Is Sto Dgo one of the 10 most dagerous cities in the world? IDTS

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You be the judge:
I was walking down El Conde in Santo Domingo one evening and a grande Presidente bottle was thrown towards me and hit me in the arm. Needless to say I was not expecting to get hit with anything. A woman was fighting with a guy at the bar and decided to throw a bottle at him and got me instead.
Late one night I was driving on Independencia and I hear gun shot near by. I look to me left and this drug addict run by my car and on the right side of the car is a guy with a pistol, shooting and run after this druggie.
Every time I am driving by myself in the capital the police stop me and try to shake me down. I thought they should be protecting me from crime.
I have lived in New York City since 1972 and have never experienced these incidents. Only on vacation in Santo Domingo. It's ok, because it makes good conversation.

I must be going to different places than you go, because even though I grew up in The DR and go there several times a year nowadays I have yet to be hit by a bottle or be near shootout. I'm not saying these things don't happen is just it's never happened to me...I'm just lucky I guess...Knock on wood.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I guess its Santo Domingo's turn to be portrayed as worst than Baghdad on DR1.

Oh well, I guess Sosua can take break a for a few days. LOL

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
did we post the homicide rate in SD? I think I saw somewhere in the thread that it was around 1000?

well, over 500 of those were women. As in violence against women. Which is not .. for the most part.. street violence.. but is more like being killed by someone you know -- although only half of them were killed by a partner. I do not know. It is a complicated figure and I have only researched it on the surface.

And, of course, that only refers to homocides

not to robberies or the like.

I think so much of it depends on where you ARE in the city.

But .. if SD is one of the most 10 most dangerous cities in the world, then the world is in much better shape than I thought it was in!

so hurray for that!

2352 homicides in 2009.(one.gob.do)
210 women killed by their partner in 2010 (Ritmo de feminicidios es alarmante en Rep?blica Dominicana, seg?n feminista - ElDia.com.do)

Violence is a way to try and solve problems. As you put it, it is not always related to street delinquency.

A curious aspect of this violence is that it contrasts with the relaxed, helpful and peaceful behaviour of most Dominican people in daily life. There is no (that's my perception) verbal violence in DR. Do you often hear somebody sayin SOB, f.. and the likes to somebody else in the streets? No. Words still have a meaning and you have to control yourself and think it twice before insulting somebody, because there could come violent retaliation.

Again, this is a personal feeling, I find the streets in DR more peaceful than in my own country, even if I know that you have to be careful due to street delinquency.

Careful, yes, parano?d, no. I join the "hurray" 100%

Respectfully,

Barnab?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I guess its Santo Domingo's turn to be portrayed as worst than Baghdad on DR1.

Oh well, I guess Sosua can take break a for a few days. LOL
Read the thread, NALs, most posters are pouring scorn on the bullsh!t top ten list while acknowledging the undeniable fact that SD isn't as safe as it used to be.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Read the thread, NALs, most posters are pouring scorn on the bullsh!t top ten list while acknowledging the undeniable fact that SD isn't as safe as it used to be.

yes, NALS. from my vantage point, it does appear that most posters are not in agreement with the entries on the list.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
this is just lousy reporting../ There has been NO SUCH ALERT from the US EMBASSY whose warnings and advise to travelers on the DR remains the same as it has been for years.. Dominican Republic

the reporter just saw this report Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World - Top 10 Best Lists - Top 10 Best Lists

and had to come up with copy for the day...

That list is hilarious. Santo Domingo number 2. Please. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10 in Latin America and it wouldn't even make my top 2 in the Caribbean.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
That list is hilarious. Santo Domingo number 2. Please. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10 in Latin America and it wouldn't even make my top 2 in the Caribbean.

Probably Kevin Mathews (The author of the article) got robbed in Santo Domingo and that's why is No. 2 in his mind. He says "The city is mainly filled with crime mobs and gangsters who strive to control the area of Santo Domingo." so you can tell is not from any scientific point of view, but his personal opinions.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I actually live in central Santo Domingo and there is no doubt that , even in more affluent areas, there has been an increase in nervousness . Just as been written by others, I am tired of being pulled over by police or the army when driving and being asked to show my licence, where am I going and what am I carrying , or maybe being accused of an illegal turn that is , in fact totally legal .I am tired of these people having their guns at the ready when talking to me.,
Just as been written by others I have witnessed crimes such as robbery and assault but only in recent years and I have been followed too many times to be pleasant . It may not be as dangerous as most African cities but you need to be constantly alert

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
The delinquency problem, for most people, is in daily atracos (which are as common as power cuts now) more than in murders. The probability to get robbed, possibly with violence, is very high for any Dominican. Not so for murders. Nobody cares much about Figueroa Agosto's murders, I think. Just businessmen solving their disputes.

This is the wild west, in the sense that anything might happen. But you can also go in the worst slum and get out safe. In France -and I assume you must know that in the States or elsewhere - there are neighborhoods where you will NOT enter. They won't let you in. Police cars don't enter these neighborhoods, too dangerous. 15 years old guys might make their cars a wreck, at best. When people living in a building want to enter, they have an ID check by those same 15 years old guys, to make sure they are not undercover cops... i don't know of any place like this in the DR.

This is a dangerous city, but not that there are gunshots and street fighting on every corner..

Respectfully,

Barnab?

