Las Terrenas Fishermans Village - rebuilding.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Commemorative Plaque

That fisherman village seems to be cursed

Hmm, was it not the wisdom of Dr. Leonel Fern?ndez to permit (by presidential decree) the reconstruction within the 60m zone? ;)

Afterwards things had to be done in haste.
Dr. Fern?ndez was eager to inaugurate the new buildings before his term ended.

A plaque in his honour can (still) be seen at the eastern entrance of the doomed "village" (unless scrap dealers or the waves have not taken it with them).

donP

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It is true, the fishermen's village is just a few metres (to the west) from the river's mouth.
But I doubt that the river's outflow raised the level of the sea... :rolleyes:

IMO, it was the strong northerly winds in recent weeks which brought relatively high waves that deteriorated the beach and thus washed out the "foundation".

The beaches suffered quite a bit in other places as well and I wonder what Punta Bonita looks like now...

donP

We all commented on the wind direction in another thread on weather - during the aftermath of Sandy.

LT is normally leeward, isn't it? Protected from the prevailing winds from the east....

The largest waves of Sandy came from the west and north - at least did so in Cabrera.
That would smack LT right on the kisser.....

Is that what happened to the footings??

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Mess

Is all of LT a mess or just the new bars?

What new bars? :rolleyes:

The water came and went.
Damage was done (as seen in the pics above) and at some shops in town (flooded with water + mud from the river).
Otherwise all is back to normal.
You'll be fine at Alisei.

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Oh great. I just booked 5 rooms at Alisei for mid december. Bringing my team in for some training, planning and team building.Is all of LT a mess or just the new bars?

El Thalassa (a restaurant) is 2 steps away from the Alisei, they throw parties on selected nights and it's on the beach ! Check it out !

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
What new bars? :rolleyes:

The water came and went.
Damage was done (as seen in the pics above) and at some shops in town (flooded with water + mud from the river).
Otherwise all is back to normal.
You'll be fine at Alisei.

donP

I take it that means the newly constructed bars in pueblo de pescadoras never opened? lol. I used to dig having a few beers in mosquitos and there was a newer place that played more american rock that I also dug.