I wish someone had warned me about living in the DR ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you care if I approve.... my additional thread was intended to add flavor and more perspective.. to show you are not alone...

approval/disapproval don't enter into subjective observations of life in RD.

Sit back.... Harleyrocks will suffer for you... Hrock sweats it... no need to to

It isn't that hard when you squint your eyes to fit the country you're in.....
not Kansas

What exactly am I suffering for and sweating?!

May 29, 2006
One thing that got to me after a while was craving American foods that I would hardly ever have in the US. You end up looking for something simply because it's American and when you can't find it, you go on a mission to find out if you can even get it in the DR. It's the little things that bug you like that. You see Brits get all misty eyed when they talk about parsnips or mushy peas. Spices and condiments are often hard to come by. Even the black pepper in the DR is awful~ it's like dust.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
One thing that got to me after a while was craving American foods that I would hardly ever have in the US. You end up looking for something simply because it's American and when you can't find it, you go on a mission to find out if you can even get it in the DR. It's the little things that bug you like that. You see Brits get all misty eyed when they talk about parsnips or mushy peas. Spices and condiments are often hard to come by. Even the black pepper in the DR is awful~ it's like dust.
But it is easy to get good pepper- imported, or local non-ground. One just has to learn to use research skills. It's part of the challenge of living here.

May 29, 2006
That's why it's the little things that are so irksome. Going to another town or doing research for an inverter or battery is one thing, but pepper? Not really worth a trip to POP or Santiago from Sosua. I'll simply bring a disposable shaker or two from the US for about a buck each, along with a dozen other spices. I like my Old Bay..

old-bay-seasoning-can.jpg

May 29, 2006
I agree that improvising solutions is "part of the fun," but there are things you can't help taking for granted. When I was in Japan, I used a Kim Chi mix to make myself beef tamales. Masa Harina was available, but chili powder wasn't. Never found chili powder(or Masa) in Sosua come to think of it. Brown and serve sausage(AKA "cat turds") only made me crave Jimmy Dean sausage in natural casings and REAL maple syrup.

When I got to craving pizza, I ended up making bruschetta instead~ fresh basil is cheap to make pesto and the plum tomatoes are usually excellent. That, some crappy locally made French bread and some parmesan made for some good eats hitting all the bases for pizza. But on my next trip, I'll be bringing my own pizza stone as well. You adapt with what's on hand and then work to a better solution when you can get the materials you want.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well....
Positive - Negative is far too simple for a country which is so complex...

Entonces, for me the DR is not another country. IT IS ANOTHER PLANET. IN ANOTHER SOLAR SYSTEM.
And basicly, it is what you make of it.

My main concern is the driving. If a foreign gets involved in a traffic accident, It can get very bad...

For the rest, everything is great for me even if it cant be paradise 24/7

BTW, dark scorpion and friends, why the fuc. are you still in the DR?

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
That's what I would like to know also.

I guess it boils down to sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know???

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Would not happen in the US...

Ordered pizza, didn't have any milk for the baby, asked the delivery driver to stop and pick up a carton on the way. Of course, this was no problem at all...

Would not happen in Canada...

Do your grocery, come back with the delivery truck and ask the driver to stop at pharmacy and wait for you... "No problem mi amor" was the answer... I still LOVE the D.R. after 2.5 years here....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Negative
1. cost of life
2. Selfish, inconsiderate people (capital)
3. I didn't remember the summers were this hot
4. I still don't like rice and beans and neither yucca. or sancocho. or locrio. or platanos.
5. Every month there is another imprevisto that takes you out of your budget (like someone said in the other thread, make a budget and double it).
6. I miss the developed world.

Positives:
1. Beautiful country (outside the capital)
2. Nice weather in autumn, winter and spring
3. I couldn't live my work life like I am doing here.
4. Those dominicans that became my friends are better friends than my dutch friends will ever be.

Mauricio

I don't know how long you have been here but I expect #2, #4 and #6 will change and will actually be added to your "positives" list. The reason is as your Spanish gets better you will start understanding the nuances of conversation and also will have the chance to partake in many pleasant conversations with people you meet. I expect the rice and beens will grow on you at some point and just to make sure visit a nice restaurant and order some as it could be your wife isn't seasoning them quite right. My wife didn't learn how to cook well until after we were married. Finally, regarding the developed world, keep reading the news and watching the consequences of your friends and family eating fake food and you will quit missing the "developed" world. :) Paz.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

