I need some advice about Sankies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
thanks for your reactions guys

Thanks but I would not consider myself an expert on all things in the DR.. but I love Latin culture, society, politics and music and have studied it quite extensively.. also I've been a couple of times to various Latin countries (last year I spent about 6 months in the Carribean) and kept my eyes open.. I speak spanish and tend to meet a lot of locals and not many tourists on my travels.. I also read a lot on the boards..

Two points I have observed and would like to make though..

1) The reason most visitors come into contact with the poorer sections of the population imo is due to the fact that these are most in proximity of tourists (for obvious reasons) and therefore more available /approachable

2) It is not as easy to meet the more affluent sections of DR society, mainly because they have no vested interest in meeting tourists and also they select on their own level.. which I'm afraid to say is not that of most tourists..

So residents we might have to cut the visitors some slack if they mostly associate with the poorer sections of DR society and visistors you might have to try and see beyond your scope of experience in order to gain more understanding..

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You folks over simplify my message. I am not saying that poor folks are not worth as having friends and richer ones are more deserving of my hand etc. I am not rich nor very poor. I travel more to USA and many other countries from dominican earnings than many of you dollar earning rich folks back in 1st world. I travel every 3-4 months and see exotic places. Most of my real friends in NYC are not rich. They are struggling. These guys I grew up with and they are considered my family. What I am trying to tell you folks is simple. You all complain of how dominicans always want money from foreigners, how they all want to squeeze gifts from you folks when you come and visit them. These resort folks are experts in leeching off tourists. They do this to everyone. Now if you folks are not so generous back home to poor folks then why become mother theresa when you land here? If you folks really want to help poor dominicans then get out of resort areas and go where the real poor folks live, campos. These folks are hard working people who don't sell their souls to tourists in exchange for money. If you would like to help someone, help them. They will not ask for nike sneakers or a tommy shirt. they will ask for real things that are needed.
I always give money to beggers who are missing a limb. I know quite a few professional beggers in santiago who walk around with fake bandages and casts. I alway dish out 20 - 100 pesos to folks with missing limbs.
Now back home I didn't socialize with poor folks from projects so naturally I don't go looking for poor folks in DR. My friends are well off and no one needs any financial assistance from me. If I need a favor, they are there for me and help me out of jams. I do the same for them. You will notice, the poor folks in DR are always in a jam (unneccessary problems). They will always call upon you to help them financially. They will always have a problem where the solution will always cost money. Poor folks have no political connections or any connections. They will not be able to give you any info on anything. They know nothing. Poor folks will bring you problems if you stay with them long enough. The list is never ending. So please tell me this: what is so wrong with socializing with dominicans of equal socio-economical status? is it really wrong to be dealing only with dominicans of better class? Does that make me evil? A bad person? This is all coming from living experience in DR. You folks want to reinvent the wheel, be my guest.
AZB

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
No are you?

stallion said:
I suppose you are Dominican Right? or not.
No but that doesn't mean I don't know people who are and doesn't mean i can't get information like that from a hotel that I worked for. I know for fact that a dancer in Dominican at the hotel chain that i worked at makes less much less then a dancer at the same hotel chain in spain or mexico, thats just in the money not to mention that the people in spain and mexico have there housing paid for as well where as that is not usually the case in DR

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
MerengueDutchie said:
My dear Mofi,

Where did you get the idea that Dominicans work short hours?

Shorter hours was in reference to one job in specific, not in all jobs. Obviously thats not the case.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I agree with you on this one.

AZB said:
You folks over simplify my message. I am not saying that poor folks are not worth as having friends and richer ones are more deserving of my hand etc. I am not rich nor very poor. I travel to more USA and many other countries from dominican earnings than many of you dollar earning rich folks back in 1st world. I travel every 3-4 months and see exotic places. Most of my real friends in NYC are not rich. They are struggling. These guys I grew up with and they are considered my family. What I am trying to tell you folks is simple. You all complain of how dominicans always want money from foreigners, how they all want to squeeze gifts from you folks when you come and visit them. These resort folks are experts in leeching off tourists. They do this to everyone. Now if you folks are not so generous back home to poor folks then why become mother theresa when you land here? If you folks really want to help poor dominicans then get out of resort areas and go where the real poor folks live, campos. These folks are hard working people who don't sell their souls to tourists in exchange for money. If you would like to help someone, help them. They will not ask for nike sneakers or a tommy shirt. they will ask for real things that are needed.
I always give money to beggers who are missing a limb. I know quite a few professional beggers in santiago who walk around with fake bandages and casts. I alway dish out 20 - 100 pesos to folks with missing limbs.
Now back home I didn't socialize with poor folks from projects so naturally I don't go looking for poor folks in DR. My friends are well off and no one needs any financial assistance from me. If I need a favor, they are there for me and help me out of jams. I do the same for them. You will notice, the poor folks in DR are always in a jam (unneccessary problems). They will always call upon you to help them financially. They will always have a problem where the solution will always cost money. Poor folks have no political connections or any connections. They will not be able to give you any info on anything. They know nothing. Poor folks will bring you problems if you stay with them long enough. The list is never ending. So please tell me this: what is so wrong with socialing with dominicans of equal socio-economical status? is it really wrong to be dealing only with dominicans of better class? Does that make me evil? A bad person? This is all coming from living experience in DR. You folks want to reinvent the wheel, be my guest.
AZB
OK i agree with you on this one, it is a little odd people fork over money to hotel workers but would never do it at home if they encountered a homeless person on the street...I can't speak for everyone but in canada I know i don't hand over money to poor people on the streets, but I don't do it out of the country either, or to resort workers for that matter. The only thing that I don't agree with in your statemend is that is that poor people know nothing....theres lots of people who are poor who have many things they could share but they don't have the oppertunity to do so because society doesn't allow it. Furthermore, if they really truely know nothing it's societies problem as a whole, because they are poor doesn't mean they should be deprived of an education. Nothing is wrong with you hanging out with people of your status, choose whoever you want as friends, thats your life and if thats what makes you happy then do it.

