Las Terrenas riots ???

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
To add, the beach facilities that appear to be affected are, I believe, expat owned. And the locally owned established beach shacks behind the cemetery, which are a long way from the referred zone, are not affected, based upon the local news story.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
From what I read and posted earlier from Infos Diarios, it would appear that Mojitos is affected being in the zone mentioned. That would be a loss. It is a well set up establishment and probably the best sundowner place in LT.

Unfortunately the beach is eroding all along that stretch and the idea of a sea wall probably makes sense from and environmental perspective. And they could also widen the very narrow road leading out to Portillo.

We are not talking about beach shacks by the way and not Fishermans Village here. It is a LT local issue.

Mojito was destroyed by Irma since the restaurant was practically sitting on the water.

I love Mojitos too, the owners are very nice, and love the music they play (Funk and good house music).

sdelpc.jpg

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Mojito was destroyed by Irma since the restaurant was practically sitting on the water.

I love Mojitos too, the owners are very nice, and love the music they play (Funk and good house music).

sdelpc.jpg

Well I guess the other few and it is only a few in the referred area also suffered damage. So why the fuss if it was a long term objective of the town council.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Didn't they just build a new stretch of restaurants after a burnout ??

Not these ones they're closing is it ??

No. These are where the original fisherman's village stood and were re-built by the government after they burned a few years ago. The places they are talking about is on the other side of town.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Basically the whole stretch from Punta Poppy to the cemetery was cleared, by force.

Some structures were unsafe, some were fine, but all were cleared. Things got a little interesting when they reached the taxi rank and I believe this is where some shots were exchanged. The taxi rank has since been relocated and is next to the cemetery.

They stopped before the fishermans market in front of the cemetery.

Following the 'clearing', there was a little bit of disturbance in town, but to be honest that was all cleared up by early evening.

The other side of the beach (cemetery to Las Ballenas) seems untouched and by all accounts there are no plans to take action on this side. Pueblo Pescadores at the start of this stretch is owned by Tourism.

There seems to be little reason to what happened unless the thought is that these businesses now restricted access at the beach. If that is the case, IMHO, then nobody is safe if a beach is eroding. The businesses impacted were built when there was plenty of beach in front of them and the erosion that has occurred is natural and not an effect of these businesses.

Roy

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Aren't most of the businesses from the cemetery to Ballenas operated by the hotels along the beach behind them? Were those that were taken down on the other side of the beach operated by locals? No point here, just asking.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They have been threatening to do that in Sousa for some time. Propose building one structure for all the different restaurants, like a fu**ing food court in a mall.
I hope that day never comes!

That thought literally sends chills up my spine ... Like if I were in a Coma, and came back and everything was all messed up..
that is a Horrible Idea..
What evil mind would even think this type of setup, is what People Fly to the Beaches of the DR for ??

I want my feet in the sand, Presidente in a cup, and my Pescado Frito with tostones or Fries on a Plate and a little tomato and lettuce, brought to me... while i enjoy it and make crumbs all over my BELLY as I look at Sosua Bay with a smile on my face.. escaping work for a whole week.. if I am lucky.
.. How freeking hard is that to understand ?
If I want a sterilized Mall Food Court, i will stay my arse in New jersey.

sorry for rant.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
That thought literally sends chills up my spine ... Like if I were in a Coma, and came back and everything was all messed up..
that is a Horrible Idea..
What evil mind would even think this type of setup, is what People Fly to the Beaches of the DR for ??

I want my feet in the sand, Presidente in a cup, and my Pescado Frito with tostones or Fries on a Plate and a little tomato and lettuce, brought to me... while i enjoy it and make crumbs all over my BELLY as I look at Sosua Bay with a smile on my face.. escaping work for a whole week.. if I am lucky.
.. How freeking hard is that to understand ?
If I want a sterilized Mall Food Court, i will stay my arse in New jersey.

sorry for rant.

Beer in a cup? WTF! You must be american....

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I doubt it since Chez Sandro is not associated with any hotel.
Sandro's does (or it used to) have rental units, short & long term attached to it just behind the parking and the real restaurant.  Not exactly a hotel but accommodations non the less.  

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
They were all associated with a hotel on the road side, yes. Except Mohitos I think.

There were not so many places in reality on this stretch less than double figures and by the looks of things they had been storm damaged along a section of beach that was eroding away. I always noted how the beach in front of the Albachiara kept collapsing into the sea. The taxi stand had it's own small beach bar behind as I recall. I'm guessing maybe six places? For me only Mojitos will be missed. I don't play boules and anyhow there is another place on Ballenas.

Fuss all about nothing.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
So what are folks rioting about?

The scenes posted in the OP are so very common all around DR over small local issues.

Did this make national press? At best a local issue as explained in an article in the local rag.

Taxi drivers do like their place to hang out and it went apparently.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Once someone with big money wants the beach to be private and charge admission or for a hotel, and that would be the end of tourism in Sosua

I dont think something that extreme is going to happen in our lifetimes ... there would be massive Riots and Tire Burning..
Will they Mess with the Beach vendors and Restaurant , bars.. yes ... takeover the whole beach ?? nah.. i dont think so.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look at Playa Grande beach....

Still very much public despite some heavy swag in the area.
There are many ways to skin a cat....and leave the skin on