Is toplessness in the D.R. legal or not?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Even dogs have to put up with watching these men

bS9zt

That right there just may be my number 1 disliked thing about life in DR.

May 5, 2007
It occurs all the time in Guayacanes, Juan Dolio, and Bayahibe. So frequently, that you don't even notice any more. Men with shirts on, or wearing dental floss speedos at the beach stand out more. Mostly Europeans.

At the old Boca Chica Beach resort topless was allowed around the small pool

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
It is illegal for women to bathe topless on a beach surrounded by skimpily dressed tourists. It is not illegal for a man to get his d**k out and have a pee on the road in full sight of everyone.

Go figure.

Matilda

That made my day.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
It happens here in PC as well, both at AIs and private condos. Did see a fairly lovely sight at Poseidon Restaurant one day. I'm thinking they were fresh out of the box.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
right-hand side, 2nd bullet states "Topless sunbathing is not permitted in the Domincan Republic"
http://slickpic.us/1405769NMQj

Is there an actual law or bylaw somewhere that states this? I realize some resorts allow this and some don't but I am curious if there really IS an actual law regarding this for the Dominican Republic in general.

I been in the DR on and off for 30 years. There is topless bathing all over the country. It really depends on what is the norm on a particular beach. I live in Las Terrenas for 6 years and there was topless bathing everyday on Playa Las Ballenas and I have seen some also on Playa Popi. These beaches have many French, German and Italian tourists and ex-pats. This is the norm for them. On beaches closer to Santo Domingo you may not find this. If you are discreet and don't flaunt the fact, such as, casually strolling down the beach topless then you will not be bothered. If you are under a palm tree minding your own business no one will bother you. I have also seen topless bathing at some all inclusives. Police don't normally patrol the beaches. I really don't think this is a big issue.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I was in Cozumel taking some nice video of a pretty beach. I didn't notice at the time but I captured several young ladies topless. They looked super young and since i can't tell the difference between 17 1/2 and 19 I immediately deleted the video. I took a couple of still shots instead. Afterward I was thinking what a scam potential such a thing could be. the whole thing freaked me out. I felt like a pervy creep and I was just innocently videoing a memory.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I was in Cozumel taking some nice video of a pretty beach. I didn't notice at the time but I captured several young ladies topless. They looked super young and since i can't tell the difference between 17 1/2 and 19 I immediately deleted the video. I took a couple of still shots instead. Afterward I was thinking what a scam potential such a thing could be. the whole thing freaked me out. I felt like a pervy creep and I was just innocently videoing a memory.

I guess you have never been to the South of France ? LOL
or anywhere in Germany on a HOT August Day, at the RIVER, even in the middle of a CITY, their Rivers are CLEAN.. so they go Bathing .. ALL TOPLESS.. Its actually hard to find one NOT Topless
they dont care if you catch them on a picture as long as you are not specifically targeting them.. or in their face or in the Bushes with a 300 MM Zoom Lens ... I would not sweat it .

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Ditto what JD said. They are clearly devoid of most of the sexual hangups of us North Americans. It was a bit off-putting to me at first, but I learned to go with the flow.

Jan 7, 2016
right-hand side, 2nd bullet states "Topless sunbathing is not permitted in the Domincan Republic"

Is there an actual law or bylaw somewhere that states this? I realize some resorts allow this and some don't but I am curious if there really IS an actual law regarding this for the Dominican Republic in general.

I wouldn't worry about what you saw printed...The Barcelo Dominican Beach is NO MORE. It's now SunScape, which is an American operation and they don't give a sh*t. The beach is now littered with topless bathers and gomers in Speedos! Enjoy!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I guess you have never been to the South of France ? LOL
or anywhere in Germany on a HOT August Day, at the RIVER, even in the middle of a CITY, their Rivers are CLEAN.. so they go Bathing .. ALL TOPLESS.. Its actually hard to find one NOT Topless
they dont care if you catch them on a picture as long as you are not specifically targeting them.. or in their face or in the Bushes with a 300 MM Zoom Lens ... I would not sweat it .

Your absolutely right. Have seen Mother, daughter and her young daughter all topless. I am not sure why anyone should be freaked out about this. It's just another day in paradise for those who treat it that way. In NY State topless bathing is legal. You can also find nude beaches. Bring the SPF 50. Ouch!

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
In Munich there is a large park in the center of the city where many of the sunbathers a completely naked.
Interesting walking thru the park normally clothed.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
I wouldn't worry about what you saw printed...The Barcelo Dominican Beach is NO MORE. It's now SunScape, which is an American operation and they don't give a sh*t. The beach is now littered with topless bathers and gomers in Speedos! Enjoy!

Thanks, I get that the resort has changed hands and the photo I took of their handbook may or may not still exist... I have seen this at other resorts... MY question was and still is... is their an actual law or bylaw regarding this or not?

I have been enough times to know that topless is tolerated at most resorts but my question was regarding the law or is it just against customs for an actual Dominican female to go topless as I have never seen this whether it be a private or public beach.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

My own opinion is that public and private beaches ar different form each other. That which may be allowed on a private beach is still illegal on public property.
Der Fish

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks, I get that the resort has changed hands and the photo I took of their handbook may or may not still exist... I have seen this at other resorts... MY question was and still is... is their an actual law or bylaw regarding this or not?

I have been enough times to know that topless is tolerated at most resorts but my question was regarding the law or is it just against customs for an actual Dominican female to go topless as I have never seen this whether it be a private or public beach.
Dominican women in general don't go topless. In fact, the more conservative types wear a shirt of some sort over their bikinis.

If a Dominican woman is seen topless, she will be judge very badly. If her parents/family is well known in the area, the bad image will have repercussions on them too, especially on her parents.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The OP is looking for the guidance of Sr. Guzman as to the law. Is it or isn't it lawful?