Land transport blocked for 23 products from DR

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
there is much ado being made about the Haitian ban on Dominican products. what i have not heard is how much Haitian produce is sold in Dominican markets. i went to the latest Expo Cibao fair, where manufacturers and service providers display their wares. two years ago, there were exhibitors from Brazil, Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyana, Grenada, and a few other caribbean islands. this year, nobody came. i spoke to a person who exhibited two years ago, and the consensus was that theyw ere wasting time coming here, because it is impossible to break into the Dominican market. if that is the case, i see no reason why the DR should be distressed because another country refuses their products. gates swing both ways.

That is correct, DR heavily protects its market.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is correct, DR heavily protects its market.

that is one of the sticking points why Caricom has kept them at arms length, and will not accord them full membership. go to any supermarket in any city or town, and tell me how many products you see on the shelves from another caribbean territory.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
that is one of the sticking points why Caricom has kept them at arms length, and will not accord them full membership. go to any supermarket in any city or town, and tell me how many products you see on the shelves from another caribbean territory.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would DR import something that they can produce themselves?

Feb 7, 2007
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would DR import something that they can produce themselves?

well, they can, but with taxes, duties and transport most likely the price would be higher. But still, let the buyer chose! For example: I do not drink much Cola, but when I do, I prefer Pepsi. Iberia now imports some Spanish "house brand" cola which is even more expensive than Pepsi (but less expensive than Coca Cola). Why would I buy a Spanish import, when Pepsi is cheaper and I also prefer it for its taste?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
for the same reason that the USA makes vodka, but imports Smirnoff.

We're talking here about products from the Caribbean, not the rest of the world. Help me to understand what products are grown/made in the Caribbean that the DR doesn't have? Is there something so special somewhere else?

I do get the idea of competition and offering variety. I'm just looking at this from DR's point of view, not the consumer.

They would make tax money on imports, but it could/would hurt DR producers, is that why?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We're talking here about products from the Caribbean, not the rest of the world. Help me to understand what products are grown/made in the Caribbean that the DR doesn't have? Is there something so special somewhere else?

I do get the idea of competition and offering variety. I'm just looking at this from DR's point of view, not the consumer.

They would make tax money on imports, but it could/would hurt DR producers, is that why?

the issue here is that even though the DR and Haiti produce the same things, to a degree, there are certain items which are subject to trade, in these days of globalization. once you are a signatory to the WTO, then you have, de facto, relinquished your option to use protectionism as a development strategy. so, Haiti produses rum, and so does the DR. under the dictates of the WTO, you cannot simply forbid Haitian rum from entering the DR, because that is a violation of the spirit of the WTO treaties. that is not to say it is not done. Jamaica has imported Dominican cement in the past, with no issues. when Dominican businessmen wanted to import Jamaican cement, they held up the shipment on the wharf, claiming they needed results of tests to prove that the quality was acceptable to DR standards. it was a simple matter that the Jamaican cement was cheaper.

in the era of globalization, you cannot have it both ways. you cannot opt for export led development, and for protectionism, simultaneously.

May 5, 2007

"Clean" Jet A-1 fuel

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Haitian Import Ban Will Cost DR 500 Million per Year

Santo Domingo.- Dominican Exporters Association (Adoexpo) president Sadala Khoury on Monday warned that if Haiti?s ban on domestic products lasts one year, the country would lose out on around US$500.0 million in exports to that country.

He made the statement during a meeting with the World Bank over the Haitian government?s measure, which he called arbitrary, and will jeopardize the neighboring country?s consumers.

Khoury said that the World Bank will provide technical and financial assistance to promote exports to other countries such as Jamaica.

i fail to see how technical and financial assistance is going to open other markets to DR products. that is a political issue, nothing else.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/02/haiti-dominican-republic-trade-exports-or-exploits/

As far as I know the only things that Haiti could actually export here are Barbancourt Rum -- and I do not really see any rum from ANY other country here -

Comme il Faut cigarettes

Haitian matches - which are really more like fireworks as the tops usually fly off

and 911 which is an energy drink -

(there is periodically a truckload of garlic from Haiti which is stopped and confiscated - Dominicans say it comes from China - but it is prohibited anyway)

As far as I know - the only think that is actually traded with Haiti is the used clothing (pepe) and various used kitchen equipment - manufacturers overruns -- stuff that is essentially dumped on Haiti . Plus the US RICE - which is supposed to be contraband on the border as well - this comes into Haiti at a 3% tarriff..

