Importing into the DR, FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
10% GO AWAY

WHEN IS THE 10% SURCHARGE IS GOING TO GO AWAY PLEASE SOMEONE LET ME KNOW. I HAVE A LOAD OF MERCHANDISE STUCK IN A WAREHOUSE DONT WANT TO SEND IT BECAUSE MY PROFIT MARGIN WILL SHRINK.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A short update to Pib's original post. We followed her advice just about to the letter and our first container arrived in the Pisano free zone safely, locked and secured.

We initially interviewed a few custom's brokers and eventually decided to go with the brokers that Pisano's management recommended to us. Their quote was $25.00 higher than the next quote, but we felt comfortable with them. When payday came around, they stuck to their fixed price even though they had some problems clearing the container. Our tax number did not get into the right computer at the right time, and it took three weeks to sort out this snafu. Pisano's management was very helpful and eventually got their Attorney involved, speaking to the head of customs. Then, magically the number appeared where it was supposed to appear. It may have been that someone along the line wanted some money but we simply out-waited them and kept calling in bigger 'guns'. The brokers were very helpful, communicative and gave us daily updates.

Once the container reached Pisano, a fairly friendly fellow from Aduana came around, cut the security locks, and waited around while the pallets were unloaded. He checked out a few boxes between the commercial invoice and the actual goods, grabbed a jar of Blue Lagoon body mousse, opened it, stuck his finger in there and just stood around for a little while enjoying the nice fragrances of our products. I promptly handed him the jar as a little gift (well, what could I do? I could not sell it after this), and he has been helpful in preparing the paperwork for getting the local DR orders out of the zone and also the export orders. We've been warned that he will come around in a week's time with an invoice for payment for his services. No idea what this will be but it seems to be an expectation that we should pay it. I am not against this payment as it seems to me that I'm tipping for a good service. If anyone wants to advise me differently, now is the time...!

We've been assured by the Customs Brokers that the next containers will come through the port like greased lightening now that everything is in place. I'm still waiting to see what happens when the products leave Pisano today and tomorrow.

After this nailbiting episode, I echo Pib's statement - deal with reputable people only! This is the only thing that kept me sane while a very costly container of products sat around in customs for three weeks. I could at least pick up the phone and talk to someone knowledgable on the other side - someone who knew what was going on. Also, we started off with a smaller container thinking that we'll first prove out the process before we bring products in in bulk.

So far, so good - not too painful, just a lengthy process.

Cap'n Jon

Apr 13, 2003
I've had some trouble posting - hopefully my computer has healed itself...Is it the same situation importing personal and household items, or does this information relate strictly to commercial? Do you need a broker, are there duties, fees to pay? Thanks

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Personal Effects - Importing

Just follow the rules - Surprise, surprise - they work!!
We moved here over a year ago from the Middle East. Shipped a 20 foot container full to bursting with our household goods, tools, CD's & computer disks, personal effects and a few electronic items. Did it all through a shipping agent in SD who was recommended by Allied Pickfords at point of origin.
Applied for customs exemption due to first setting up of a home in DR and providing the paperwork was filled out correctly, and no-one ever checked the values of items we declared, only 2 visits to Customs were required. One to the port in SD to identify the container which was opened and emptied, each box opened by customs and basically looked into but not searched! One guy got a baseball cap, 2 others RD$500 each and then boxes were resealed and put back into the container which was then resealed with a new seal.
The container then arrived in Cabarete and was unpacked in less than 2 hours with no problem, except for the very sick and tired looking gecko which fell out of the door having travelled from the Arabian Gulf!!
All this was done based only on a letter from immigration stating that we had applied for residency. Believe it, at the time we got the box we did not have a cedula or residency, just a very official looking letter full of stamps.
Total cost in the DR, over and above the shipping costs paid in Arabia, RD$1000 in handouts, cost of 2 trips to SD, and RD$8560.00 in port landing fees and demurrage because the boxes were stuck in the port for a couple of extra days as the shippers/clearers lorry was broke! The whole process took 10 weeks!
Advice: Get a good shipper. Get a good rep at this end for clearance. Get a good lawyer who knows what papers you need to apply for the exemption and just follow the rules. The place works - sometimes.
Were we lucky? Who cares? We have a house full of our own stuff and we're very happy here in paradise with bugs!

Amicus

Dec 25, 2002
Pib said:
Well, then the advice still stands (except for the 10% duties and bringing it in your luggage).

What sort of duty can be expected to import a car into the DR. Can one drive a car on foreign plates as a visitor for a period of time? (Is it unwise to do so?)

Since bringing a car in one's luggage is out of the question, Is there a ferry service to the DR, or must one import by a ship or air transport?

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
I don`t really know which is the percentage of taxes that a car pays, but you can bet it`s high. Regarding if there`s a ferry, there is one from San Juan, which I think it`s weekly (You`ll have to confirm this).

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
onionhed said:
Yes...a 2000 Indian Chief, about 1600 cc's and weighs about 650# ~ definately not "carry on luggage".

If you are in a state or county heavily populater by Dominicans, you could probably find brokers that will take your bike from here and delivery to at your door steps in the DR. For example, if you are in Miami or NY, I have heard of Embarque Colnial. Let me know if you need their phone number

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Pan Am Q

Great thread.

As I am coming in for the Pan Am games, we are shipping some odd things. Used horse equipment including brushes, buckets, all manner of stuff. Are we going to have difficulty with the pallet of horse food? He has a touchy stomach. It is not directly my responsibility but... Would a broker be able to smooth the way? Are you near SDQ?

Thanks, K

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Is there a FAQ for luggage?

