Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This store will open tomorrow.

JIMTJUP.png

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Lots and lots of money in San Francisco de Macoris

I'll let you guess where a lot of it comes from.

SFM has lost more young men to drugs and/or dealing than any other town in the DR.
Does that make this the most obvious clue on the internet this week?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The only reason I know this is because I saw a report on a US news program about them a few years back. I don't remember where. I thought it was 60 minutes but I can't find it now.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Today is the day. It's already open for business.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Firstit must be answered why all these companies waited so long to open a store in SFM? With all that money from drugs, it should had been among the first places. Not places like Punta Cana, Santo Domingo Este or even Santiago. I guess these business people don't like money. :unsure:

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Firstit must be answered why all these companies waited so long to open a store in SFM? With all that money from drugs, it should had been among the first places. Not places like Punta Cana, Santo Domingo Este or even Santiago. I guess these business people don't like money. :unsure:
Very rarely would I agree with you. Very true.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

There have been a Jumbo open in SPM for years, why and what's the reason that brought them to open it is out of my mind?

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
I was in the Peace Corps in the late 1980's and lived in SFM. Married someone from a nearby campo, Jaya, some 33 years ago. I've seen a great deal of change and growth over the last three decades. It used to have a little under 100,000 people back then and I think is getting close to 200,000 today. I love going to Macoris with a base in the campo and the mountains. The Sendero de Cacao is very nice, and there are some other ecotourism places imbedded in the mountains near Loma Quita Espuela. Rancho Don Lulu and Fabulous Hotel. For those who live in SFM, Nagua is an hour for a beach trip, or Rio San Juan if you are willing to drive a little further. Las Terrenes and the North Coast are less than 2 hours. Lots and. lots of Dominicans who lived in the US have moved back for retirement. We have dozens with my wife's family who live part of the year there and part here.
what's the difference between jfk and the 'pc'?, the 'pc' is still on life support

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There have been a Jumbo open in SPM for years, why and what's the reason that brought them to open it is out of my mind?
That was the first Jumbo. It open in 2003 or around there if I remember correctly. Jumbo belongs to CCN which is one of the largest and wealthiest commerce company. They are the same people that own Nacional, Cuesta Libros, Casa Cuesta and a few others. I think they are the owners of the Cuadra shopping plazas appearing all over the place. I think they are copying Grupo Ramos (Sirena, Sirena Market, Aprezio, etc) as they started creating shopping plazas named Multiplaza.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Didn't know that piece, but why SPM?

The place is a shit hole with no progress.
There was no store like that in that town and it borders one of the wealthiest neighborhoods.