I want to bring in 2 Tvs less than $200

windy_yang

Feb 8, 2017
32inch do not have FHD model, but only HD model, i think.
But i do not understand why TV sold twice expensive than in USA? Bcd of tax?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I lost count a long time ago the amount of TV's I brought into this country in my luggage. Never paid one peso.

have they ever checked your luggage and have found TV? if caught and you declare it as used tv, do you still pay duty?
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I lost count a long time ago the amount of TV's I brought into this country in my luggage. Never paid one peso.

have they ever checked your luggage and have found TV? if caught and you declare it as used tv, do you still pay duty?
AZB

SKY prefers the in the luggage method, I prefer in the original shipping carton method. Both methods work and not a peso in taxes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
AZB

One time I was caught with the TV in my luggage. I said it was a computer monitor and he sent me through. No duty on monitors. And out of the box it could well be a monitor.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I will try both methods. I have already bought one which will be shipped soon here and BM cargo will bring it to me for about 1200 pesos total.
On my next trip I will bring one in my suitcase and see what happens.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My question has always been........... Is it indeed the law that up to a 32" TV valued at less than $200 USD can be brought into the country without having to pay taxes? If so why try to hide, why try to call it a monitor, why lie and say it is used?

From the amount of 32" and below size TVs I have seen go through SDQ in original carton I don't understand the confusion.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The problem in the DR is that the law could say one thing, but the one enforcing it could do another thing. And there is nothing you can do about it. If they don't see it you will be a lot better off.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The problem in the DR is that the law could say one thing, but the one enforcing it could do another thing. And there is nothing you can do about it. If they don't see it you will be a lot better off.

I guess........

Some people worry more than others. Myself i couldn't be bothered trying to find a piece of luggage to hold a 32" TV, wrapping the TV up and wondering if it will arrive damaged. In my case i get 2nd luggage free so a no brainer for me, original cardboard box.

You have had success "hiding" it and i have seen plenty of success stories at SDQ of those who take no effort to "hide" it.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Never to hide...........I take most things out of box , to save space..............never hide anything.........

Apr 7, 2014
So here we go again:
I know if the Tv is less than $200 dollars and if I have the receipt then I am home free but what if I bring in 2 (32 inch) Tvs, would my TVs be counted as 2 TVs individually costing less then $200 each or will the price of both TVs will be added up and then I will be charged tax?
I know the prices of TV have dropped in stores in DR but I also know the cheaper TVs they are selling are generic chinese models with 720p resolution. I can get a nice name brand TV from walmart which will be a smart TV (netflex apps and youtube etc integrated) plus it will be full HD 1080p resolution. All for less than 200 dollars. This TV doesn't exist in DR for a cheap price at all. all 32 inch TVs in DR are basically 720p resolution and are not even smart TV. I think most models in this class are either obsolete models or fake chinese brands with inferior image quality.
So please answer my question if you have any solid info. I have already done my foot work in DR stores and I know exactly what is available here and for what price. I fly to USA almost every month so going back and forth in order to get warranty repair is not a problem. I will get 2 yrs warranty in USA if I use my master card to buy the item.
AZB

lemme know, because I wanna do the same thing.  Sears is closing select stores and liquidating entire store inventory so this would be a good idea to bring those size LCD tvs.  But warranty work?  In this environment?  It is easier to wait until a Black Friday sale and just replace it versus getting it repaired.

Apr 7, 2014
I guess........

Some people worry more than others. Myself i couldn't be bothered trying to find a piece of luggage to hold a 32" TV, wrapping the TV up and wondering if it will arrive damaged. In my case i get 2nd luggage free so a no brainer for me, original cardboard box.

You have had success "hiding" it and i have seen plenty of success stories at SDQ of those who take no effort to "hide" it.

that was my question, how big is your suitcase that you can smuggle in a 32" TV without damaging it?  And how do you check that as a carry-on bag?  Because I m not letting of illiterate ogre play football with my new tv in checked baggage?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
that was my question, how big is your suitcase that you can smuggle in a 32" TV without damaging it?  And how do you check that as a carry-on bag?  Because I m not letting of illiterate ogre play football with my new tv in checked baggage?

