importing luxury car Porsche from the states-used

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a well to do (rich) Dominican friend who once told me, "The only people who import exotic cars are the ones who don't worry about how much it will cost"

That pretty much sums it up.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have a well to do (rich) Dominican friend who once told me, "The only people who import exotic cars are the ones who don't worry about how much it will cost"

The Dominican equivalent to "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

I'm a serious gearhead and lifetime classic/hipo collector junkie, hence my handle. I can't tell you how often I've almost pulled the trigger on some off-the-wall classic of some sort (even a new Cobra build.)

But those vehicles are "emotional" to me. One reason I've not pulled the trigger is because I'm not sure how I could handle emotionally getting the crap beaten out of them by roads, traffic, awful drivers and lack of mechanical expertise where I lack, especially electronics.

JD, your Cherokee and Prado are excellent choices for local gearheads with few worries of destruction. Well done.

Jan 9, 2004
33187778122_2b47cc2868.jpg

I'm still a Porsche owner.  A very rare 1992 968 cabrio.  The only one in the DR.  It spends most if its time in the garage being polished.  But when I do take it out for a spin, you can't wipe that grin off my face for hours!

The plus side is that this car is going up in value as it's a collector's item.

Given the limited production of the 968 (4 years) and the even lower supply of Cab's (about 25% of production), and its a first year run '92....even though the '95 is much rarer, market value depending on condition and originality would put it between 15-22k USD and the US market for them is still in an uptrend.

You have a winner for serious Porsche collectors. Now, if it was the red Turbo RS.....you could retire.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The Dominican equivalent to "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

But those vehicles are "emotional" to me. One reason I've not pulled the trigger is because I'm not sure how I could handle emotionally getting the crap beaten out of them by roads, traffic, awful drivers and lack of mechanical expertise where I lack, especially electronics.

JD, your Cherokee and Prado are excellent choices for local gearheads with few worries of destruction. Well done.

Thanks CB. I see it as modifying my tastes to what make sense in this country. It's really difficult to resist the urge to grab something that doesn't fit here. I've been following 70's diesel M-B's for ages. Every time I see one that catches my eye, it's adding that 3K tax plus 1K shipping and "lord knows how much for the first plate" added to the sales price that keeps me from submitting the winning bid.

Given the limited production of the 968 (4 years) and the even lower supply of Cab's (about 25% of production), and its a first year run '92....even though the '95 is much rarer, market value depending on condition and originality would put it between 15-22k USD and the US market for them is still in an uptrend.

You have a winner for serious Porsche collectors. Now, if it was the red Turbo RS.....you could retire.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Remember how much XKE's were a few short years ago? Defenders? Old Caddies? Classics are going through an incredible Renaissance these past few years.

There are times I watch Barrett Jackson and my jaw drops in amazement.

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks CB. I see it as modifying my tastes to what make sense in this country. It's really difficult to resist the urge to grab something that doesn't fit here. I've been following 70's diesel M-B's for ages. Every time I see one that catches my eye, it's adding that 3K tax plus 1K shipping and "lord knows how much for the first plate" added to the sales price that keeps me from submitting the winning bid.

JD:

Bring it in via one of the car clubs as they qualify as antiques and/or classics. Their status won't change the shipping.....but it will change the duty significantly.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD:

Bring it in via one of the car clubs as they qualify as antiques and/or classics. Their status won't change the shipping.....but it will change the duty significantly.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

That's where I got the 3K number. Anything over 30 years pays a flat tax of 3K dollars. If it receives the seal of approval from the Classic car club.

So, if I snatch a good deal on an old 280 for 5K, it's over 10K by the time I can get behind the wheel.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
That's where I got the 3K number. Anything over 30 years pays a flat tax of 3K dollars. If it receives the seal of approval from the Classic car club.

So, if I snatch a good deal on an old 280 for 5K, it's over 10K by the time I can get behind the wheel.
.just a thought ...what about repairs and parts in the DR for a 280 MB.....Been there...was hard in my part of the usa.......

Jan 9, 2004

They do know what they are doing.....but....the taxes on my 2011 Camry ready to be shipped are only slightly more than 4k. Not much of a savings or a reason to buy the 280 if its a flat 3k.....using taxes as a percentage of cost basis analysis.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Yes they do. Unless a classic/antique, the vehicle needs to be no older than 5 years.

http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/v...Paginas/ConsultaValoresVehiculosLivianos.aspx

Yes you can.

1. Bringing your vehicle in with a residency will get you lower taxes;
2. Returning Dominican will get you lower taxes (additional rules apply);
3. Buy an exemption from a politico.

Lots of shipping companies and even more individuals to "help" you with the process, but at the end of the day without a recognized exemption above...you will pay 18% ITBIS, 17% first placa, plus any shipping, insurance, and ancillary port costs.

Without one of the exemptions above, use a figure of 40% to 50% of dgii value....as your likely all in costs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Pretty much the same shipping in our 2000 Jeep over 15 years ago under our being a resident status. The car had to be in our name for 3 years to qualify back then. Don't know if the rules have changed on that. 2 trips to some office to verify. Other then an empty tank of gas all was OK. Back then, nothing could be in the car that was not part of the car and less then 1/4 tank of gas was allowed.

If you receive it at the port, they have "expeditors" that will help move you along and of course, for a fee. Pay the fee.

But I'm going back many years so others may have much better information.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We had to buy another Jeep. Suggested retail price in the U.S. was just under $50K. Found a year old one, loaded, in the D.R. for U.S. $65fK. A new one with all the bells and whistles was over U.S. $75K

Should give you an idea on the mark up and how the trade agreements have worked. Import tax low. Every other tax was beyond making up the difference.

D.R. thinking? Loose money here so triple the fees over there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We shipped out of North Jersey, and as soon as we had shipping info we scanned and emailed shipping receipt and title to our contact in Santo Domingo. She took it from there, knew everything and everyone, including a guy who went to the port and picked up the car for us on the day it was cleared, because it was close to closing time. He sat in a gas station outside the port waiting for us. I know she was able to keep costs down for us.

If anyone is interested, her name is Jacqueline Sanchez, and this is all she does every day. Her cell phone is 829-602-5566. Spanish only.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
oh what a lot of bull$$$$h!t. Any wealthy business man...is ALWAYS concerned with price and knows the value of things. I dont agree with that statement

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Go visit the Porsche dealer unless there is something special about the car you're looking at 

Much less trouble and instant gratification 

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Or to clarify: The only people who import exotic cars are the ones that don't have to worry about the cost (and do so knowingly).

oh what a lot of bull$$$$h!t. Any wealthy business man...is ALWAYS concerned with price and knows the value of things. I dont agree with that statement

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I've owned three Porsches,bought them brand new and I had to keep an extra wheel and tire in my garage for each one of them because I was constantly busting a tire and bending a wheel on the potholes in New England,I could never imagine driving one of my Porsches in the DR with these road conditions,let alone what would happen to the paint etc. on a car that cost just shy of 200K USD. No way would I bring that car to the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lots of Cayennes, 

But honestly they are tricky and costly to repair.

Last time I was in the market for a car, I traded an 'exotic' .
My service manager asked me what I was going to buy..... Cayenne say I.

Save yourself some money , look at the high end Jeep.
Very similar horsepower, Hemi engine and easier to service.

Was About a $20-30,000 savings .

Considering the source, good advice