Kindle Recommendation

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I love my Paperwhite, but I also have a Fire 8. Paperwhite is for books only, while the Fire 8 is for Netflix.
I used to take a laptop on the road. No more. The Fire HD 8 does an excellent job.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I decided to go with the new Paperwhite, not interested in a tablet, it's just for books.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
When my old Kindle finally died---battery wouldn't charge---I contacted Amazon customer service and after troubleshooting failed offered a new one at a huge discount. I suppose that's because I buy so many books from them.

If you have not already pulled the trigger on a new one, give them a call and maybe save some cheese...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
i like paper backs JS
The Kindle Paperwhite almost exactly emulates the look and texture of a page from a paper book. You can even add digital notes.

I have MOL 225 books on my Kindle with room for more...

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
i like paper backs JS

I did as well. Loved them. As mentioned above, I used to dedicate one entire suitcase to them on my trips. I had the packing down to a science, they would fit perfectly. T-shirts on top and bottom to protect from any moisture entering. LOL. Customs occasionally asked if I was selling them in DR. There was never a question on paying the fee for the extra suitcase....they were MY BOOKS! As AE mentioned, one problem I had was with what to do with them upon completion. I wasn't going to return with them, and libraries in New York had stopped accepting donated paperbacks. As she did, I would leave them in the lobby of my apartment complex. The complex was a combination of owners and renters, so there were always people coming and going. The books always found a new home. I was introduced to the Paperwhite by a mid-70's Italian woman in the complex. The same woman who introduced me to Smartphones and WhatsApp. LOL. My life has been much easier since. The Paperwhite has been everywhere. Pool, beach, bar, planes, trains, automobiles, this country, that country, etc. Everywhere. No more extra suitcases, or matchbook book markers.
God bless Signora Rosa.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Now I have a hard time reading a real book. I'll look for the Kindle version, it's lighter, easier on the eyes.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I'm a voracious reader, and my Kindle is a lifesaver in DR. I'm on my third one, and the page turner button sticks, and jumps ahead several pages sometimes, so it's time for #4.

I'm wondering if anyone recommends a particular model over another. I had the original with the keyboard buttons, and last two were the smaller size. Now they offer the Paperwhite, and some others. Pros and cons?

Thanks

I don't have Kindle, but do have a Samsung 7 inch tablet. Nook from Barnes and Noble can be downloaded onto any Samsung tablet (I have been told) They have over a million free downloadable books which I avail myself of. I believe Kindle also has an app that can be put on any Samsung tablet, but not sure. My tablet is backlit and has several choices of brightness to choose from.
Der Fish

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't have Kindle, but do have a Samsung 7 inch tablet. Nook from Barnes and Noble can be downloaded onto any Samsung tablet (I have been told) They have over a million free downloadable books which I avail myself of. I believe Kindle also has an app that can be put on any Samsung tablet, but not sure. My tablet is backlit and has several choices of brightness to choose from.
Der Fish

I can do that with my iPad too, but a Kindle is lighter, smaller, and the battery lasts forever. I can use it onehanded. Just my preference.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...and I miss the tactile feedback from a rotary dial telephone. Paper has served us well, but like video tape, the heyday of paper books for entertainment is drawing to a close. After a few more boomers move on to the great Dewey Decimal Hall above, there will be no one left to lament the slaughter of all those trees and brain cancer inducing RFI technology can run rampant towards its zenith.

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
...and I miss the tactile feedback from a rotary dial telephone. Paper has served us well, but like video tape, the heyday of paper books for entertainment is drawing to a close. After a few more boomers move on to the great Dewey Decimal Hall above, there will be no one left to lament the slaughter of all those trees and brain cancer inducing RFI technology can run rampant towards its zenith.

I must respectfully disagree and off up vinyl as an example.

Regardless for me actual books are superiour when practical yet on vacation or at the beach etc....a tablet/Kindle is better for some.

Personal preference. I have mine and you're welcome to yours.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If I still lived somewhere with good bookshops I would probably still buy a lot of books and only use the Kindle when travelling. But as I live in the DR this beggar can't be a chooser. I was living in Oxford where there are several excellent bookshops. The larger ones could get as busy on normal weekends as US department stores do on Black Friday, but then I moved to the DR where there are hardly any. The ones that do exist, and sometimes supermarkets too, might have one rack of crappy dog-eared bestsellers in English - and that's if you're lucky.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
After last winter in the DR with little to read and nothing of interest left in our library, it is ereader time. I am looking at one of the top kobo models because the Toronto library says it works with kobo but not kindle.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
After last winter in the DR with little to read and nothing of interest left in our library, it is ereader time. I am looking at one of the top kobo models because the Toronto library says it works with kobo but not kindle.

Like many of you, I prefer to use a Kindle or other e-reader instead of carting heavy books in luggage.

My home library offers books in Kindle format or in e-pub and also (for some older titles) as pdf e-books. Is the Kobo format e-pub? I have my Kindle set up to read pdf as well as, via the Overload app, e-pub.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The format makes no difference.

The Calibre freeware converts books from any format to any of 18 formats with .docx, .pdf, .epub and .mobi being the most popular.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
An e-reader is an acquired taste. I used to have huge stacks of books on horizontal surfaces everywhere, especially nightstands. There is something about holding a book in one's hands.

But it didn't take long, like just a few pages, to get hooked on books in an e-reader.

I keep book files, which are generally small, safely stored just in case my Kindle fails. Amazon has backups of the books you purchase from them, but not books you install yourself. If you get a new Kindle, Amazon will download your library. The others you have to do yourself via USB.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Like many of you, I prefer to use a Kindle or other e-reader instead of carting heavy books in luggage.

My home library offers books in Kindle format or in e-pub and also (for some older titles) as pdf e-books. Is the Kobo format e-pub? I have my Kindle set up to read pdf as well as, via the Overload app, e-pub.

My library's website (Toronto) says the only Kindle that is works with is the Kindle Fire. I want something easy so will go with their recommendation. I have several books on my Samsung Tab S android tablet but think an ereader would be better. Kobo is very popular in Canada.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Coming back to this thread to let anyone who is interested know that Amazon has the Paperwhite for $89.99 right now, for Prime members. Amazing deal. I paid $119.00, and love mine.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....when I went online to buy a paperwhite at amazon... I saw the fire 7 . and bought 2 of those at $34 a pop. love them..... before I flew back to the DR last month......I gave all my hard cover books to the lending library at the local coffee shop, would drop off a arm load most mornings...then drink a latte as the customers would grab every one, many leather bound old ones.......Doc.....