I did it a number of years ago. First you need a suitcase large enough but make sure whatever airline you are flying it does not exceed the weight and especially the dimenstions for size. There are restrictions from some airports as to what can be brought into the DR. Second, you will most likely have to pay for an additional piece of luggage or two which could add up to an additonal $75 or more. Third you may have to pay a duty when you get to the DR. Years ago they didn't pay much attention to "gringos"on vacation but now everyone is fair game. Fourth, if you show up in the DR with not one but two very large suitcases a red flag will go up. I think you are pushing your luck trying to bring in two. I would order the other through a forwarding company and pay the delivery charge. It is going to cost you extra from airline and the hassle at customs in the DR. In addition when you go out and have to buy two large suitcases you may not be any further ahead moneywise. I hope you were not serious when you asked if you could carry it on. C'mon man!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My question has always been........... Is it indeed the law that up to a 32" TV valued at less than $200 USD can be brought into the country without having to pay taxes? If so why try to hide, why try to call it a monitor, why lie and say it is used?

From the amount of 32" and below size TVs I have seen go through SDQ in original carton I don't understand the confusion.

problem was, not long ago, a nice 32 inch Tv would cost more than 200 dollars and the duty on it could be as much as 48%. This is why people were looking for ways to smuggle it in. Now that these same Tvs are less than 200 dollars, I will not be trying to hide it in anyway. I will check in a TV in original box with receipt in hand. I think I will be 0k.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Were you kidding or a typo about a 32" TV as a carry-on?

Baggage handlers at the airports can't be worse than UPS or any other delivery serice if you have seen how they handle packages. Just me but i prefer the original carton because it was designed for shipping. Pack it yourself in luggage is your choice. My flights into SDQ are 95% Dominican passengers so i have seen my share of TVs brought into la rep dom. Never saw a palm get greased and never saw anyone pulled to the side.

As previously mentioned you really pushing your luck trying to bring in two TVs in one trip.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

I've done it twice in the last year with 32" flats creens, flying into pop. I found two large suitcases on craigslist, and the 32" tv's fit in one nicely (seperate trips) with lots of room for padding. Used foam pipe insulation around the edges of tv, foam sheets around whole thing, and lots of towels that had to make the trip anyways. Both tv's made it fine. If you're going to try checking it in the original box you should first check the airlines rules. Some airlines don't allow boxes as checked luggage.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........If you're going to try checking it in the original box you should first check the airlines rules. Some airlines don't allow boxes as checked luggage.

Good point, but make sure when checking with the airline to mention it is a TV in the original shipping carton. Depending on the airline some see it as a cardboard box others recognize it as a shipping carton.

I know United Airlines does not allow cardboard boxes during the Christmas holiday season but allows TVs in original shipping carton. So as you say, best to check first.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
delta allows cardboard type boxes and I ship a cardboard box almost on all my trips coming back to DR.
I think bigbird mentioned that the biggest Tv allowed tax free (less than 200 dollars) is 32 inches?
I see a 40" Tv for less than 200 dollars at walmart (refurbished). are you saying I would be paying custom duty on it if i bring it to DR? Please explain this part.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
delta allows cardboard type boxes and I ship a cardboard box almost on all my trips coming back to DR.
I think bigbird mentioned that the biggest Tv allowed tax free (less than 200 dollars) is 32 inches?
I see a 40" Tv for less than 200 dollars at walmart (refurbished). are you saying I would be paying custom duty on it if i bring it to DR? Please explain this part.
AZB

First off i don't have the "ley" but for years it has always been mentioned 32" or less no taxes provided $200 USD or less. The problem with the 40" other than being over the 32" limit is the liner inches. Off the top of my head United limit is 62 linear inches (L+W+H), above that you pay dearly. Don't forget this would NOT be actual TV dimensions but dimensions when TV is packed in shipping container or luggage.