Is toplessness in the D.R. legal or not?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I wouldn't worry about what you saw printed...The Barcelo Dominican Beach is NO MORE. It's now SunScape, which is an American operation and they don't give a sh*t. The beach is now littered with topless bathers and gomers in Speedos! Enjoy!

Ditto. Noticing a lot more topless female sunbathers on Playa Dorada and Cabarete beaches. Mostly European and Québécois. The local police  keep ,"abreast", of the situation by turning a blind eye. 

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
right-hand side, 2nd bullet states "Topless sunbathing is not permitted in the Domincan Republic"
http://slickpic.us/1405769NMQj

Is there an actual law or bylaw somewhere that states this? I realize some resorts allow this and some don't but I am curious if there really IS an actual law regarding this for the Dominican Republic in general.

Can anyone post the intellectual reason for toplessness being against the law but prostitution flaunted and permitted all over?
I know this will probably open up (if this even gets posted here) can of worms so to speak.  It is ironic because just this morning I was in San Juan shopping when I looked up as I was driving out and saw Huge sign advertising Cocoloco Bar & Girls. What do You think this is advertising?  But a woman who is on a hotel beach which she has paid for has to be Afraid of being topless? Cmon now😳

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I'll bite on that bait.  Toplessness at a beach is public.  A private transaction behind closed doors does less to offend the sensibilities of those who define law and order.  

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Refresh my memory........the guy who got arrested awhile back.....wasn't it for taking photos in public of a topless girl/"model"??  Couldn't find the thread

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I'll bite on that bait.  Toplessness at a beach is public.  A private transaction behind closed doors does less to offend the sensibilities of those who define law and order.  

Sorry I really don't understand the reasoning of your post.  "Sensibilities of those who define law and order"?  It is an oxymoron as in ..ok to ---- but not ok to take off your top?  And whose sensibilities are offended? Dominican men? I really thonk not. So you can skirt the issue you know I am referring to. ..ok for men to use and abuse women in a lounge but not ok for woman to
sun herself at her hotel. She might get hauled away for being promiscuous on her hotel beach.  Of course we all on this forum really know the answer.  All afraid to voice certain truths. So your answer is probably the consensus of most dominicanos.  
It is what it is.  

I thought there might be another kibd of discussion but realize there cannot be, at least on this forum.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Can anyone post the intellectual reason for toplessness being against the law but prostitution flaunted and permitted all over?
I know this will probably open up (if this even gets posted here) can of worms so to speak.  It is ironic because just this morning I was in San Juan shopping when I looked up as I was driving out and saw Huge sign advertising Cocoloco Bar & Girls. What do You think this is advertising?  But a woman who is on a hotel beach which she has paid for has to be Afraid of being topless? Cmon now??????

Simple; Latin American man's world. And all Coco Loco is advertising now is space for sale. That lasted maybe 3 months.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quote Originally Posted by jeb321 View Post

Expecting laws to make sense will frequently disappoint.

In the DR prostitution is not illegal while women going topless in public is illegal. It is what it is.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Simple; Latin American man's world. And all Coco Loco is advertising now is space for sale. That lasted maybe 3 months.

Sorry but methinks you are wrong that sign looked afixed to actual place.  Have you seen it?  And advertising?  Advertising what do you think they are advertising?  Maybe advertising for the girls who are parading themselves and their b...ty, around the Sunix gas station? 

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Sorry but methinks you are wrong that sign looked afixed to actual place.  Have you seen it?  And advertising?  Advertising what do you think they are advertising?  Maybe advertising for the girls who are parading themselves and their b...ty, around the Sunix gas station? 

Coco Loco has been closed for months. What are you taking that you see girls parading around in there?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

In the DR prostitution is not illegal while women going topless in public is illegal. It is what it is.

This is about the silliest argument I have witnessed on DR1. Who cares if topless sunbathing is legal or not? It is a common practice and I doubt anyone has ever gotten arrested for it. If it offends you for any reason than don't go the beach where this is being done. Prostitution is a common practice, also. The DR gov does realize they can't control thousands of women who make the choice to pursue this nor do they have the money to do it. In their eyes these women or men are independent workers and the gov doesn't have to provide many resources for them. They don't care as long as these people are earning money and can take care of themselves. Yes this is a Catholic country but it is also a daily reality for those who are trying to survive in a third world.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Coco Loco has been closed for months. What are you taking that you see girls parading around in there?

