Im thinking of moving to DR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2003
The simplest advice I can give you is to live like a POOR DOMINICAN. If you like the life, then the DR is for you.

If you attempt to foist upon the DR the lifestyle you have back home, then you'll meet frustration after frustration in your attempts to "equalize" the two. They are not "equalizable." They are inequalities that can never be resolved absolutely.

POOR DOMINICAN living is not that bad if you learn how to live like a POOR DOMINICAN the right way. That's what it all boils down to. How to live poorly the right way!!!

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I've been in Dominican (love) many times....Let's suppose that Maggie0517 is not senile (born in 05/17??) or suffering from penis whipping at the "hands" of a sanky. Let's say that she really wants to give the place a try. What would you recommend?

1) Read up on the place
2) Figure out finances--it costs a fair amount to live a Dominican middle class existence, and even more so if that is to be carried out in a beach community like Cabarete or Sos?a.
3) Realize that not everything will go according to plan--see Culture Shock
4) Go really slow on every decision. Calculate like a venture capitalist shark...look out for who is going to profit if you do X or Y.
5) Learn the language afap. Do not worry about getting it perfect. Just so you can understand them and they can understand you.
6) Always have a fall back plan. A Plan B or even a Plan C.
7) You have been advised to have a health plan. That is good, very good advice. But like most computer problems can be solved by rebooting, most ills can be solved here by taking a few aspirins and getting fluids and rest. Just be careful of what and where you eat. (And need I say it? Who you....)

HB
I recommend she trys the sanky first, that will eliminate any further steps unless of course she is like the woman that has HPV maybe from a mean toilet seat ?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Barrio Life: Simple, Cheap and Safe

The simplest advice I can give you is to live like a POOR DOMINICAN. If you like the life, then the DR is for you.

Correct.
As the OP only wanted to know whether it is safe here, this is the way to go.
Once you live like everybody else in the 'barrio' there won't be much to steal from you, hence it'll be safe.

I suppose, Maggie knows that a life in the DR with the amenities of civilisation costs as much as in Canada, maybe even more.
But then you make yourself a target for thieves or burglars.
Your decision.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The short answer is this: If you need to work to live here, it will be very difficult since it will be very hard to find a good paying job. If you an live on $300 US a month, then go for it.

Maggie0517

Jul 17, 2011
Im lovin' all the feedback.. THANK YOU sooo much.. And yes i have exprianced both side of spectrum. The really nice way of living there and the "not soo rich" way of living there. Stayed with the privliged and with the not sooo privliged. And i can totally c how living like a show off can make you more prone to be robbed and what not. All i want is simple life style with roof over my head, job that gives me enough to pay for roof over my head, simple food choices and happy people. I live in canada for the last 12 years and its not all peaches and cream here. Im not the person to care for driving BMW or amount of bedrooms in my house. All those things r nice but just not me.. And yes dominican has poverty and crimincals but so does canada. I guess its all how you live and what you make of it that counts.
How hard is it to learn the language??? I have a friend that speaks spanish but i did notice that her spanish is a lot slower than Dominican spanish???

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Living in DR is like living in most places, meaning it is what you make of it. Totally up to you and what you want in your life. I have had the privilege of living in DR for four years now, first in Sosua for a year in a couple of different condos, and now I have lived in Gazcue which is in Santo Domingo, and I have a second rental in Boca Chica been there only about a month.

I have been somewhat fortunate in that I am retired and receive a State pension from NY. I personally have no intention of every returning to the States, I enjoy my life here and the people I have had the pleasure to meet. I prefer living in Santo Domingo because I like the amenities in a big city, I find for the most part I have everything I want here just as I had in the US, except ocasional power outages, which if you are in a good area such as Gazcue they don't occur that often. The supermarkets I shop in are La Cadena, Nacional and I also go to Price Smart which is like a Price Club in the US. I find most things I desire in these stores. Although they are higher in price than comparable supermarkets in the US. In my apt. in Gazcue I have satellite tv, and in BC I have the local cable, never a problem with either one.

Gazcue is a residential community and in my area it is pretty safe, but I am still close enough to anything else I want, Colonial Zone, attractions on the Malecon, and the business districts and their different clubs and restaurants. You can get a very nice apt with all the amenities in an area such as Gazcue for about $500 US more or less depending on your taste. In BC I live in an area called los cocitos (sp) which is the BC barrio (just west of downtown BC), got a small one bedroom there and pay only 8,000 pesos a month about $200 US a month, I am two blocks from the beach. I am very comfortable there as well and in many respects enjoy my time there more than when in the capital. I enjoy interacting with Dominicans, although my spainish is not perfect every day it gets a little bit better. In the short time I have been there I have made it a point to get to know my neighbors in that barrio, as well as in Gazcue. Where ever you live I think it is good advice not to isolate yourself, and get to know your neighborhood as well as your neighbors, it makes for in my opinon a better and safer way of living your life.

I am sorry for being so long winded but, I hope this post aides you with your question.

