Leg prosthetist needed.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Ringo....this post has brought together so many great people with offers of help for Ramon...and may the generosity continue.
Amado is being very brave for his friend and the community are wonderful.
I hope that out of this sadness will come happiness and a truly fulfilled life for a very brave young man
I am sure that like me everyone on here will follow your updates
well done to you and your wife for your tireless efforts on Ramons behalf

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Yes. Please do. Ramon will wear out everything over his years. I'd be pleased to meet you at POP and take you to your destination and Ramon gets the crutches.

Send me a PM as to your name, flight, dates and times. And where I can take you.

Thank you.

Ok I will bring them. I will be in Costambar and already have a ride to my new 'home'. Will PM and arrange for delivery or pick up.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good Morning! I'm still on my first cup O coffee and it takes at least 2 to get my head in gear so I'm not going to write anything other then...

Thank you.

I'll get back to you all later after I talk with Amado.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
How is Ramon doing and Amado and the rest of the family. Any way we can help let me know God Bless and it is so heartwarming to know there are people and a town like you!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OK. I have re-read up but not going to answer each one individually. Thanks for anything and the support both posted and in PMs. Anything that you think Ramon will need will be appreciated.

Amado arrived this morning looking rested, big smile and a thank you for a day off. He said that it was very difficult sleeping on the hard hospital floor. We talked about the new issues due to the loss of the whole leg and some of what I've learned in research and from some of you that it is not just the body but his mental health that has to be cared for.

People are out looking for wheelchairs and crutches. They found a new rehab place in POP that is well equipped and free. The transporting back and forth has been worked out. They are starting to look at his home to put in ramps and hand rail supports.

A local TV station ?? ran a spot yesterday and raised D.P $35,000.

My wife and I are still researching and learning so we have a solid back-up plan if needed. It will take some time before Ramon can be fitted for the leg and then getting that and more rehab.

Amado asked if we would go and visit Ramon. I said, "no". He has to come visit us, that will be part of his rehab. :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Amado and I had a long talk this afternoon. I showed him some things that I had been looking at and some examples of bathroom supports. He was intrigued.

Ahhhh. They have an outhouse and bath outside from a small plastic tub. We talked about what could be done. He understands and I know that he will get things done.

The wheelchair had lots of good things that he understood also. I told him that if they found ANY that they take it. We can do some parts adjusting later. It looks like they don't make that wheelchair anymore so I have something more to research and finding prices much higher.

orgulloso. As we finished our conversation I had to look this word up. I showed it to Amado and with a BIG smile pointed and said it to me that he was "orgulloso" of me. NO... I responded; "I am orgulloso of you.""But.... he is my friend." as if that was all that was need to be said. And it was.

Orgulloso = I am proud....

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I have nothing to report. Amado has the weekends off for school and for himself. Just fine with me.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hello everyone. Amado is in good spirits today.

Ramon is doing well with his healing and is not using a lot of drugs for pain. He is also in good spirits. I'm sure that the caring from his community has had a huge impact on his mental health.

They found a used wheelchair that they are taking apart and fixing. They will let me know what new parts are needed or need to be upgraded. Still looking for crutches. Amado and others put a ramp in at the house and made some other adjustments this weekend. The outhouse will need to be torn down and a new one built so that's in the planning stage.

:)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good evening and .... WooooowA! Or is that WoW!

I've been told that Ramon may be leaving the hospital in about a week. That IS wonderful news but I went over a few things with Amado and he did the self head slap.

Did he measure the doors to be sure that the wheelchair will go thru? Head slap.

Did anyone think of an overhead lift strap over his bed? Head slap.

Since he can not use the outhouse as it is, what plans are in place? Head slap.

It is a wood house and I told him to grab my sawzall and other stuff to help move things along if needed. We also have a rolling office chair that he can give Ramon.

Poor Amado... left with a headache and a smile at the same time. :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Thanks DJ. My FIL, a double leg amputee, had lots of things so he had a normal life. So I learned when visiting him. But they had money. May father also needed some assisting items that I installed for him, very much as you show.

I've been going over things and showing Amado photos from the net and he gets it but unless you have first hand seeing it is difficult to comprehend the whole situation from the amputees point of view. And at this TIME, Ramon does not understand those challenges.

Ramon's community is united and we stay in the background with our backup plans but we are committed to the best of our ability to get him a leg.

While looking at different suggestions, a couple of days ago, that you all have given, Amado saw the support from DR1.

Amado told Ramon and the word got out. Others care too.

THEY THANK YOU!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ramon is going home today!

I learned that Ramon is married and they have an "adopted" 4 year old daughter. They live in a 1 room house of about 11 square meters. Outhouse/bath in back. The front door is not wide enough for the wheelchair so they will be working on that along with the outhouse situation. I have some photos that Amado brought to me but I'm having trouble with them. (my new puter.)

Here is a link with photos taken shortly after the amputation. You can also see the new scare for internal surgery.

Warning: Some people may find the photos difficult to look at.

CONTINUA EN ESTADO CRITICO JOVEN QUE EL PASADO VIERNES FUERA INVESTIDO POR EL CONDUCTOR DE UN CARRO EN ESTADO DE EMBRIAGUEZ EN SABANETA DE YASICA

We will soon learn what else is needed and that they are doing. The fitting for a new leg can not be done for some time.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good Morning! Amado came to work, did a couple of things, grabbed some of my power tools and left. Good for him.

Ramon had a difficult night in his own house. The tin roof makes it like an oven and not being able to get out of bed he had no choice but to sweat. Not good for any of his wounds. No electricity either so no fan.

So today they are putting in a plywood ceiling and cutting out roof vents. A small inverter is being installed to keep the fan going. All the labor is being done by the community.