azuacanadagirl

Jan 24, 2005
Hey AZB I can actually hear what you're saying now

I couldn't help but notice that by friend Mira has had some impact on you.

Just wanted to say that for the first time I was reading your reply and actually understood what you are trying to say. It is pretty hard for girls like me or Mira or Toronto Blonde to respect the opinions of someone who constantly is attacking our integrity or pride. We Canadian women are good people.

I agree that I wouldn't mingle with low society in poor neighbourhoods back home. Thing is, when we go to all inclusive resorts for a week or two, we only see the good side of these people. We don't automatically know how poor, how educated, how unworthy of our trust resort workers are. I wish we could meet other Dominicans, I just love to go out in the real world. Thing is, for a woman, it is not easy to just leave the resort and be really safe. We are warned at resorts not to do so when the sun goes down. So we are attracted by sankies or non-sankies that work there because they are different and warm.

AZB, it is nice for you to share with us your wisdom and experience without feeling personnaly attacked. I am learning to respect you. I hope that your new way of expressing yourself can really help us girls who need help and come here seeking info.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nice Dominican people are out during the day as well. ;) Do get out of the resort. What the resort tells you is so that you'll spend all your money there. Such as escursions and things like that. They don't want you to know that you can get the same thing cheaper outside.

Get back by dark if you're that scared. But do get out. ;)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
You see why the women of this site who've been here a while never get riled by AZB? It never takes long to see the real AZB stand up - once you know him, you have to appreciate his sense of humour. He's a very funny man who likes to get things going in this forum.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
trina said:
You see why the women of this site who've been here a while never get riled by AZB? It never takes long to see the real AZB stand up - once you know him, you have to appreciate his sense of humour. He's a very funny man who likes to get things going in this forum.

At least, when he posts, there is some life on this site!! ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Here it goes again!!

mofi said:
I know for fact that a dancer in Dominican at the hotel chain that i worked at makes less much less then a dancer at the same hotel chain in spain or mexico, thats just in the money not to mention that the people in spain and mexico have there housing paid for as well where as that is not usually the case in DR
But do you also know for a fact that maybe the reason that they are making more money is due to the fact that maybe, just MAYBE, the cost of life/living in Mexico and Spain is higher than the "Dominican" Republic?.

Let me give you an example and at the same time make it easier for you to understand:

Forest Hills, NY= high cost of living, 2 liter soda, $ 1.69. Now compare:

Reading, PA= Midium cost of living, 2 liter of same soda, $ 1.29.

West Reading, Pa= Low cost of living, 2 liter of same soda, $.99. Now, do you get my drift or should I give you 1,00 more examples?. Ok, maybe one more, and it's thread related:

I am sure that it would cost MORE in Mexico and Spain to "bang" those dancers, right?. See, the high cost of living!!

AZB, I promise you that I was not the one that let your secret out, ;) ;)

Last edited:

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
One though comes to mind and it applies here but also everywhere. Why would anyone want to be friends with the foreigners who are there for only a week? There really is not really a purpose in it, I mean meet for a week and then continue on until ????

And then how would the tow paths cross for these two people to be friends. Streets, shopping I really do not think so. Bars and Discos maybe. That is why tourists meet sankies and even foriengers who live here in the begining. Their paths are more likely to cross.

Now if a foriegner starts to do things outside of the tourism realm then they might meet non sankie dominicans.

azuacanadagirl

Jan 24, 2005
Do get out of the resort.

I second this. And now that I have been out of the resort for adventure, I would not be scared to do it again. There are a lot of nice dominican people. I have been out by myself, alone, sometimes at night, took motoconchos and I did feel safe. Anyway, as much as I do in Montreal. I was not scared. People were very helpful and treated me very nicely. You just have to learn to be direct and say no when someone hits on you. They do, then leave you alone.

