Is there a real medicine for GRIPE

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as a pharmacy worker i will be honest with you - nothing works ;)
meds help with some of the symptoms but there is not much you can do.
you can take winasorb, sinutab, algho, antiflu des, tabcin, whatever you want.
acetaminophen or paracetamol, if you prefer that name, will help with the fever as has been said.
virus is a virus but often with gripe/flu one has bacterial infecion that attacs pulmones, you can take diclo-k-biotic for that (diclofenac with antibiotic).
but really just rest, drink some gatorade and do nothing. if you feel worse, specially with breathing affected go to the doctor.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
To be honest, I always remember two things my late Dad (my hero) who was a pharmacist always said about medication:

1) Medicine is for selling, not for taking
2) There isn't a pill for every ill

Now obviously in the event of a bacterial infection, one will require conventional treatment. Problem is, many people, including physicians are quick on the antibiotics. This is the reason we have all these "superbugs" today, many which become resistant to conventional treatments and our bodies become dependent, instead of improving immunity and fighting off illness naturally.

Hope you are feeling better waytogo!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
as a pharmacy worker i will be honest with you - nothing works ;)
but really just rest, drink some gatorade and do nothing. if you feel worse, specially with breathing affected go to the doctor.

That is exactly what I'm doing...sleep sleep and more sleep
Plenty of liquids and the usual gripe meds but solid food is out of the question.
I get up for 15-20 minutes and that's all I can handle and back to bed.
and thank you drloca.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
That is exactly what I'm doing...sleep sleep and more sleep
Plenty of liquids and the usual gripe meds but solid food is out of the question.
I get up for 15-20 minutes and that's all I can handle and back to bed.
and thank you drloca.

Good...sounds like you are listening to your body...it will thank you later!

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
Soladek

I agree. Also, mix a "Soladek" with some orange juice, and drink. Excellent for building up the defenses, so you don't get sick again...

I have had Soladek referred to me as a way to ward off gripe. In searching internet there appears to be a problem with Vitamin D toxicity with this supplement.

The adult daily requirement of vitamin D is less than 1,000 IU, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Soladek contains 600,000 IU with each vial.

Soladek contains vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) not safe whereas vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) safe in that there are no documented cases of toxicity or overdoses.

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), causing symptoms such as:

* Nausea
* Vomiting
* Poor appetite
* Constipation
* Weakness
* Confusion
* Heart rhythm abnormalities
* Kidney stones

As always, do your research and make informed decisions when taking medication. Particularly those prescribed by doctors. For example, infant vitamins here contain flouride. Prescribing pediatrician was not even aware of the "fluro".

Reactions: Lucille

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yeah, I'm in the grips of the gripe right now, and there really isn't anything you can do.

Chicken soup, Vick's Vapor Rub, caldo de pollo (steaming hot), Nyquil, and cough drops with menthol.

You'll either feel better in a few days or you'll get worse.

I also recommend putting on layers of clothing and working up a sweat. If your chest/throat hurts, puts lots of vapor rub on, turn the heat on in your house and do some push-ups, or a little air guitar to Van Halen or AC/DC.

Or turn the hot water on in your bathroom and take a steam.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
Celestone

Celestone gave me and others the best relief from the all-inclusive gripe.
.5mg twice a day around 25 pesos each. No more than 3 days.

It would be nice to have something to build immune against this instead of taking drugs.

B Complex seems to be the best.

I gargle with hydrogen peroxide almost daily and it seems to have helped. 3 others in my family where sick recently and I made it through without much but some sinus congestion.

My wife tried and it says it does help greatly. Whether or not this is true, H2O2 is inexpensive and great for cleaning wounds, whitening teeth.

Small bottle 15 pesos.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
on that note,

Drink some dettol, it gets rid of 99.9% of virus.

For Legal Reasons:

That was in fact a joke. Don't actually drink dettol.

BlackRainbow

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, wait, i tell you what works for me. hot water with lots of lemons and some honey. proportions are up to you, i like it a bit more sour. very good natural drink.
and eat as much garlic and onion as you can and your other half can bear :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Problem is, many people, including physicians are quick on the antibiotics. This is the reason we have all these "superbugs" today, many which become resistant to conventional treatments and our bodies become dependent, instead of improving immunity and fighting off illness naturally.

they key to taking atibiotics is moderation. this is probably the best and most important medicine ever invented but it is widely abused now. i take antibiotics only when i have no other choice because the more you take the less thay work. still, they are much needed for some bacterial infections that will not get better on their own.

i just got over gripe myslef, sans antibiotics and sans pills other than tylenol PM to make me sleep better. all day long i had my tea and tons of stinky garlic. yummy!

Reactions: woofsback

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
What about regaining strength? I was a little flu and cold, maybe something else for about 3 weeks on and off, now for about 10 days or more I have had absolutely zero strength, am utterly knackered all day from morning till night. I don't feel ill, just as though my body has no fuel yet I am eating as normal. I seldom go to the docs unless on deaths door.
Any motivational energising remedies out there for regaining your spring?

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
not joking

What about regaining strength? I was a little flu and cold, maybe something else for about 3 weeks on and off, now for about 10 days or more I have had absolutely zero strength, am utterly knackered all day from morning till night. I don't feel ill, just as though my body has no fuel yet I am eating as normal. I seldom go to the docs unless on deaths door.

i work in a paint shop and we use electro-static to paint
when holding the gun it acts as a ground but if not connected properly a charge goes through your system and can leave you a little discomboobled
it actually changes the heart pulse a touch

now your lazer test may have contributed to your overall mood some what
if the test was done in that 3 week period...if not than disregard this post

if it was done in the 3 week period then get your heart checked to see if there is an abnormal rythum to your pulse

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

there are few things, depending on how much do you want to spend :)
i would recommend ginseng, simple and quite effective. same with ginkgo biloba. both natural. also spirulina, green algae. all about 10 pesos per pill or below.
other than that there is arginine aspartate sold here under different names (potenciator, sargenor), comes in drinkable vials. about 80 pesos each, you take one a day for about a week. prolonged use is not good.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
there are few things, depending on how much do you want to spend :)
i would recommend ginseng, simple and quite effective. same with ginkgo biloba. both natural. also spirulina, green algae. all about 10 pesos per pill or below.
other than that there is arginine aspartate sold here under different names (potenciator, sargenor), comes in drinkable vials. about 80 pesos each, you take one a day for about a week. prolonged use is not good.

What do you think is best for immediate effect? Got some very important days ahead and dreading not being on the ball for then, not physically draining but mentally quite stressful.
I can try and deal with the long term effects once I have myself up and running on the quick fix.

As far as my testing goes, no it was quite a while back when I did it, but me and my daughter did get knocked down in that lightening storm not so long ago, she ended up back and forth to the hospital after that for about a week, I never did bother getting myself checked out, like I said, I don't do docs unless on deaths door.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all good things take time to work. maybe start from buying SUKROL, another vitamine/minerals supplement. in pills. take double dosis for few days.
or ginseng in drinking vials.
and have yourself checked by neurologo. brain damage is nothing to joke about.