Las Terrenas Fishermans Village - rebuilding.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Any efforts to make the centre of LT a traffic free zone would get my strongest opposition. I cannot walk far without pain so tell me how do I do my weekly shop (not all in one place) without the car?s boot/trunk?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Who knows - someone with government connections could find out how the finance is being worked out. Guess the oringinal lesses or owners were not insured. Land rights would presumably depend on how and when the changes in rights to land near the ocean was carried out after the law was passed that gave those rights to the government. Was compensation paid etc.
lapask1

So the gov't funded this whole thing? It looks great.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Vacant Gold Mines

... it s completely empty inside....

Maybe because the new owner (Ministry of Tourism) wants rents of 50,000 - 60,000 RD$/month... :rolleyes:
But I am sure some entrepreneurs will take the bait believing what a goldmine they would get so cheap. :bunny:

The other possibility is, that some well-connected 'fulanos' move in as tenants who may not be obliged to pay the going rates..... :rolleyes:

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
40,000 ! :dead:
I tought the former owners/tenants were just going to move back in. I am so naive ;)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rumour Rent

40,000 ! :dead:
I tought the former owners/tenants were just going to move back in.

This could also be the case, if they accept to pay the rent.
The rumours about the amounts have a very wide range and were reported in/on LT7, Info Diario, local radio station Terra FM 95.5 MHz (Delvis Santos).

donP

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
Some snaps of the work on the new Fishermans Village in Las Terrenas as of 25/7/2012....
Views from the beachside:
P10000222-1.jpg

...yapask1.

Sorry for a late, off-topic question, but I've got to ask: What kind of wood is used in the construction above? It appears that the construction will have the loadbearing supports in contact with soil. Any problems with that?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Headaches Ahead

Sorry for a late, off-topic question, but I've got to ask: What kind of wood is used in the construction above? It appears that the construction will have the loadbearing supports in contact with soil. Any problems with that?

From
http://www.dr1.com/forums/real-estate/126679-opinion-re-market-sea-front-condos-4.html
Post # 40:

We were there this morning.
All restaurant places are empty.
IMO, the allurement and atmosphere of the former 'fishermen's village' is gone, the place has the coziness of a morgue...
This may get better once renters are found who will decorate their rooms (and pay between 50,000 and 70,000RD$/month as rumours have it).
I cannot imagine that this place will again have the life it had before the fire.
For all the restaurants there are 2 toilets (2x2)...

Because of a heavy downpour we had to stay 15 minutes inside the buildings.
After a few minutes I got a strong headache... the floors, the roofs' understructure, really everything is made of 'pino tratado'.... :paranoid:

donP

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The first occupants have signed a lease and others will follow. Check out lasterrenaslive.com for accurate info. Nothing happens in LT until the end of Dec and that's when the restaurant people will be ready.

LTSteve

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dining on the Terrace

... Nothing happens in LT until the end of Dec and that's when the restaurant people will be ready.

Things happen in November, too. :cheeky:

fundacinarena.jpg

fischerzeilehohl.jpg

Matthew 7: 26, 27
"Every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

donP

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Great Bible quote!!! Good job, right on the money!!!
:)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Safe for Dinner?

Good job, right on the money!!! :)

I found the photos on FB, and the credit for having taken them goes to Sr. Tactuk spelling?).
I'll have a look at the damage myself next week and then decide whether it is a risk to have a sundowner (or a sanddowner) on the terrace.... :cross-eye

donP

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
so who owns these buiildings and collects the rent?

That's a local scandal. The restauranteurs who were burned out thought they owned the buildings and probably paid dearly for them. One of them was for sale before the fire for six figures.

When the ministry of tourism swooped in with promises to rebuild, it was determined that the original fishermen's shacks were on public beach property. New tenants in los pescadores will pay rent to the government. As far as I know, the original "owners" were not compensated.

I heard One Love Surf Shack will be moving into one of the buildings, which will at least add a little character to the development.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Squat should know.

Where is that water coming from ?
From the rio on the side ? Can't be the sea...Confused

It is true, the fishermen's village is just a few metres (to the west) from the river's mouth.
But I doubt that the river's outflow raised the level of the sea... :rolleyes:

IMO, it was the strong northerly winds in recent weeks which brought relatively high waves that deteriorated the beach and thus washed out the "foundation".

The beaches suffered quite a bit in other places as well and I wonder what Punta Bonita looks like now...

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
SET BACK at Fisherman's Village

High winds and high tide have washed out much of the sand foundation which anchored the new decks on the ocean side of the rebuilt Fisherman's Village. This is very problematic for the restaurant and bar owners who were supposed to open at the end of this month and in to December. Engineers will have to figure out how the re-enforce the foundations for this part of the new structure. A very disappointing set back. Mother nature is at it again and shows her force. It is going to be a high priority for Las Terrenas and the DR Tourism Minister to get at this as soon as practical.

LTSteve