I want to bring in 2 Tvs less than $200

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First off i don't have the "ley" but for years it has always been mentioned 32" or less no taxes provided $200 USD or less. The problem with the 40" other than being over the 32" limit is the liner inches. Off the top of my head United limit is 62 linear inches (L+W+H), above that you pay dearly. Don't forget this would NOT be actual TV dimensions but dimensions when TV is packed in shipping container or luggage.

my concern is the actual rule in Tv size. If i get a 40 inch tv I will be having it shipped here via BM cargo. the Tvs have come down in weight, thanks to integrated circuit technology and BM cargo charges per pound. so i can care less how they will have it shipped here.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
my concern is the actual rule in Tv size. If i get a 40 inch tv I will be having it shipped here via BM cargo. the Tvs have come down in weight, thanks to integrated circuit technology and BM cargo charges per pound. so i can care less how they will have it shipped here.
AZB

In that case simply ask BM cargo.

Jan 9, 2004
AZB

As per AE, and I can concur, the tax/freight via Mundanza on a TV regardless of size, and unless you get it in via suitcase or some other surreptitious means is approximately $8 an inch. There is no ley regarding 32" or under. Only what gets caught and or is under $200.00.....which will likely also include a per pound fee from the likes of a CPS/EPS etc. Continuing, your invoice on a TV means nothing to them. They have a book and go by screen size when determining value.

Find someone coming down and have them take a 32" in their suitcase...that generally works.

Either way, good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed, too much grief for me.
Mudanza... armchair shopping 

Flaunting the rules or using live bullets to get answer spooks me

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
AZB
You will be very OK.....

Report back when you can 

Check with your airline before you bring a 32" tv to the airport. There are restrictions what you can bring onto an airline to go to the DR and expect to pay additional for it. I checked the JetBlue website and it states very clearly that you CAN'T check in boxes as luggage on International Flights. The only way you can bring a TV in is taking it out of the box and putting it into a suitcase and they also list the max dimensions for a piece of luggage.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
a 32 inch tv box in delta is completely OK. I always check in boxes bigger than the 32 inch TV without any problems in delta flights to DR. Now I ma not sure if they actually allow TV boxes with TV inside. this I would have to find out for sure.

AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
As per AE, and I can concur, the tax/freight via Mundanza on a TV regardless of size, and unless you get it in via suitcase or some other surreptitious means is approximately $8 an inch. There is no ley regarding 32" or under. Only what gets caught and or is under $200.00.....which will likely also include a per pound fee from the likes of a CPS/EPS etc. Continuing, your invoice on a TV means nothing to them. They have a book and go by screen size when determining value.

Find someone coming down and have them take a 32" in their suitcase...that generally works.

Either way, good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I will prove to you that a legitimate receipt will do the magic. The problem is that dominican authorities make up BS rules to get money out of gringos. they will continue to do so as long as you guys will pay up without any confrontation. I don't pay like that. When I am right, I make sure I am not cheated.
example: a brand new cell phone was stopped at customs in DR. the sender didn't sent receipt. BMcargo asked me for a receipt. I just made up a receipt with the actual amount (less than 200 dollars). My fake receipt was accepted and phone was released.
Now my TV is in miami and walmart didn't sent an invoice/receipt. No problem. I just took a screen shot of my receipt from walmart.com with my address and shipping address and Tv's details and the actual total price I paid. I sent it as JPG picture. I will bet it will be accepted and my TV will be released.
So when people come up with stories that this and that happened to them, I just giggle. This only happens to people who will pay anything just so they won't have to raise a finger.
I will let everyone know what happened when my Tv is in my hands. my only concern is: I hope the screen is not cracked in shipping.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just spoke to BM cargo. There is no limit to TV size. As long as the TV is below 200 dollars, you pay no custom duty on the item.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
someone said mudanza is the best way to get a TV because they charge $8 dollars/inch? this is insane. 55 inch x 8=440 dollars.
for this insane fee I might as well buy a TV here and be done with.
AZB

Jan 9, 2004
I will prove to you that a legitimate receipt will do the magic. The problem is that dominican authorities make up BS rules to get money out of gringos. they will continue to do so as long as you guys will pay up without any confrontation. I don't pay like that. When I am right, I make sure I am not cheated.
example: a brand new cell phone was stopped at customs in DR. the sender didn't sent receipt. BMcargo asked me for a receipt. I just made up a receipt with the actual amount (less than 200 dollars). My fake receipt was accepted and phone was released.
Now my TV is in miami and walmart didn't sent an invoice/receipt. No problem. I just took a screen shot of my receipt from walmart.com with my address and shipping address and Tv's details and the actual total price I paid. I sent it as JPG picture. I will bet it will be accepted and my TV will be released.
So when people come up with stories that this and that happened to them, I just giggle. This only happens to people who will pay anything just so they won't have to raise a finger.
I will let everyone know what happened when my Tv is in my hands. my only concern is: I hope the screen is not cracked in shipping.
AZB

Why the drama then?