All I've read is booz and ciggs one each. Unless someone asks for some I have no use for either. I'm looking forward to Presidente.

But I usually carry an XS of the usual travler's stuff JIC. Including, aroma therapy oils and children's books and toys and stuff to give away.

Are they a problem? -k

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Kay

Are you an athlete or part of any delegation? In that case you will not pay any taxes nor will have any problems to bring your equipment, BUT it has to be imported by your delegation, in their name.

Our company has done some work related to the games, however, I am sure that you will not need a broker for this. Let your delegation take care of it.

I am not an expert on luggage, other than what I've learnt traveling (and I am a very light traveller), but I think you will not be bothered if you are part of any delegation. You will not be bothered even if you are coming by yourself and your luggage doesn't look suspicious.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Shipping Household Goods

I read the account posted by Peter and Alex. Glad to hear they had few problems. Ours was quite a different story.

First, Danny is Dominican, has a passport, cedula even a driver's license. We had all our paperwork and a broker. But from the first of seven total visits to Santo Domingo from Villa Gonzalez, all he did was pay everyone and his brother. T's weren't crossed, i's weren't dotted and never would have been without paying every slimey slob sob with their hand out.

When we finally did get our container, after paying an approximate total of US$10,000 for bribes, travel and "legitimate" duties, taxes, etc (even some of those were questionable as far as I was concerned) we finally got our goods. Every box had been plundered and many items were stolen, destroyed, or damaged. The trucking company is a whole 'nother horror story.

Our advice, do not bring anything unless it fits in a suitcase!!! Made me sick. I was ready to say screw it and head back home.

Danny & Dianne

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
What the????

Did you use the same brokerage?

I am in the same boat to some degree. I have a typical American house full of belongings. Televisions, Furniture, Appliances, all the trimmings for a complete 4 bedroom western home.

What are the average (if there is such a thing) costs to get property safely from a US home to one in North shore area???? What about the cost of import taxes and the like. I thought I would be exempt with residency? Is $10,000 exempt? Should I sell everything I have accumulated over my adult life just to move there and start accumulating it back???

I really need help here. I am not importing business tools, I am moving my family.

In November we are applying for our residency and our estimate is a move in February/march of the coming year. Jacksonville (my home city) Florida is a major port city, so I envision packing everything into a ship container or sharing one with someone of the same destination. I don't know that we actually have enough to fill a container, but will to be safer if that makes sense. (Who needs someone going through our stuff??)

Please help advise me as to the foolishness of moving stuff you already own to live in Cabarete or Sousa.

Thanks,
Gary

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Moving .....

We're lucky in that we live here in the DR but in general we never seem to be lucky like some folks, so maybe our importation of household goods was a simple matter of following the rules? A good lawyer who sorted out all the necessary papers and immigration letter. A fairly decent, if a little slow, shipping agent locally and perhaps a decent approach to dealing with the red tape and personnel in customs and the ports authorities, etc. Yes, we paid the odd bribe in the port in SD but this was only minimal RD$ and nowhere near other peoples horrific costs.
Our agent followed the rules for the importation of first setting up of home, with used second hand household effects and obviously lied about the actual value of the full 20 foot container!!! We were amazed at how easy it was as we've lived and worked in many countries around the worlds and here was one of the easiest!
Let's hope that you're one of the lucky ones? (However, our local lawyer was pleasantly surprised when we had managed so well)!!!
As to bringing those things from home - if you can live without them, sell them off and get something new here. We have new friends in Cabarete from the UK who are currently doing just that and they are happy with what they can actually buy here for the house. We were a little better off coming from the Middle East as we'd seen our house before buying and had already decided what furnitire we would bring and where it would go. we also worked for an Arab Government Department which replaced all our household goods free of charge every 5 years and on retiring they give it all to you!! Some we sold off, the rest we brought for our comfort and that little bit of home.
Anyway - good luck
Peter & Alex

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Moving

Peter & Alex:

What part of the middle east? I was in Saudi for 3 years. Most of that time was spent at Dhahran AFB.

As to the move, we did not have an attorney, but we followed every rule that was presented to us and still had nothing but trouble. Would never do it again.

Dianne

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
From past posts...

Most seem to think it is better to just come with suitcases..I am liquidating now myself! Just bring large suitcases but would like to know...I am buying alot of clothes for the kids in the area where I will be (My husband also has 3 grandkids under 5 yrs old we have never seen) So I am packing a few cases with new items for the family and our help's family etc..Will I have a problem in customs with that stuff in those Space saver vacuum baggie things? I need to know since I have purchased over 100 items so far! :) Pam

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
D&D,
We were in Dubai for the last 15 years! Great place but expensive and suffering from the Arab/tourist conflicts regards different cultures. Previous to that we were all over the world, including North Yemen!
Now we're here and enjoying all the things about the DR which make it such a great place too!
We seem to be the only ones who did not have a problem importing stuff?

kerveros

Sep 10, 2003
www.kerveros.4t.com
importing inflatables

sorry, I clicked the wrong button & sent this msg as a new thread but anyway, here it goes again:

Importing inflatables
Thanks for all the previous info PIB. I search for distributors to importy our products into the DR & everybody wants to join in untill they learn how much taxation they have to pay. Do you think that inflatables have to pay luxury taxes?
One of my distributors in Nicaragua, I guess that around there it can be the same, suggested to send them first to the USA &/or another Latinamerican country & then into Nicaragua, the DR or whatever, so that the taxes would be less. Is that true/possible?
We want to export from Europe & they've told me that from here to there the taxes raise more than from the USA. What do you think?

Thanks a lot,

kvs :classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.