I am not sure what the DR CAFTA tarriff on US rice is ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/02/haiti-dominican-republic-trade-exports-or-exploits/

As far as I know the only things that Haiti could actually export here are Barbancourt Rum -- and I do not really see any rum from ANY other country here -

Comme il Faut cigarettes

Haitian matches - which are really more like fireworks as the tops usually fly off

and 911 which is an energy drink -

(there is periodically a truckload of garlic from Haiti which is stopped and confiscated - Dominicans say it comes from China - but it is prohibited anyway)

As far as I know - the only think that is actually traded with Haiti is the used clothing (pepe) and various used kitchen equipment - manufacturers overruns -- stuff that is essentially dumped on Haiti . Plus the US RICE - which is supposed to be contraband on the border as well - this comes into Haiti at a 3% tarriff..

I am not sure what the DR CAFTA tarriff on US rice is ?

it is not just rum. i have never seen any product from Jamaica on any supermarket shelf here. i fail to see how these guys would believe that Jamaica is going to import anything from them.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
They have not needed any other country with Haiti and the US - and the US is evidently primarily the FTZ. I do not know why it is that the DR does not make an effort to export more -- maybe they will. Certainly there is a market in Puerto Rico which gets most of its veggies from the US - well all except Yucca and Plantain -- but most of the rest comes from California. It would seem with DR CAFTA that DR veggies would be competitive (although I guess veggies are not a big export item since they spoil --)

and lots of the stuff on the list is already imported here - I mean all the flour stuff is imported, right? Pasta and all that?

So Haiti can develop its own import businesses for rebar and the like.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Haitians are their own worst enemy. I am starting to have very little sympathy for these people.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Dominican Industries want Haiti trade issue ?snatched? from politicos

- Dominican Republic?s Herrera and Santo Domingo Province Industries Association (AEIH) on Sunday proposed that Haitian and Dominican business leaders "snatch" the issue of trade relations from Hispaniola?s politicians, noting that the political agenda - sometimes based personal or sector interests- has deeply harmed the flow of trade between the two nations.

AEIH president Antonio Taveras said the current relations affect productive sectors on both sides of the island, especially Haiti?s most vulnerable population, which he affirms suffers from limited access to staples and increasing restrictions.

He urged Dominican business leaders to initiate rapprochement with Haitian counterparts to establish joint business strategies and in turn depoliticize trade.

"It?s time Dominican business leaders to begin to approach the Haitian entrepreneur community with more vigor and more firmness in seeking to snatch the topic of bilateral trade relations from the hands of politicians," Taveras said.

"It is time for a concerted effort to deal on the basis of legality the vagaries of our business relationships, frequently affected by political situations and interest groups that are not the genuine interests of both peoples, people who ultimately are the most affected by arbitrary business decisions."

He said trade relations and the two countries should bolster Haitian and Dominican entrepreneurs and the citizenship " and must be put above politics and we have to do it with courage and dedication."

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Haiti - Economy : Haiti again banana exporter
14/09/2015 11:27:49

Tuesday, September 8, in Cap Haitien, a year after the planting of the first seedlings of the AGRITRANS company http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-12257-haiti-agriculture-$27m-for-the-production-of-bananas-for-export.html , a cargo ship from Germany came to take delivery of the first Haitian organic banana cargo. 100 tonnes of bananas (about 8,000 a cargo ship from Germany came to take delivery of the first Haitian organic banana cargo. 100 tonnes of bananas (about 8,000 banana bunches) have been loaded after undergoing quality control from German experts sent on site, before taking the sea to Germany.

AGRITRANS can now be optimistic by having raised its first challenge, to enter the European market. The Haitian company predicts that by 2017, 450 banana containers will be shipped each week to the European market.

The project, established in the commune of Trou-du-Nord, brings together more than 3,000 farmers from various associations and aims the production of organic bananas for export. 2 million seedlings will be planted over a thousand hectares, as part of this initiative. To achieve its objectives, the FEPA/Agritrans consortium has modern agricultural equipment, pumps for irrigation, an artificial lake with a capacity of 700.000 gallons and plans to create about 3,000 jobs.

The Haitian Government, through the Industrial Development Fund (IDF), has put six million US dollars available to the promoter of this innovative and ambitious project, whose total cost amounts to $ 27 million. In order to allow Agritrans SA to strengthen, an additional $15 million will be advanced to him.

Note that the businessman, Jovenel Moise the former CEO of AGRITRANS created the surprise by becoming a candidate for the presidency of Haiti under the banner of PHTK. He has been replaced as head of the company by Pierre Richard-Joseph.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Haiti - Economy : Haiti again banana exporter
14/09/2015 11:27:49

Tuesday, September 8, in Cap Haitien, a year after the planting of the first seedlings of the AGRITRANS company http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-12257-haiti-agriculture-$27m-for-the-production-of-bananas-for-export.html , a cargo ship from Germany came to take delivery of the first Haitian organic banana cargo. 100 tonnes of bananas (about 8,000 a cargo ship from Germany came to take delivery of the first Haitian organic banana cargo. 100 tonnes of bananas (about 8,000 banana bunches) have been loaded after undergoing quality control from German experts sent on site, before taking the sea to Germany.

