Is it safe to bring gold coins into the DR?

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
U need to use your head first ! Please. Eps that it's sent to in Florida and the brought over by a private co. Or another such service. Will ensure you get it within a few days . So if you ask or check the forums advanced search there may be several Good ways to do this Economically . If u can't pm me and I will look it up for you caio

I'm using my head by joining this forum and asking questions...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Dunno with the silver but could you not just wear the gold? I mean let a jeweler make some chains or/and rings out of it?

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Melt the metal or leave it in your home country to bring that to the DR would be insane. To do that would be to tell those airport customs agents tell your friend I'm wealthy its ok for him/her to rob me.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Just a thought... my country is over 5,000 miles away, and it takes me 9 hours to get here. Shouldn't you get a faster plane?

BelgianK

Just a thought... If he lives in lets say L.A., San Francisco, or Seattle. There are NO direct flights from these cities to the Santo Domingo or Santiago. Which mean he is on a "red eye" from west to east and then he may have a long layover in Atlanta, NYC, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or Newark. Now if you combine his entire trip it may very well take him 17 to 20 hours like he said.

BTW If you never lived on the west coast of the USA why would you try to make him look silly on something he knows very well and you know very little about.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Just a thought..
West coast to Miami, Atlanta... then on to RD.... not 20 hours.

Seattle to LA, LA to MIA, MIA to SDQ another example Denver to Dallas, Dallas to MIA, MIA to SJU, SJU to SDQ. When you live on the west coast and it depends on the airline, sometimes you bounce around the west coast before you head east.

No Dominicans live west so you are at their mercy if you can't find a direct flight to the east coast. Once I had training seminar in California and my vacation started the second I was finished so I booked my flight from LAX to SDQ. This was the route, LAX to Mexico City then to PTY then to SDQ with the layovers it was about 20 hours.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Seattle to LA, LA to MIA, MIA to SDQ another example Denver to Dallas, Dallas to MIA, MIA to SJU, SJU to SDQ. When you live on the west coast and it depends on the airline, sometimes you bounce around the west coast before you head east.

No Dominicans live west so you are at their mercy if you can't find a direct flight to the east coast. Once I had training seminar in California and my vacation started the second I was finished so I booked my flight from LAX to SDQ. This was the route, LAX to Mexico City then to PTY then to SDQ with the layovers it was about 20 hours.

Well that stinks....
I just finished booking Sydney AU to NYC, NYC to POP (r/t) and back to SYD AU from NYC.

WHEW!!!! Ain't cheap to see your daughter for Christmas....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my friend is flying in soon from chicago. her whole trip from door to door will take as much as my trip to poland. only that it costs about half, eh.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I doubt that, in times of a real crisis will count only the value of the metal and not how nice a coin is... well, maybe... And I think here in the DR if they buy your coins they pay by weight, so doesn't matter coin or chain...

Altering the gold coins to make them into jewelry would probably lower their value.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Melt the metal or leave it in your home country to bring that to the DR would be insane. To do that would be to tell those airport customs agents tell your friend I'm wealthy its ok for him/her to rob me.

Good lord, these are numismatic coins! The value is in the coin itself, not just its gold content. If I melt it down I just reduced the value of the investment. How will the DR customs seize what they don't even know exists? Those idiots barely looked through my bags the last time I went through their customs, these people are incompetent at best. I'm not carrying enough gold to draw any unwanted attention, mix it with some small change and those idiots won't be the wiser. Do you honestly think the idiots at Dominican customs can tell the difference between small change and numismatic gold coins!? Those people have probably never even seen real gold!

I do not want to leave my gold in the USA. As I said before, the American government has a history of gold confiscation. If Uncle Sam decides to outlaw gold again, like he did back in the 1930s, how easy do you think it will be to get gold through the airport then? Better to get the gold out of here before the government really locks down its capital controls. But seriously, I'm not carrying enough gold to draw significant attention. DR customs are extremely incomeptent and I will probably pass through American customs with no problems, let alone the DR. I won't declare anything and will keep
my funds below $10,000, that way all the bases are covered.

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Just a thought... If he lives in lets say L.A., San Francisco, or Seattle. There are NO direct flights from these cities to the Santo Domingo or Santiago. Which mean he is on a "red eye" from west to east and then he may have a long layover in Atlanta, NYC, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or Newark. Now if you combine his entire trip it may very well take him 17 to 20 hours like he said.

BTW If you never lived on the west coast of the USA why would you try to make him look silly on something he knows very well and you know very little about.

Thank you! This website is full of a bunch of "know it alls" that clearly know very little. Any idiot can go to Orbitz or Hotwire, key in a flight/date from any major city on the West Coast to the DR, and they will see that almost every flight is at least 16 hours long with a bunch of layovers. Unless you're flying on a freaking Lear Jet, you will absolutely not find any direct flights from the West Coast to the Dominican Republic. So flying back and forth to get the metals out of the country is out of the question, the flights are long plus the cost of the flights would eat into the value of the metals...........

For the amount it costs you to fly back and forth to the DR from the west coast, I could just hire Brinks or Viamat to transport the metals themselves, and I would save myself a bunch of time. But, I've done the math. The cost of transporting the silver via Brinks or Viamat would be about the same as flying back and forth to get the precious metals, and the cost would eat into the value of the metals so that plan is essentially worthless.