Their houses are from normal nice houses to mansions. I am not even talking about the elite class, these are your average dominicans. They are good people and they open their doors to anyone who is of the similar socio-economical level and decent. I am no where rich and they all treat me like family. I know the rules, I do not bring some low life hooker to a dinner or a wedding of a rich dominican. I use my brain.
Dominicans here fly to usa more often than you folks fly here to DR. My patients are always out of the country. Miami-santiago flight was full of santiagueros in first class when I boarded.
Tell me this please: does a dominican have to be a poor soul who makes 50 / week to be a decent human being? A richer dominican can't be a good person? Why is it they have to be arrogant snobs by default? Why does it have to be a poor dominican from a campo or a ghetto or a hotel to be your ideal mate?
Do you hang with street people who live in government projects back home? Do you go clubbing with your car mechanic? Do you go bar hopping with your plumber? Do you sleep with gas station jocky?
No, they are not within your social circle right? So what is so attracting about these low class dominicans who do nothing but ask you money and become a liability on you? You have to pay for their school, drinks, food and support their family etc. What is going wrong here?
I only socialize with domincians whom I feel comfortable with. People who do exactly what I do and live egual or better than I do. Where I live and move around, to me, all domincians are rich and educated and extremely proud. I just don't know where you guys visit.
AZB
To start I didn't see anyone say that there is something wrong with the wealthier dominicans..... As for wealthy dominicans the amount of poor dominicans out numbers wealthy dominicans I am sure.
Maybe I don't hang out with the gas station jockey but I do have friends that have more money then i do and less money then I do.
Probabley the reason why so many of the women on this board are attracted to these "low class" dominicans(low class??-poor doesn't mean low class)is because these are the ones that work in the AI's and if you don't speak spanish then it may be a little difficult to communicate with people outside of the AI's

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
As far as AZB goes...

when you talk about all of this wealth that dominicans have, all I can say is that here in NYC if you want to meet a real A-hole find yourself a dominican man or woman who has a nice car and is financailly well-off. They are just "off the gancho" and behave as if they are the only dominicans with money and/or educations. This is simply human nature but it does not seem to affect the dominicans in Santiago because they are just different in that town.
So I am planning a trip there because apparently this is where all of the pristine dominicans live, and I need to be around these high class people.

I do not expect to see any of the following-

1) Stray dogs with prominent rib profiles.
2) Anyone walking around getting to or from work because everyone has a BMW.
3) Girls wearing chankletas, just nice shoes from overseas designers.
4) Cabbies trying to rip me off because I do not know where I am going. They will be honest, forthright and muy chevere. They will be offended when I try to pay even even when they have no more gas left in the tank. They'd rather push their cars home because they'd rather risk a hernia than the loss of their monumental pride.
5) Girls wanting to be with me for money and/or a possible visa to the US. Why leave when they have it so good right there in Santiago?
6) Garbage, poor people or hustlers trying to separate me from my cash.
7) Haitains cutting sugarcane or working as "watchymen" for 100 pesos a month.

I will see none of this in AZB's Santiago. Gee, I can't wait to be treated like gold by these superrich, highly educated, honest and above all very humble people.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think you are confusing "tourist areas" with the rest of the country. Do go to Santiago and Santo Dominigo first.
Yes there are poor people everywhere. No one has said there aren't. But they are just not the same as the ones that have an agenda by hanging around where the tourist are located.

project9

May 29, 2004
As for wealthy dominicans the amount of poor dominicans out numbers wealthy dominicans I am sure.

Yo Keynes, you do realize that your statement applies to most (if not every) country in the world?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
mofi said:
OK maybe not that little but for example take a hotel chain in DR. A dancer at a hotel chain there would make less then half of what a dancer for the same hotel chain makes in spain or mexico, and that doesn't include a place to live. That means they have to stretch the money even further to pay for housing, and they also work shorter hours in DR so they may have to pay for food as well....If you had 500 a month for rent and food and what not you'd see that it really isn't that much.

I suppose you are Dominican Right? or not.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
mofi said:

My dear Mofi,

Pls stick to things you know about.. numbers isn't one of them and what poor Dominicans pay for their living conditions neither...

Poor Dominicans live in relatively simple (mostly wooden) houses.. they pay Dominican rents.. which can be anything from RD$ 1,000 to RD$ 4,000... not US$ 500 for an appartment.. they usually do not pay utilities.. they can get by on Rd$ 50-100 for food and transport a day.. so they will manage if the family income is around 3,500 - 6,000 pesos a month.. usually there will be 1 to 2 income earners in the household so the income is between RD$ 3,500 -7,000... I agree..they will not have a lot of things but then again they will not starve either

Where did you get the idea that Dominicans work short hours?

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Jumping the gun

miguel said:
You are doing the same that you are accusing him of doing, "categorazing". How do you know that you make twice more money than AZB, him being a US educated doctor and all.

I do agree with you about almost most of your post but I need to let you know that in the DR, if people even think that you have money, you can practicly do as you please. One can be an uneducated person and if you have money, some see you as a powerful person.

Yes, poor people and rich people are the same when it comes to being the same as a human but you need to understand that money is what moves the world around and a poor person has very little to say when they can not benefit anybody. Sorry to say but with money comes power.

I am a humble person but I am also realistic. If you get in any trouble and you need cash help right away, who will you call, your poor friend or your rich friend?. I may care more about the poor person but I would call the person that has the power and that person is always the rich person. I do not make the rules, I just follow them.

Just keep in mind that the DR is a different monster than any other country that you know. It's not what you are but rather what YOU HAVE and WHO YOU KNOW!!!!!
first off I said probably, have two very good friends that are chiropractors. Been in business over 20 years I know what they make else I wouldn't make that statement. And I also have a friend that is an orthopedic surgeon and a very good one at that. He makes about three times more than my other bodies due. one of my closest friends that I see once a week used to own home shoppers network but you would never know it by the way he acts.