I guess You just did not Read my post.  Read it again.  Two different thoughts my friend.  1.  Huge storefront on road Across from where Chef Pepper is at San Juan Shopping Center 2 signs one larger than next "Coco Loco Lounge &Girls"
2.  Girls obvious putas trolling around Sunix gas station.  Can't miss em my friend ... Just sayin. 
Right by all the fun in Downtown Punta Cana.
Understand?
When I figure out how to attach my pictures I will put them on here.  

Jan 7, 2016
I guess You just did not Read my post.  Read it again.  Two different thoughts my friend.  1.  Huge storefront on road Across from where Chef Pepper is at San Juan Shopping Center 2 signs one larger than next "Coco Loco Lounge &Girls"
2.  Girls obvious putas trolling around Sunix gas station.  Can't miss em my friend ... Just sayin. 
Right by all the fun in Downtown Punta Cana.
Understand?
When I figure out how to attach my pictures I will put them on here.  

Coco Loco will probably never die...due to the fact that it's the bus stop for the Expresso to Higuey and a terminous for the local Guaguas. They have to have some place to grab a bite and a piece of a** before they begin or end their trips!

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Coco Loco will probably never die...due to the fact that it's the bus stop for the Expresso to Higuey and a terminous for the local Guaguas. They have to have some place to grab a bite and a piece of a** before they begin or end their trips!

You are so right! Laugh laugh laugh

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
This is about the silliest argument I have witnessed on DR1. Who cares if topless sunbathing is legal or not? It is a common practice and I doubt anyone has ever gotten arrested for it. If it offends you for any reason than don't go the beach where this is being done. Prostitution is a common practice, also. The DR gov does realize they can't control thousands of women who make the choice to pursue this nor do they have the money to do it. In their eyes these women or men are independent workers and the gov doesn't have to provide many resources for them. They don't care as long as these people are earning money and can take care of themselves. Yes this is a Catholic country but it is also a daily reality for those who are trying to survive in a third world.

We are agreed.  When I was a boy I read "The reader's Digest" regularly, compliments of my grandmother's subscription.  There was a regular article along the lines of "Weird and whacky antiquated laws".  You know, thenwhack ones like you can't walk your donkey on the left side of the street during a waxing moon.  

Laws are rarely repealed.  They just stop getting enforced.  Yuh know, New England blue laws.  Or for example a law which remained extant into the 21st century that no Native American could be present within the city if Boston after sundown.  A rare example of an obsolete law overturned.  As I recall by NA activists and crusading journalists who introduced it to mainstream media.  Of course, in liberal Boston it play d well.  Btw, the same liberal Boston which Michael Che referred To as  the most racist city he ever visited.  

So, there's that. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Got it!  So you can't answer the question.  

I said that in the DR prostitution is not illegal and topless sunbathing is illegal. What question did I fail to answer?

This is an entirely different point. The question was if a women being topless is illegal or not. It is illegal. Whether that law is enforced is a completely different topic. Who cares if topless sunbathing is illegal or not? The person who made the original post!

We are agreed.  When I was a boy I read "The reader's Digest" regularly, compliments of my grandmother's subscription.  There was a regular article along the lines of "Weird and whacky antiquated laws".  You know, thenwhack ones like you can't walk your donkey on the left side of the street during a waxing moon.  

Laws are rarely repealed.  They just stop getting enforced.  Yuh know, New England blue laws.  Or for example a law which remained extant into the 21st century that no Native American could be present within the city if Boston after sundown.  A rare example of an obsolete law overturned.  As I recall by NA activists and crusading journalists who introduced it to mainstream media.  Of course, in liberal Boston it play d well.  Btw, the same liberal Boston which Michael Che referred To as  the most racist city he ever visited.  

So, there's that. 

mofongoloco, I agree with your analysis of silly laws.

Until the law about it being illegal for women to be topless is revoked, it is one of those silly laws. When do I expect that silly law to be revoked in the DR? I don't expect a repeal.