The up side of that is the excitement of the arrival in the market of something new. When Vlasic pickles arrived I ate them for a week. I bought Sara Lee coffee cakes .. until I realized that they tasted stale..How can a frozen cake taste stale? And there are more and more "old friends" arriving.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My biggest regret is that I didn't work more on my Spanish. I'm always one or two words or sentences short of being able to explain or ask something.
I regret not building a house with a large parking area. The one I have barely fits my Santa Fe and I have to move it every morning to make room for secure parking for the teacher motorcycles.
I regret not buying more property within Jarabacoa proper when the property was less dear ( starts at 3500 peso per square metre now).
Not many other regrets. As I sit here on the computer I'm listening to our cleaning girl sing. Amazing voice, and she's very cute as well. Earning money to go to Dental school. Comes from a great family of hard working people that make the best roast pork in town.
Just had a visit from the JW's, Philippine-American (woman) and Canadian man. Had a great conversation, only about 30 seconds of it about religion. Strangely, most of our problem children at the school are JW's. Not sure if there's a connection there or not.
I also regret not bringing my good golf clubs and shoes, although getting out to golf is a challenge. I never realized early retirement was so busy.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Mauricio

I don't know how long you have been here but I expect #2, #4 and #6 will change and will actually be added to your "positives" list. The reason is as your Spanish gets better you will start understanding the nuances of conversation and also will have the chance to partake in many pleasant conversations with people you meet. I expect the rice and beens will grow on you at some point and just to make sure visit a nice restaurant and order some as it could be your wife isn't seasoning them quite right. My wife didn't learn how to cook well until after we were married. Finally, regarding the developed world, keep reading the news and watching the consequences of your friends and family eating fake food and you will quit missing the "developed" world. :) Paz.
In total I have been living here for 8 years and a bit. My Spanish is fluent. There are hardly any nuances I won't grab. It's better than my English. The last time I didn't understand a Dominican (it was at a client) I asked a Dominican girl who attended me at the place what he said, that I didn't understand anything. She told me: I don't know either. I never understand him when he speaks.

The selfishness is just something that's present, at least in Santo Domingo. Santiago might be different.

The food. I've always been picky with food. I didn't like rice and beans in 2000, I still don't like it in 2014. I do eat it, it just isn't something I enjoy eating.

The developed world...the problem is that SD has the worst of both.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In total I have been living here for 8 years and a bit. My Spanish is fluent. There are hardly any nuances I won't grab. It's better than my English. The last time I didn't understand a Dominican (it was at a client) I asked a Dominican girl who attended me at the place what he said, that I didn't understand anything. She told me: I don't know either. I never understand him when he speaks.

The selfishness is just something that's present, at least in Santo Domingo. Santiago might be different.

The food. I've always been picky with food. I didn't like rice and beans in 2000, I still don't like it in 2014. I do eat it, it just isn't something I enjoy eating.

The developed world...the problem is that SD has the worst of both.

I've never lived in the capital but I hear Santiago is much nicer. I'm not saying that everyone is nice here but generally speaking the majority of the people I encounter respect the protocols of polite conversation. I also expect the "gringo factor" is more of an issue in the capital and there is little you can do to resolve that unfortunately.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Chip is right. Most complaints seem to come from folks who are living in Santo Domingo (which can be a bit overwhelming) and Sosua (which is an otherwise very pleasant beach town still struggling with an out-of-control red light scene).

But one seldom hears of complaints from people living in other areas like Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Santiago or the Cibao Valley in general, Jarabacoa, Punta Cana, and the numerous other areas.

DR can be very, very pleasant.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I also have learned that I can pass as a Dominican or half Dominican in appearance at times which helps a lot to diminish the "gringo factor". Here are a couple of pictures with friends of mine in Santiago that I could pass as a cousin.

dfk0nt.jpg

28tyjr7.jpg

Speaking of the "gringo factor", that is somewhat a negative perception of gringos (except Christian missionaries) that I have become aware of over time. In fact, not too long ago I went to the grand opening of the Icono Tower here in Santiago with a friend and we were talking with a couple at our table and when the guy asked where I was from I stated "soy gringo" which ended the conversation to say the least. Granted, I generally don't hang out with the "elitists" so I hadn't been aware of this perception before. Nonetheless, I've decided to limit using the term gringo as it could hurt my networking.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
He asked you a straight question, you gave him a flip answer. He was well aware you are a gringo, Chip.

Despite your best and most futile efforts, you'll never assimilate. Math Man has a far better chance than you because he's at least ethnically Dominican, but he'll still have his work cut out for him.

They appreciate your efforts, I'm sure. Be happy with that, and keep it moving. :glasses:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
He asked you a straight question, you gave him a flip answer. He was well aware you are a gringo, Chip.

Despite your best and most futile efforts, you'll never assimilate. Math Man has a far better chance than you because he's at least ethnically Dominican, but he'll still have his work cut out for him.

They appreciate your efforts, I'm sure. Be happy with that, and keep it moving. :glasses:

With all due respect not all Dominicans are sure where I am from, some think I'm Dominican or half Dominican. As my accent has gotten better so has my perception from Dominicans changed. Granted, this generally only works in the Cibao region. In fact, just yesterday I was talking with the owner of a print shop who is as equally white as me and he starts talking like a boricua so I reciprocated. :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I "CAME" for the "FOOD"!
Best "PUSSY" I EVER ATE!!!!!!
Plentiful and CHEAP too!
"god" is punishing chip, by making him a stranger in a Strange Land!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.