AGRITRANS can now be optimistic by having raised its first challenge, to enter the European market. The Haitian company predicts that by 2017, 450 banana containers will be shipped each week to the European market.

The project, established in the commune of Trou-du-Nord, brings together more than 3,000 farmers from various associations and aims the production of organic bananas for export. 2 million seedlings will be planted over a thousand hectares, as part of this initiative. To achieve its objectives, the FEPA/Agritrans consortium has modern agricultural equipment, pumps for irrigation, an artificial lake with a capacity of 700.000 gallons and plans to create about 3,000 jobs.

The Haitian Government, through the Industrial Development Fund (IDF), has put six million US dollars available to the promoter of this innovative and ambitious project, whose total cost amounts to $ 27 million. In order to allow Agritrans SA to strengthen, an additional $15 million will be advanced to him.

Note that the businessman, Jovenel Moise the former CEO of AGRITRANS created the surprise by becoming a candidate for the presidency of Haiti under the banner of PHTK. He has been replaced as head of the company by Pierre Richard-Joseph.

Pretty expensive bananas. I wonder how much their costs differ from what amount was required on their business model vs reality..

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Haiti import ban to cost millions

When the DR supreme court ruled 300,000 people were no longer citizens. There was condemnation issued by many in the region and the UN. If their admonishing the DR was a sincere act of morality. Where is the same condemnation for Haiti banning products which will increase poverty. The US should reduce financial assistance to Haiti, until the Haiti government comes back to reality. This is why people have little to no faith in MOST, 99%, of government in Haiti especially.

The leader of Haiti claimed during his candidacy, he possessed business skills from working in the music profession. Is there a competition to implement the most dysfunctional idea and cry foul on the outcome?

When Cuba has increase tourism traffic and the DR ramps up to compete with the challenge. It will present less incentive to select Haiti as a tourist destination. The DR, Jamaica and soon Cuba, are in the top tier of tourism and countries with potential to develop further.

Haiti will continue to stand still or develop at an imperceivable slow rate. Because of themselves and not the usual international interference of NGOs.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Bilateral Economic Relations

Since 2011, the Haitian Government has emphasized encouraging foreign investment and developing private-led market-based economic growth. Haiti encourages the inflow of new capital and technological innovations and has stated a commitment to improve the business environment and attract foreign investors. Its Center of Investment Facilitation (CFI) aims to facilitate and promote investment in the local economy by reducing administrative delays, streamlining the creation of enterprises, and facilitating the provision of inducements. Private investment set a ten-year high in 2013, outpacing foreign assistance spending in Haiti by more than 100 percent. However, overall costs to start a new business in Haiti remain high and access to credit as well as structures for investor protection are still insufficient. The United States and Haiti have a bilateral agreement on investment guarantees that permits the U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corporation to offer programs in Haiti.

The United States is Haiti's largest trading partner. A growing number of U.S. firms have operations in Haiti, including commercial banks, airlines, oil and agribusiness companies, and U.S.-owned assembly plants. Opportunities for U.S. businesses in Haiti include light manufacturing, in particular textile and clothing production; the development and trade of raw and processed agricultural products; medical supplies and equipment; building and modernizing Haiti's infrastructure; developing tourism and allied sectors such as arts and crafts; and improving capacity in waste disposal, transportation, energy, telecommunications, and export assembly operations.

Meaningful poverty reduction in Haiti will depend on job creation through economic activity and foreign investment. Toward that end, the United States promotes needed reforms in Haiti to make it easier and more predictable for businesses to operate and to create the kind of stable environment needed for investors.

Additional information on business opportunities in Haiti can be found at www.export.gov under opportunities, market research, Country Commercial Guides.

U.S. Trade Preferences for Haiti
Both Haitian and American importers and exporters can benefit under the Caribbean Basin Trade Partnership Act ? the successor program of the Caribbean Basin Initiative ? that provides for duty-free export of many Haitian products assembled from U.S. components or materials. The 2008 Haitian Hemispheric Opportunity Through Partnership Encouragement (HOPE II) Act and the 2010 Haiti Economic Lift Program (HELP legislation) provide duty-free preferences for certain light-manufacturing products produced in Haiti, in particular textile and apparel products. Haitian textile and garment factories eligible for duty-free entry into the United States under HOPE II and HELP must comply with international core labor standards and Haitian labor law. The HOPE and HELP Acts have been instrumental in the redevelopment of Haiti?s apparel industry which accounted for some 90 percent of national export earnings and provides approximately 30,000 jobs (2013).

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/1982.htm

Note the repetition of "investment IN Haiti"

That is the US policy. And that is what is happening - both US and other foreign companies are opening up businesses in Haiti.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_substitution_industrialization