Importing an Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
playacaribe2 said:
Eddyx:

Those may be the rates accordiing to the DR-CAFTA, but there are further taxes and duties that will be collected. By way of example, the 16% ITBIS to my knowledge has not been or will be phased out. Then of course, there are all those other document prep fees, consular invoices, etc.

For board informational purposes, On my next trip to S.D. in November, I will make a list of all the document fees and taxes I paid on my recent automobile adventure through Aduana. Not including shipping, I believe the total was in the 135,000 peso range.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yes, of course ITBIS is not included, but even in The US you have to pay te VAT, that vary in each State. So, if you are gonna buy a car to export to DR, won't have to pay VAT. Here you have a discount. Others transportation costs could vary with the distance between ports and the quantity of units.

Respectfully :)

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Eddyx:

For board informational purposes, On my next trip to S.D. in November, I will make a list of all the document fees and taxes I paid on my recent automobile adventure through Aduana. Not including shipping, I believe the total was in the 135,000 peso range.

Playacaribe2

Hi,
I jsut got to DR and I am thinking about importing a second hand car, as we have tax examption as long as we take it out again or keep it for five years.
i was wondering if you could tell me what shipping agent did you use to get the car from US to DrR
i also would be interested if you managed to get that list of all the doucments fees and taxes together.
Thanks
Borec

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Need up-to-date car import information.

I have tried to read all previous posts on importing car from USA once we get our provisional residency (applied a few weeks ago). The DR-Cafta rates were quoted, other places I read those aren't applicable, still others said don't try it and some said it was no problem.

So I just would like up to date information from people who know and/or (preferably) have recently done it. We have an 1997 highly modified Jeep (not replaceable in DR) that would be perfect and/or a just under 5 year old 2004 Ford Expedition that I love.

We need to know if we could import either one of them.

Appreciate your sharing wisdom and your time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have tried to read all previous posts on importing car from USA once we get our provisional residency (applied a few weeks ago). The DR-Cafta rates were quoted, other places I read those aren't applicable, still others said don't try it and some said it was no problem.

So I just would like up to date information from people who know and/or (preferably) have recently done it. We have an 1997 highly modified Jeep (not replaceable in DR) that would be perfect and/or a just under 5 year old 2004 Ford Expedition that I love.

We need to know if we could import either one of them.

Appreciate your sharing wisdom and your time.
You can import anything.

You'll pay around 40% penalty on the duty/taxes/registration for the Jeep, and you will NOT agree with the value placed on it by adaunas.

The Expedition is prolly listed on this site: Dirección General de Aduanas - DGA . I have to say that gas exceeds US$6.10 a gallon, and is likely to rise. I'd reconsider the Expedition. Just one opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.