Be careful though with money exchange. Know what US dollars are worth in pesos cause a few times they tried to charge me more in US. After a few times, I always asked the price in pesos and figured out myself how much it was in US money. When I told them I only had US, they charged me up to $12. more for a $30. item. I explained myself, and they acknowledged their mistake (if it was one). A Dominican friend told me they do this to make extra money sometimes because they know we are not aware.

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Do go outside

Anna Coniglio said:
Nice Dominican people are out during the day as well. ;) Do get out of the resort. What the resort tells you is so that you'll spend all your money there. Such as escursions and things like that. They don't want you to know that you can get the same thing cheaper outside.

Get back by dark if you're that scared. But do get out. ;)

I have an example, Sunwing agent at the hotel was offering a day trip for 100.00 us, the same trip across the road at Mel's in Sosua was half the price

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Very good point

miguel said:
But do you also know for a fact that maybe the reason that they are making more money is due to the fact that maybe, just MAYBE, the cost of life/living in Mexico and Spain is higher than the "Dominican" Republic?.

Let me give you an example and at the same time make it easier for you to understand:

West Reading, Pa= Low cost of living, 2 liter of same soda, $.99. Now, do you get my drift or should I give you 1,00 more examples?. Ok, maybe one more, and it's thread related:

I am sure that it would cost MORE in Mexico and Spain to "bang" those dancers, right?. See, the high cost of living!!

AZB, I promise you that I was not the one that let your secret out!!.
thanks for helping me see different viewpoints that's important THEN I view in your posts whether right or wrong. But but but but? Why be so negative in all of your comebacks. And always needing of approval by your body? Let's get back to the topic PLEASE.

Basically she needs to watch her own back on her own .bottom line no help needed. Good luck ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I am going back to school because.....

easygoin said:
thanks for helping me see different viewpoints that's important THEN I view in your posts whether right or wrong. But but but but? Why be so negative in all of your comebacks. And always needing of approval by your body? Let's get back to the topic PLEASE.

Basically she needs to watch her own back on her own .bottom line no help needed. Good luck ;)
For some reason, whatever you wrote, I could not understand.

Man, I need no aproval by my "body", my body is big and round. Did you mean "buddy" by any chance?.

The only think that I could really understand, somewhat, in your post is the "why be so negative in all your comebacks". Well, sometimes I just get sick and tired of people when they generalize and try to enforce their ways of thinking to others. I may not be as diplomatic as others but at least I say what I feel and I feel what I say. Have you ever heard of "cada cabeza es un mundo"?.

Thread related: MARRY THE GUY IF YOU WANT!

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
miguel said:

AZB, I promise you that I was not the one that let your secret out, ;) ;)

You must have missed part of my post, in mexico they make more money and they have no living costs they don't pay for there housing its paid for by the hotel, they don't pay for the food they eat whenever they want at the hotel, they don't pay for electricity ect ect ect......and its not that expensive to live in mexico to start with......but the whole point because i don't really feel like arguing about this anymore was that, if the girl offers the guy the money then so be it, its her fault for offering it in the first place, not saying the guy isn't a sankie or that he should take it but if shes going to put herself out there like that then thats her problem.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
mofi said:
No but that doesn't mean I don't know people who are and doesn't mean i can't get information like that from a hotel that I worked for. I know for fact that a dancer in Dominican at the hotel chain that i worked at makes less much less then a dancer at the same hotel chain in spain or mexico, thats just in the money not to mention that the people in spain and mexico have there housing paid for as well where as that is not usually the case in DR

Mofi,

There is such a thing as comparable cost of living.. you will find a site here..

http://www.mercerhr.com/knowledgecenter/reportsummary.jhtml/dynamic/idContent/1169365

On this basis some objectivity can be inserted into the discussion, whether a dancer in Spain, Mexico and the DR earn comparatively the same or not.. It is all about purchasing power... not about absolute income.. frankly I am surprised that this concept has not entered your mind before.. but I am always happy to educate the ignorant..

MD

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
miguel said:
There are many orphans in the DR that need help more than a CHARLATAN that works at his father's store.

I am with you 100% on this one.

I think that the owner of the shop being his father may just be another fabricated lie to make her think that he did not need any money.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
A.J. said:
One though comes to mind and it applies here but also everywhere. Why would anyone want to be friends with the foreigners who are there for only a week? There really is not really a purpose in it, I mean meet for a week and then continue on until ????

And then how would the tow paths cross for these two people to be friends. Streets, shopping I really do not think so. Bars and Discos maybe. That is why tourists meet sankies and even foriengers who live here in the begining. Their paths are more likely to cross.

Now if a foriegner starts to do things outside of the tourism realm then they might meet non sankie dominicans.

One of the best place to meet non-sankies is in a church.
You will never catch a sanky going to church unless he is there marrying his sankiesfied victim which for him it will be a sacrifice that will last till you give him that Green Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.