You said in the first post..."I fly to USA almost every month."

If so, buy it, keep your real receipt and put it in your suitcase on the return flight.....should be end of story. You would then even avoid BMCargo's per pound fee.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Why the drama then?

You said in the first post..."I fly to USA almost every month."

If so, buy it, keep your real receipt and put it in your suitcase on the return flight.....should be end of story. You would then even avoid BMCargo's per pound fee.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

you seem to miss out on my very first post. I am just trying to show the most easiest path to getting a nice Tv for no custom tax. you approach is anything but cheap. in fact, this mudanza approach is rather costly and defeats the whole purpose of getting a Tv from usa.
I wanted to show 32 inch 1080p smart TV can be brought here , custom tax free and delivered to your location for as little as 1200 pesos or a bit more. Now I have confirmed even a 40 inch Tv less than 200 dollars is free of duty as well.
you have participated in this this thread with the most insane method which is not only costly but also defeats the purpose of starting this thread. then you go on spreading the fear that customs will not accept the original receipt and may actually come up with their own price tag and charge the customs fees. this is completely untrue. I will show that my way is the easiest and the cheapest as well.
Now I am not sure if I can check in a 40 inch Tv box as luggage in delta. the 40inch TV box is bigger than the allowed size of cardboard box. the 32 inch fits well with the dimensions.
so the moral of the story is: if you want a nice smart TV 32-40 inch screen, less than 200 dollars, then buy it online and get it via BM cargo or other cheaper service. If you travel on delta then buy a 32 inch TV and check it in as luggage. do bring a valid receipt in both cases. case closed.
I will post again after I get the TV in hand.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........I am just trying to show the most easiest path to getting a nice Tv for no custom tax..............
AZB

The thing is AZB there is a long line ahead of you with people who have already brought in a 32" TV without paying any taxes. Not like you doing something new. Now you bring down a 40" on an airline without paying anything extra then you got something to pat yourself on the back for.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Few years ago I brought a 46" on a plane, didn't pay a penny in tax.

A bunch of customs morons saw my big TV and started giggling and ran their hands together, I showed them a $190 receipt (for a 32" tv) and I was on my way.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

A bunch of customs morons saw my big TV and started giggling and ran their hands together, I showed them a $190 receipt (for a 32" tv) and I was on my way.

Did the airline charge you extra for oversize luggage?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The thing is AZB there is a long line ahead of you with people who have already brought in a 32" TV without paying any taxes. Not like you doing something new. Now you bring down a 40" on an airline without paying anything extra then you got something to pat yourself on the back for.

but my thread was not about sneaking in a TV in a suitcase. I was referring to bringing in a TV legally with a receipt. the sneaking in method doesn't say anything about the legal custom actions if caught. now it's clear that anyone can bring in a 32 inch Tv in hand or checked in (if allowed) and not have to hide a thing from customs. just show a receipt and walk away. I have also cleared up the confusion on buying online and having it sent here via bmcargo or other services. your receipt will be valid, even a photo of your receipt will be valid. no one will come up with their own price tag for your TV and screw you into paying a huge custom fee. if that had happened in the past, it will not happen now.
32 inch TV box can be checked in as luggage in delta flights to DR, 40 inch tv box maybe too big to check in. so you might have to pay extra fee to send that in. this will defeat the purpose, so it's best to buy that TV online and send it via dominican delivery service (BM cargo).
last point: mudanza ($8 / inch) is the most costly way to buy a TV. it will cost you hundreds of dollars to get a decent sized tv. Totally stupid method to buy a TV. this advice is the most counterproductive and the most costly method in comparison to the methods covered in this thread.
so yes, there are many people who have brought TV in this country but no clear legal way was discussed. so now we have a clear understanding of how this is done.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

i would say, you got lucky, but I am glad you got away with it.
here is another method: buy a nice sized TV, take off the stickers and make up a ebay receipt as used tv. make the receipt less than 200 dollars. you will be ok at customs. They do accept ebay receipts. Like I said, I made a fake receipt for a new phone and got away with it.
AZB

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Did the airline charge you extra for oversize luggage?

No. Although they state the box can be 62 inches, they typically don't measure when you check in luggage.

I often bring luggage larger than whats allowed, it's the weight thats the issue.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
No. Although they state the box can be 62 inches, they typically don't measure when you check in luggage.

I often bring luggage larger than whats allowed, it's the weight thats the issue.

depends on employee. I had a delta employee take out measuring tape and started to measure the box. uff, this guy was going by the books. then another agent came by who was my friend and he helped me out. made the guy stop his measuring and told him that i was his friend. but i was sure the guy was going to throw the book at me with all the rules.
AZB