Sure money is important when you get in a jam. But that's what real friends are about they become your friend not by judging you how much money you have or they have. I have many of friends known for years and not very well-off, but I don't consider them any different than any other of my friends it's called being real. if They need financial help I help them. And the funny thing is six months later they'll come up to me and say heres the money back thanks for helping out, and I totally forgot because they're my friends.

Every time I go to Brazil I always end up in sao luis up in the Northeast. Very very poor city but I love it there. Great culture and the people are wonderful and I love that help them out, like fixing their hut's helping them clean and buying their children something nice and feeding the dogs people food and they think I'm crazy I just laugh. So I have seen bad places it's very unfortunate but with a little help there's always hope. ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Now I'm really depressed

:cry: :cry: :cry:
AZB said:
Meregue, miguel save your breath, these folks just don't get it. They just can't get over the money and color issue. If I mention rich, wealthy, educated, cars etc, these people get stuck right there and miss out on the whole message. They are just dumb and weak. Don't waste your time on them, as I have. Some people know what I am talking about because they, either, live here or have lived here in the past. The rest are imposing north american values on this country. These folks can only feel comfortable with the poor and uneducated of this country. These people don't even want to learn anything else this country has to offer. They are quite comfortable with what they find at the bottom of the barrel. I say, more power to you folks but please don't come back and say things like: all dominicans think gringos have unlimited weath, dominicans make 38 dollars / month, girls have to sell their bodies to support their babies left behind by male dominicans, its the custom here, they steal and lie, dominicans only want visa, they all want to marry a gringo etc etc etc. You sound soooooooooo stupid and narrow minded. You people only know the poor culture of this country. You will never understand my message because you folks are mentally weak.
AZB
I really thought that I was going to get some highly educated viewpoints, standards of living a clean quality way of life from your post? Maybe next time :nervous:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I wonder if people are this passionate about the poor people back home. Why does trolling the 'hood for friends and lovers become so cool on vacation?

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Probably not

xamaicano said:
I wonder if people are this passionate about the poor people back home. Why does trolling the 'hood for friends and lovers become so cool on vacation?

I have been reading this thread from blondie up to this post. if they want to experience the ( life ) Dominican life by having a boyfriend/ girlfriend, that's their problem and or good fortune. Everyone sometime has to learn from their mistake and own experience. It is also a very well known fact that, generaly speaking, of course not all of island mens, like to show off, expensive shoes, clothes, jewelry, dress like rappers or pimps, just look at the sport news every morning, again not all of them, they like to show they've made it, fur coats when it is 80 degrees and so on. They like it and so what if that makes them happy to dress funny to our eyes, it gives me a good laugh anyway. Some of us are very conservative the way we dress and some other are not, but one thing I know, not to many Canadians would be caught dressed like snoopy dog/mc hammer/ dead rapper that was disrespected cause someone looked at his girlfriend funny and he just had to shoot someone to re-gain his respect in front of his tatoed, gold chain wearing, pants to his ankle, Tommy underwear up to their arm pit so call friends. I have manny friends that work seven days a week to save money till vacation time, one of them brought with him 15,000.00 us for one month vacation, just to play the rich men when he goes back home, the one thing they don't know back home is, he only takes 30 days off a year, works 335 days a year just to impress people back home, what kind of life is that?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Thank you

MerengueDutchie said:
My dear Mofi,

Pls stick to things you know about.. numbers isn't one of them and what poor Dominicans pay for their living conditions neither...

Poor Dominicans live in relatively simple (mostly wooden) houses.. they pay Dominican rents.. which can be anything from RD$ 1,000 to RD$ 4,000... not US$ 500 for an appartment.. they usually do not pay utilities.. they can get by on Rd$ 50-100 for food and transport a day.. so they will manage if the family income is around 3,500 - 6,000 pesos a month.. usually there will be 1 to 2 income earners in the household so the income is between RD$ 3,500 -7,000... I agree..they will not have a lot of things but then again they will not starve either

Where did you get the idea that Dominicans work short hours?

Thank you. Atleast some one understands. I think he is a DR specialist or something.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh Shi*!!

easygoin said:
first off I said probably, have two very good friends that are chiropractors. Been in business over 20 years I know what they make else I wouldn't make that statement. And I also have a friend that is an orthopedic surgeon and a very good one at that. He makes about three times more than my other bodies due. one of my closest friends that I see once a week used to own home shoppers network but you would never know it by the way he acts.

Sure money is important when you get in a jam. But that's what real friends are about they become your friend not by judging you how much money you have or they have. I have many of friends known for years and not very well-off, but I don't consider them any different than any other of my friends it's called being real. if They need financial help I help them. And the funny thing is six months later they'll come up to me and say heres the money back thanks for helping out, and I totally forgot because they're my friends.

Every time I go to Brazil I always end up in sao luis up in the Northeast. Very very poor city but I love it there. Great culture and the people are wonderful and I love that help them out, like fixing their hut's helping them clean and buying their children something nice and feeding the dogs people food and they think I'm crazy I just laugh. So I have seen bad places it's very unfortunate but with a little help there's always hope. ;)
3 paragraphs that talks about you, you and more you. The funny part is that I understood everything YOU said.

I will say it very loud this time: MONEY IS WHAT MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND.

Some of my dearests friends in the DR, going back more than 30 years, are poor people that I would never change for any of my well-to-do friends but again, I have to be realistic and I do know that if I ever need $ 500,000, I would ask the person that most likely has it, the rich one.

Let's get back to the topic, please!.

Status
Not open for further replies.