Last edited:

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I find your post very informative at not long winded by any means. I am originally from NY but have lived in south carolna for many years , have retired and giving serious thought to relocating to RD. Thanks for the input.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
My2cents is, if you really plan on living in the DR, make sure you have a source of income from outside the Country...
Spend a good year or two and create a revenue source from the Internet if possible? That way you can work from your DR home and rake in the moolah hopefully...

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
My2cents is, if you really plan on living in the DR, make sure you have a source of income from outside the Country...
Spend a good year or two and create a revenue source from the Internet if possible? That way you can work from your DR home and rake in the moolah hopefully...
Living there for a year to get the feel of the place is a must however, I opt for walks on the beaches, fishing and exploring all the wonderful country side, I'm very impressed with such a variation in topography

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I did stay with one of my friends and his family for about 3 weeks and experianced true dominican life.

That's great, you should move, it will be wonderful.
Everything that your friend and his family have told you is true.
You would be crazy to pass up this opportunity.

Are you still there?!? Pack your bags girl!!!! You're wasting precious time!!

SHALENA

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
Please try to use the correct name

Im lovin' all the feedback.. THANK YOU sooo much.. And yes i have exprianced both side of spectrum. The really nice way of living there and the "not soo rich" way of living there. Stayed with the privliged and with the not sooo privliged. And i can totally c how living like a show off can make you more prone to be robbed and what not. All i want is simple life style with roof over my head, job that gives me enough to pay for roof over my head, simple food choices and happy people. I live in canada for the last 12 years and its not all peaches and cream here. Im not the person to care for driving BMW or amount of bedrooms in my house. All those things r nice but just not me.. And yes dominican has poverty and crimincals but so does canada. I guess its all how you live and what you make of it that counts.
How hard is it to learn the language??? I have a friend that speaks spanish but i did notice that her spanish is a lot slower than Dominican spanish???
Maggie, I understand that you want to move here, but the first step you should take is to use the CORRECT name....please....the country is called The Dominican Republic or DR for short. The word Dominican references a person.

Maggie0517

Jul 17, 2011
Living in DR is like living in most places, meaning it is what you make of it. Totally up to you and what you want in your life. I have had the privilege of living in DR for four years now, first in Sosua for a year in a couple of different condos, and now I have lived in Gazcue which is in Santo Domingo, and I have a second rental in Boca Chica been there only about a month.

I have been somewhat fortunate in that I am retired and receive a State pension from NY. I personally have no intention of every returning to the States, I enjoy my life here and the people I have had the pleasure to meet. I prefer living in Santo Domingo because I like the amenities in a big city, I find for the most part I have everything I want here just as I had in the US, except ocasional power outages, which if you are in a good area such as Gazcue they don't occur that often. The supermarkets I shop in are La Cadena, Nacional and I also go to Price Smart which is like a Price Club in the US. I find most things I desire in these stores. Although they are higher in price than comparable supermarkets in the US. In my apt. in Gazcue I have satellite tv, and in BC I have the local cable, never a problem with either one.

Gazcue is a residential community and in my area it is pretty safe, but I am still close enough to anything else I want, Colonial Zone, attractions on the Malecon, and the business districts and their different clubs and restaurants. You can get a very nice apt with all the amenities in an area such as Gazcue for about $500 US more or less depending on your taste. In BC I live in an area called los cocitos (sp) which is the BC barrio (just west of downtown BC), got a small one bedroom there and pay only 8,000 pesos a month about $200 US a month, I am two blocks from the beach. I am very comfortable there as well and in many respects enjoy my time there more than when in the capital. I enjoy interacting with Dominicans, although my spainish is not perfect every day it gets a little bit better. In the short time I have been there I have made it a point to get to know my neighbors in that barrio, as well as in Gazcue. Where ever you live I think it is good advice not to isolate yourself, and get to know your neighborhood as well as your neighbors, it makes for in my opinon a better and safer way of living your life.

I am sorry for being so long winded but, I hope this post aides you with your question.

I Thank You for your input... And its not long winded at all. Awesome feedback. THANK YOU...

Maggie0517

Jul 17, 2011
Maggie, I understand that you want to move here, but the first step you should take is to use the CORRECT name....please....the country is called The Dominican Republic or DR for short. The word Dominican references a person.

Im sorry for my spelling mistake. I think i was soo excited to make this post that i did not notice my error..

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
I am not nit picking and i was not the first person to remind her either....the fact is, she used it like four times and I didn?t say anything until after it was said more than twice. check the posts before you quote

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Canada is participating in the International Day festivities in LT this year. Maggie come see the booth. Sept 23 - 25

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I am not nit picking and i was not the first person to remind her either....the fact is, she used it like four times and I didn?t say anything until after it was said more than twice. check the posts before you quote
I don't need to check but one post, impolite is impolite. maybe you haven't heard of PM yet ?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Fireworks on 14th of July

Canada is participating in the International Day festivities in LT this year. Maggie come see the booth. Sept 23 - 25

I shall have a look, for sure.
Will they have fireworks also?
If so, they should ask the French in LT what went wrong on their national day last week when Elsa de Le?n (Vice Minister of Tourism) prohibited the show. :cry:

donP

Status
Not open for further replies.