Importing an Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2004
The Jeepeta has arrived

My jeepeta has cleared Aduana in Caucedo and is now on Las Americas Highway headed to the capital as I write this.

As I stated earlier in this thread it's always the same but different each time with Aduana. This time there were several new documents that needed to be filled out and, of course, there is always a small fee involved for each one.

This time it took all day yesterday and part of today at Aduana to get all the paperwork filed, stamped etc. Perhaps it is because the person I use has more contacts in Haina (I have never shipped through Caucedo before). Nonetheless, this shipping ordeal is over.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Dr-cafta

badpiece33 said:
I am planning on importing a 1994 Jeep Cherokee to the DR, I am just trying to get a round about figure on the cost of shipping and the taxes and duties I will have to pay as well as register and insure the car. The car will be shipped from NYC.
Badpiece

If I were you, I'll wait until Janury 2006, because all cars made in the USA will be free of tax, because the DR-CAFTA.

Jan 9, 2004
Eddyx said:
If I were you, I'll wait until Janury 2006, because all cars made in the USA will be free of tax, because the DR-CAFTA.

Without going into a lot of discussion about this and having forced myself to read hundreds of pages of the document, let me just say unequivocally that all cars made in the USA will NOT be free of tax in January 2006.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
playacaribe2 said:
Without going into a lot of discussion about this and having forced myself to read hundreds of pages of the document, let me just say unequivocally that all cars made in the USA will NOT be free of tax in January 2006.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

so w/o going into that much details, can you say which cars are tax free than?

Jan 9, 2004
THE GAME said:
so w/o going into that much details, can you say which cars are tax free than?

There are no cars under DR-CAFTA that will be tax free in January 2006, unless brought in via the FTZ's or under special license for a tourism project.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
playacaribe2 said:
There are no cars under DRT-CAFTA that will be tax free in January 2006, unless brought in via the FTZ's or under special license for a tourism project.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2[/QUOTE

I heard to Mr. Hans Hertell, ambassador of USA, in a conference, that cars made in USA will go through the aagreement. He said cars in DR will be cheaper than Puerto Rico.

Jan 9, 2004
Eddyx said:
playacaribe2 said:
There are no cars under DRT-CAFTA that will be tax free in January 2006, unless brought in via the FTZ's or under special license for a tourism project.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2[/QUOTE

I heard to Mr. Hans Hertell, ambassador of USA, in a conference, that cars made in USA will go through the aagreement. He said cars in DR will be cheaper than Puerto Rico.

Cars made in the USA will go through the agreement, but there is a 5 year phase out on the taxes. So, cars will NOT be tax free in January 2006.

If you believe that there will be no taxes on cars in January 2006, you should be buying and shipping cars now as that would present a great business opportunity. The agreement as signed indicates otherwise.

Additionally, what constitutes an American car? A Cadillac assembled in Mexico, a Ford assembled in Canada, a Honda or Toyota assembled in the USA?

Finally, my experience suggests that governments usually increase the fees involved in an import process when they lose duty or tax revenue, a not so subtle way of recapturing some of that lost revenue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:
L

LarrySpencer

playacaribe2 said:
UPDATE: My shipping sources now confirm that passenger vehicles older than 5 years will no longer be accepted for import into the Dominican Republc after April 30, 2005. Unless, of course, you know someone in Aduana or are willling to wait until someone figures out (again) that this policy actually chokes off important sources of revenue for the Republica.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

so ship it to Haiti and drive it into the DR....take the Southern Route through Jimini

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
LarrySpencer said:
so ship it to Haiti and drive it into the DR....take the Southern Route through Jimini

how easy is it to ship to haiti? do people trust customs in
haiti? do people want to go thru haiti and all the unknown that can happen to a more corrupt govt?

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
playacaribe2 said:
Eddyx said:
Additionally, what constitutes an American car? A Cadillac assembled in Mexico, a Ford assembled in Canada, a Honda or Toyota assembled in the USA?

Finally, my experience suggests that governments usually increase the fees involved in an import process when they lose duty or tax revenue, a not so subtle way of recapturing some of that lost revenue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

You know, for this agreement, the origin of the brand doesn"t mater. A Toyota or Honda made in the USA, could be imported under the rules of this agreement. A GM vehicle, made or assembled in México or Cánada, not. Why? 'cause we don't have free trade agreement with those countries, yet.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
Eddyx said:
playacaribe2 said:
You know, for this agreement, the origin of the brand doesn"t mater. A Toyota or Honda made in the USA, could be imported under the rules of this agreement. A GM vehicle, made or assembled in M?xico or C?nada, not. Why? 'cause we don't have free trade agreement with those countries, yet.

Eddyx:

I wish it were as easy as where the vehicles are assembled or made. What about Toyota's that are assembled in the USA using all parts made in Japan. Is that vehicle American or Japanese for Agreement purposes? Or that Ford assembled in Canada using all parts supplied from the United States. Is that vehicle now included/excluded?

Some years ago when the United States was losing ground in the shoe business and the public generally preferred American made products, some of the shoe companies got to keep their Made in USA label by having all the production and most assembly done offshore and importing the shoes without soles. Once the soles were stitched on, they were entitled to use the Made in USA label.

For purposes of this Agreement, there are bound to be some products whose origin will be challenged. The key to an importer is to recognize which products will come in without that challenge as no one needs to have his/her container embargoed while two governments attempt resolve the issue. And make no mistake about it, there will be issues.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
playacaribe2 said:
It's even more difficult than that. A car may have been assembled in the US from parts imported from Japan. Will that be considered an American car?

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
rellosk said:
It's even more difficult than that. A car may have been assembled in the US from parts imported from Japan. Will that be considered an American car?

In the declarations of Mr. Hertell, yes. You know, those cars assembled in USA give employments to people and pay taxes to the goverment. That's important. This is the real objetive ot these agreements.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
rellosk said:

Rellosk:

That is exactly the point I made in a further post above.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

susheel

Oct 19, 2005
Suggestions please

I am new in the domincan republic and a student in Santo Domingo. I just wanted to know if anyone knew the process to ship a car from Miami and who would I need to contact (like any suggestions for shippers). Also how much will all this cost me and also the length of time. If anyone has done this let me know which shipper you guys use or suggest to go with.

thank you
Susheel

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Tax rates Importing cars with DR-CAFTA

These are the rates importing cars through DR-CAFTA.

2005 - without DR-CAFTA 20% + 13%
2006 - 20%
2007 - 15%
2008 - 10%
2009 - 5%
2010 - 0%

Jan 9, 2004
Eddyx said:
These are the rates importing cars through DR-CAFTA.

2005 - without DR-CAFTA 20% + 13%
2006 - 20%
2007 - 15%
2008 - 10%
2009 - 5%
2010 - 0%

Eddyx:

Those may be the rates accordiing to the DR-CAFTA, but there are further taxes and duties that will be collected. By way of example, the 16% ITBIS to my knowledge has not been or will be phased out. Then of course, there are all those other document prep fees, consular invoices, etc.

For board informational purposes, On my next trip to S.D. in November, I will make a list of all the document fees and taxes I paid on my recent automobile adventure through Aduana. Not including shipping, I believe the total was in the 135,000 peso range.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Status
Not open for further replies.