Importing into the DR, FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Ok guys I have this very specific question I could not find in the archives. I as I have mentioned in other post am a cook by profession. I will have some items I choose to bring down with me when I come. All my household goods I am ditching. Other than the clothes on my back everything else will be related to my professional self-training and enlightenment.
I want to bring down the following about $10,000 us worth of stuff. This is stuff that could not be concealed in luggage so I will have to ship it. I cannot apply for residency until I am down there for American legal reason. I am still active duty until about two weeks before I move there so no real time to work this out.
One of the items will be a carving ice block freezer at a retail of $4,000 new and weighs about 300 pounds. Can I take a list of the items to customs and get a firm answer to how much I would have to pay prior to actually purchasing it and having it shipped?
Everything else will be different cutlery and pots and pans and so forth. The big item will be the freezer.
John

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Bad news for you: I don't think anyone can give you an estimate. At least not an accurate one, because you see Customs changes the rules (and the exchange rate) whenever they feel like it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You can get an actual cost to importing the items you need to the DR if you do it with a Door to Door shipping service, they will charge you the set price with all expenses, bad news is that they charge a bit more than the actual cost of doing the whole thing yourself in the DR, but since prices change on the fly in the ports it's the best bet...

Dana

Jul 2, 2004
very useful,though I understand not much.

very useful,though I understand not much.
First come here, please communicate with each other in the future. :classic:

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
importing tobacco

does anyone have have any info on importing tobacco in the DR? not your typical cigs. i want to import egyptian tobacco from a company in the US. any leads on where i can get info on this? any links to dominican costums?

thanks

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I'd hazzard a guess and say that you will need a ton of permits... starting with the ministry of agriculture and so. But Hillbilly knows more about importing and exporting tobbaco than I know about my bellybutton. Try to email him.

verushca

Jun 3, 2004
Hello

HI,
yes, a listing of reputable customs brokers will be very helpful.. I am in the processing of sending some things for my husbands new business. I want to make sure we are doing everything correct and get a good croker to clear Customs.. especially, since I am not from that Country.

Alexa check out my Galapagos, website

Verushca, you can obtain a list from ADACAM, the association of shippers and customs agents in the country. Our company is a member and I must say that it is a very serious organization. You can contact Rosa Hernanandez at 686-9388 in Sto. Dgo.

Good luck.

verushca said:
HI,
yes, a listing of reputable customs brokers will be very helpful.. I am in the processing of sending some things for my husbands new business. I want to make sure we are doing everything correct and get a good croker to clear Customs.. especially, since I am not from that Country.

Alexa check out my Galapagos, website

caribegal

Aug 20, 2004
Tax on Cars

Where can I find out what the taxes would be on importing cars and/or motorcycles into the DR? I am also interested in importing spare/replacement parts for both so would need to know the impoort duties on these too!

Thanks in advance!

Pib said:
Customs has a list of what cars pay depending on years and brand. Contact the Association of Car Importers or get a broker.

If you have all the details about the items and vehicles you can send me a PM and I can look it up for you. The updates from customs are done in regular basis but sometimes they vary. But at least you can get a close idea about the duties.

Ybo

Nov 19, 2004
www.hookedsports.com
ATV import

I am moving to Cabarete next year and I want to buy 5 ATV's in China.
They cost US$1450.- per piece. The shippingcosts are arround US$1500.- for all 5.

How are the taxes on these vehicles when I ship them into the country?

Thanks in advance,

Ybo

tlucke

Jan 9, 2005
import tax rates

I am presently living in DR and have bought a personal item for medical purposes over the internet from US. The cost was $595 and the import tax I am being charged is $340, this seems excessive and the transport company will not release it until I pay. Can you tell me how I can find out the correct costs and who I can follow up to deal with the issue?

Last edited:

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
Me and my family are relocating in july.We have gadered two suitcakes full of toys for the kids in the Dr.Not to "look good" believe me but out of the goodness of our harts.The toys are stuffed animals and little cars and some dolls.
We also always bring books and pencils and never had any trouble with that but as these are suitcases full of toys would there be any trouble for us.The toys are out of the "new" boxes so they look used.
We know we can contact organisations who distribute the goods but we have some dominican friends with big families and we would like to give the toys to them.So they themselves can give the toys as we don't want the kids to think "the so called rich white" people gave them.
Would we have trouble bringing these 2 or 3 suitcases?

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
i also ask because we are planning to continue this when we live here.I worked in a "special needs" kids schools here in belgium and the used toys that are still very pretty otherwise get thrown away after a while and we would find this such a waste.
The kids at my school tell me they will miss me and this is something they would love to do.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
No, I dont think you will have trouble. It is always easier to go through an organisation, but if you chose not to, I think you will manage anyway. In the general and living sections there are a few threads about this subject as well.

eldorada

Mar 9, 2005
exporting Dr products

I am interested in exporting dominican products and would like to know how to go about it. What are the duties and taxes like on agricultural produce? Can someone tell me if I need to have an export liscence? :)

k-bull

Jun 28, 2005
I wanna ship a vehicle to DR. They said that the process and charges are totally different than any other shipment. I would like to know Exactly the step by step, especially all the charges and regulations that one will go through when shipping a vehicle. Please I really need HELP!

christelle

Jul 28, 2005
informations

I just read your notes. I am "Haitian" I would like to have a residence and work in the DR. In Haiti I have I sell nuts.
1- Do you think that I can transfer My little company at the DR? (transfer=start a new)
2- Do you think that I can find a job in the DR? I have a lot of experiences.
3- Do you think that I have a chance to succeed ?

Best regard

Status
Not open for further replies.