Im thinking of moving to DR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
And that is the reason why you have 100,000 Americans living in this country and some of them making more money that they would it had made back in the USA because they can see what is needed and go for it. Believe it or not I know some foreigners over here that are making anywhere from 3000.00US to 130,000US per month with little taxes to pay, but then again that is not everyone. So my suggestion to you is that do whatever your heart tell you do because at the end if doesn't work it would be a life experience that no money by unless you lived.

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Maggie

Here's my advice for what it's worth. You mentioned you have been to the DR about 5 times. Have you ever stayed by yourself outside of an AI? I only visited twice for about 30 days traveling solo before buying an apartment near the beach in Bavaro. It's a great area and I enjoy my stays immensely. However, I still maintain my home base @ PCB, FL. My plan is to stay 4 -5 months for the next few years and see if I can live with the total adjustment before deciding to stay longer each year.

There have been numerous good posts with excellent advice to reality of living in the DR. Just give it some serious thought on a permanant move. It will be a life-altering event, and you want it to be a good one. If you have already made up you mind then come on down and have a good time. I have met some great people (both ex-pats and locals) during my visits.

As one person prviously posted, I would also recommend that you practice your Spanish (if not already proficient). Plenty of people speak English and other languages, but knowing Spanish will make it easier for you to transition. The area I live in is generally safe, and I have walked the neighborhood numerous times at dark. Just use common sense. Also, there are quite a few Canadians who live in close vicinity of the development where I have bought an apartment.

Best of luck in your ventures. Don

Maggie0517

Jul 17, 2011
Maggie

Here's my advice for what it's worth. You mentioned you have been to the DR about 5 times. Have you ever stayed by yourself outside of an AI? I only visited twice for about 30 days traveling solo before buying an apartment near the beach in Bavaro. It's a great area and I enjoy my stays immensely. However, I still maintain my home base @ PCB, FL. My plan is to stay 4 -5 months for the next few years and see if I can live with the total adjustment before deciding to stay longer each year.

There have been numerous good posts with excellent advice to reality of living in the DR. Just give it some serious thought on a permanant move. It will be a life-altering event, and you want it to be a good one. If you have already made up you mind then come on down and have a good time. I have met some great people (both ex-pats and locals) during my visits.

As one person prviously posted, I would also recommend that you practice your Spanish (if not already proficient). Plenty of people speak English and other languages, but knowing Spanish will make it easier for you to transition. The area I live in is generally safe, and I have walked the neighborhood numerous times at dark. Just use common sense. Also, there are quite a few Canadians who live in close vicinity of the development where I have bought an apartment.

Thank You Don..
And yes i know what you mean in terms of keeping my home base. I would totally have to do that considering i have never lived there on my own and that im sure could be quite the change. With that being said i would always have peice of mind knowing that if things don't work out in DR i have a place to come back to. And yes next week i will totally look into spanish classes. From what i experianced speaking spanish makes your life whole lot easier. They speak sooo fast tho..... Which part of DR are you at??? (if u dont mind me asking?)

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Thank You Don..
And yes i know what you mean in terms of keeping my home base. I would totally have to do that considering i have never lived there on my own and that im sure could be quite the change. With that being said i would always have peice of mind knowing that if things don't work out in DR i have a place to come back to. And yes next week i will totally look into spanish classes. From what i experianced speaking spanish makes your life whole lot easier. They speak sooo fast tho..... Which part of DR are you at??? (if u dont mind me asking?)
Maggie

Bavaro is near Punta Cana, East coast.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
This is one of the funnier things I have noticed on this site. People can call each other names, belittle peoples ideas, generally be mean to each other....but call the DR the Dominican...all hell breaks loose....god it's a sin!! It's amazing to me.

Maggie, I understand that you want to move here, but the first step you should take is to use the CORRECT name....please....the country is called The Dominican Republic or DR for short. The word Dominican references a person.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This is one of the funnier things I have noticed on this site. People can call each other names, belittle peoples ideas, generally be mean to each other....but call the DR the Dominican...all hell breaks loose....god it's a sin!! It's amazing to me.

What I find amazing, is the folks that give a rat's ass about those that correct those calling it "The Dominican"....WTF cares...I happen to agree with you RAM, but it is just not worth correcting the name of the country or acknowlegding the anal douches that correct those that correct those that criticize those that have nothing else better to do than live on dr1 14 hours a day.

cuidate,

tambo'

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

I have let people get by without me saying anything when they are asking questions about resorts or travel tips, etc. But how in the HELL you gonna get on a board talking 'bout MOVING somewhere and you don't even know the correct name of the place that you're moving too.
Really???
I mean, how does this sound...." I am in love with lush landscapes, Hispanic culture, and living a peaceful life. So I am on here to see if you guys have any advice for someone moving to Costa. I've visited Costa 3 times so I think I can do it. Dies anyone here know anything about the real estate in Costa??"
Sounds dumb as hell, doesn't it???

SHALENA

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I shall have a look, for sure.
Will they have fireworks also?
If so, they should ask the French in LT what went wrong on their national day last week when Elsa de Le?n (Vice Minister of Tourism) prohibited the show. :cry:

donP

no fireworks until the bomberos get the truck operational, fuelled up and battery secure, but I hear there will be canadian grins

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
...I once lived in the States.

I have let people get by without me saying anything when they are asking questions about resorts or travel tips, etc. But how in the HELL you gonna get on a board talking 'bout MOVING somewhere and you don't even know the correct name of the place that you're moving too.
Really???
I mean, how does this sound...." I am in love with lush landscapes, Hispanic culture, and living a peaceful life. So I am on here to see if you guys have any advice for someone moving to Costa. I've visited Costa 3 times so I think I can do it. Dies anyone here know anything about the real estate in Costa??"

SHALENA

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I've visited Costa 3 times so I think I can do it. Dies anyone here know anything about the real estate in Costa??"

SHALENA

I know you have had "The Dominican" in you, but have you ever been in "The Dominican"?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Really???

SHALENA
It sounds like every one on this site knew what she was talkin about, I still don't see why she needs to be treated with a condescending attitude from anyone .

Maggie0517

Jul 17, 2011
I appologize for my mistake. I know where i made it and i know where the differance is. Thanks for the correction though.
Will improve... :)

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011

you?re right...for what it?s worth, I thought that I was being firmly polite...I have seen people being very very mean, my intention was not to be mean like them

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010

maybe thats the ONE thing a lot of posters agree on

Manu

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
There are few REAL rules on the site, but it might be a good idea to leave the correcting of other members to the site veterans. Someone who joined a couple of months ago and has a whole 20 posts under their belt might want to restrict their posts to those of a positive nature. I've been here a about a year and a half or so, very much a newbie novice compared to many of the regulars, and I'm still getting familiar with the nature of the community. I've stuck my foot into my mouth once or twice and learned from the mistakes of my less than reserved posts. It's much better to try to add to the conversation with as little ridicule as possible. BTW.. my wife and I often refer to the D.R. in conversation as "the Dominican", (shortened from "the Dominican Republic"), but we both know the real name of the country.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I always feel that someone who is asking about moving to the DR who has zero or few posts is not a real person at all. Perhaps an attempt to generate more posts for the site. Using the phrase "The Dominican" guarantees even more replies.

There should be a way to verify posters, then they can have a special icon next to their user name.

Having said that.. I love DR1!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.