2352 homicides in 2009 in Santo Domingo.

Per Wikipedia: The entire country of France averages "about" 1,000 homicides per year.

Math doesn't lie.

Last edited:

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I tend to be a numbers and common sense sorta guy. It always helps me to - ugh - win my argument. :nervous:

Population of Santo Domingo in 2003 2,084,852
Population of Baltimore Maryland in 2003 620,961

There's this thing called per Capita that helps validate my argument. If you are unsure...Google is your friend, my friend. :)

Baltimore per 100,000 residents as of 2009 - homicides was 37%
StoDgo per 1000,00 residents as of 2008 - homicides was 20.2%

How's this for common sense?

Baltimore = 2.7 million in metro area = 223 homicides (2010)
Sto Dgo = 3.5 million in metro area = 2352 homicides (2009)

Run the per capita on that for me would ya?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

Per Wikipedia: The entire country of France averages "about" 1,000 homicides per year.

Math doesn't lie.

That is quite shocking, although, I think every city and town everywhere in the world has become more violent and dangerous to some degree. This is part of what happens as the newer generations become more comfortable to seriously hurt or kill people over very little. Even my little village in Scotland became more dangerous a short time ago. In my day kids didn't hang around deliberately intimidating the young and elderly, people didn't get stabbed over spilling someones drink, youths did not break into homes while the owners were in bed, carjacking at traffic lights etc etc etc, this is all a shady development in todays younger generations, a new kind of badness, not how it was, and this is everywhere. It is now more cool to be a real badass, carry weapons and live without respect for anything, living in a word where the ruthless have no respect is dangerous and intimidating. The number of problems in the capital has little to do with organized crime I think, young very undereducated delinquents who think everything on TV is real is the big problem, every night when I lived off independencia I would hear gunshots, every singe night without fail. I had to stop watching the news as it made me uneasy. But I doubt it compares to many real hardcore cities, this entire country seems to be a wannabe something else, it just is making a bad job of wanting to be something not very nice.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
How's this for common sense?

Baltimore = 2.7 million in metro area = 223 homicides (2010)
Sto Dgo = 3.5 million in metro area = 2352 homicides (2009)

Run the per capita on that for me would ya?

Where do you get these numbers? Totally false...

Baltimore's population is only about 630,000 Baltimore city QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Their murder rate is 30+ per 100k people...just look anywhere on the web (i.e. here Baltimore Crime Beat: Baltimore moves to No. 2 in murder rate - Baltimore crime news: Police, courts and police stories in the city and central Maryland - baltimoresun.com

The 2000+ homicides you're talking about are for the whole country which has a population of 10 million+. Bottom line homicide rate for DR is about 26 per 100,000 whereas in Baltimore is about 37 per 100,000.

May 12, 2005
A lot of these homicides are ladrones killing ladrones. In 9 out of 10 killings, the victim knew his assailant. It is very rare that a murder is completely random.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I do not think that what Frank says is now correct ..it may have been but I think oportunistic murders where the murderer thinks there is a financial gain is a large percentage..like taxi drivers being killed for their takings, shop attendants being shot and muggers using knives ,,I would hate anyone living in SD not to be very street wise on the assumption that killers know their victims

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
.like taxi drivers being killed for their takings

Not even that, just look at those 6 murders a few months ago where they were forced to drink drain cleaner. My partners uncle was shot in the head 6 months ago, and just last week her father was held up, he stupidly refused to hand over his takings, thankfully they didn't kill him. Taxi is a seriously dangerous job, along with street food vendor and strangely colmado owner, they are aways getting held up.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002

Math doesn't lie.

You are absolutely true, just that you can give figure a bias.

The true problem in SD's delinquency is not the number of murders (which many times are not 'random' , as pointed out by other posters) , but the quantity of robberies of all sorts. Of course this is my opinion personal opinion and you can think it's nonsense..

About France, I never mentioned a high quantity of murders in France in my post, if you read it. FYI, 1.6 million crimes and offences in France in 2010. That's the type of delinquency I was referring to. This is the same deliquency that upset the people in RD and elsewhere.

Respectfully,

Barnab?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Where do you get these numbers? Totally false...

Baltimore's population is only about 630,000 Baltimore city QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Their murder rate is 30+ per 100k people...just look anywhere on the web (i.e. here Baltimore Crime Beat: Baltimore moves to No. 2 in murder rate - Baltimore crime news: Police, courts and police stories in the city and central Maryland - baltimoresun.com

The 2000+ homicides you're talking about are for the whole country which has a population of 10 million+. Bottom line homicide rate for DR is about 26 per 100,000 whereas in Baltimore is about 37 per 100,000.

As I said in my previous post in reply to Mason3000, maths don't lie, but you can give them a bias.:cross-eye

Respectfully,

Barnab?

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I question the reliability of the crime statistics in the DR. Modern police forces document and quantify everything in order to more effectively deploy forces and prevent crime. My suspicion is that the statistics coming out of the DR (for everything, not just crime) are highly suspect.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I question the reliability of the crime statistics in the DR. Modern police forces document and quantify everything in order to more effectively deploy forces and prevent crime. My suspicion is that the statistics coming out of the DR (for everything, not just crime) are highly suspect.

I would tend to agree with you about certain things such as economic growth, etc...but murder statistics are very easy to compile and very clear cut so I would think these are pretty reliable.