Kindle Recommendation

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
For Amazon Prime members,one of the free Kindle First selections for December is Halsey St by Naima Coster a Dominican American family in Brooklyn. Looks like a good choice.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Paperwhite - you can read outdoors in the hammock on a sunny day - wear sunscreen. The battery goes on forever.
Just wish the bezels were smaller so more page could be seen

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For Amazon Prime members,one of the free Kindle First selections for December is Halsey St by Naima Coster a Dominican American family in Brooklyn. Looks like a good choice.

Thanks for the recommendation - I've ordered it :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I finished this book this morning, and gave it a 5* review on Goodreads.  Amazing first book, Ms Coster has a long career ahead of her.  It’s been a long time since a book affected me as this one did.  I was alternately the Brooklyn girl, Penelope, and I was her Dominican mother, Mirella. The character development was superb.

Highly recommend it.  

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I just finished it and found it brilliant for a first book. To DR1 readers it has many references to campo life, Santiago and Cabarete. There is even a Dick's Bakery reference. Her description of driving on Rte#5 shows she has obviously enjoyed the same sport we practice here!