I asked where did they get the money for materials? People from all around have donated and they have over $50,000 pesos.

Ramon home less then 1 day and they are already working at problem solving and doing. :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ram?n es mi amigo. Soy Amado

I've talked with Robert and AE about letting Ramon post about his life and community in Spanish. We hope that by them sharing how a small and poor Dominican Community works and as part of what we hope to gain a different view of some of the Dominican people. We hope that this also helps Ramon heal.

Ramon nor Amado have internet, so we will try this experiment from my house written by Amado and using Google translator so some things just will not make sense.

We thank Robert and AE for your go-ahead and support.

Comments and questions are welcome and Amado will get back to you when he can.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------

ramon luego de salir del hospital con varias dificultades se encuentra con una comunidad alegre de verle con vida, y a la vez adolorida por el duro golpe de ver a ramon de esta forma. la personas con deceos de solidarizar crearon una pequena comicion para recaudar fondos logranron obtener aprocimada mente 700 dolares que fue de mucha ayuda ya que con esto se pudo realizar diversos reparacion a la pequenita casa de ramon como un nuevo techo para el inmenso calor un inbersor para poder tener electricidad 24 horas las personas de la comunidad estuvieron en cada unas de las actividades que se realizaron . el agradecimiento de ramon es notable hacia sus vecinos, y de su esposa tambien , pero se le ve una notable tristesa en su rostro, constante mente el me hace preguntas a solas como que voy hacer haora de que voy a mantener mi esposa como me van ha ver las demas personas, estollevo a la comunidad a buscar personas con la misma discapacidad para darle palabras de aliento el siempre escucha y calla y su esposa por igual y el siempre dice tengo fe en dios que me ayudara a salir de esto, la contante vicitas de todos sus vecinos es incesables esto a ayudado mucho a que ramon accepte su realidad y el animo que le da su madre es impensable dia y noche siempre a su lado ya que ramon a presentado casos que deprecion, pero con dios por delante y la ayuda de las personas haremos que ramon tenga una mejor vida

ramon after leaving the hospital with several difficulties with a community is happy to see him alive, while painful blow by ramon to see this. the people with Headboard to show solidarity created a small fundraising comicion logranron get $ 700 aprocimada mind that was very helpful because with this repair could be performed at various home Wee ramon a new roof for the immense heat for one inbersor to have electricity 24 hours community people were in each one of the activities that took place. ramon's appreciation is remarkable to its neighbors, and his wife too, but she seems a remarkable sadness on his face, mind constantly asks me questions like I'm alone haora do that I will keep my wife as I go has to see the other people, the community estollevo to find people with the same disability to give words of encouragement he always listens and is silent and his wife equally and always says I have faith in God to help me out of this, the constant vicitas of all its neighbors is ceaseless much this has helped to ramon accepte your reality and encouragement that gives his mother is unthinkable day and night always at your side as to ramon deprecion presented cases, but with God in front and the will help people to have a better life ramon

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I have a lead on a used foldable wheelchair at a price I can afford. I could buy it and bring it along with the crutches in Sept if still needed. Will go check it this weekend.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I have a lead on a used foldable wheelchair at a price I can afford. I could buy it and bring it along with the crutches in Sept if still needed. Will go check it this weekend.

That is more then kind and generous of you artistdani. Ramon will need crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, gloves, medication and whatever for the next 50 years or so. Things wear out and need to be fixed or replaced. I read that a good wheelchair lasts for about 5 years if taken care of and used under good conditions; such as nice sidewalks and streets with ramps.

Streets of sand, rocks and rough wheeling greatly reduce the real time that the item works. Our climate eats things up also.

I'll leave it up to you. Expense plus the extra time and work to bring items will add to your travel experience so what ever you decide is fine. As well as what others have offered. I'm sure that Ramon, his wife and community would be very grateful and of course, me too. We will find places to store extra items and fix them as best we can.

Amado talked about the man that was missing his leg that visited Ramon yesterday. He was an inspiration. He was using only a walker and Amado, in his own way planted the idea in my head. I've been looking at Amazon for some good ideas and sent the list to my wife for her approval. She just said everything is ordered and all for under US $100. (she gets the "prime" discounts.) Shipped to our Miami shipper then to us.

Walker.
2 pairs of wheelchair gloves. Large and X large. ?
Crutches, med. adult.
Crutch pads.
Reach extender. A 30" long device that can grab things that are out of reach from a wheelchair.

We look at this as being a basic starter kit and as Ramon starts to get up and moving in a couple of weeks we will learn what works and what doesn't and adjust. We are holding off on the wheelchair since they have one.

AGAIN. IF you have something to donate, don't hesitate. It will go to Ramon in the future or to someone else in need.

Thank you.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Very well done to Amondo for his first post....lets keep them coming as I feel sure many of us wish to follow Ramons progress

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Very well done to Amondo for his first post....lets keep them coming as I feel sure many of us wish to follow Ramons progress

Amado was very nervous. English key board. Never anything close to this, writing on a gringo/english forum. He's not sure what to say or how to say it. I'm giving him very little guidance and trying NOT to stand over him. It took him an hour to write what he did. I've never seen him so... unsure of himself before. Another learning opportunity? Yet? We are like father/son and share one on one with little problems.

Thanks for your support. Let's see how this develops with Amado. I'll bet that he gets better but Google translator won't. LOL

Apr 13, 2011
I hope Amado does write more. It is interesting to hear his perspective.
And he will learn from it.
The first thing to suggest is that after each comment (the equivalent of a sentence) to hit the Enter button - it will help with the Google translation some. Later you can help with Caps and Periods in sentences to break up his thoughts and comments - but one step at a time.
Keep his confidence up - and tell we want to know more from his point of view - and we continue to wish Ramon the best.