"Little Jamaica" in Boca Chica

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
if you say that Dominican empanadas are the best, then you have never had a good Jamaican patty. people might say that i am biased, but you cannot compare a baked empanada with a fried one. in the first place, you cannot reheat a fried empanada the next day. it would spit grease like a walrus.

Dominican baked empanadas are the best! I grew up eating golden krust beef patties (jamaica ny)with 12 different ingedients like calla lou? Chicken, shrimp, veggies etc.. i love it, but the taste of olives raisins beef hard boiled eggs and onions in a dominican empanada (pastelito baked) cant be duplicated. I think they are also called pastel de olla, and cuba n PR has there version too.

Dont get me started in the colombian style with the ultra crispy crust! But the DR version brings it home.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
On another note, jamaica and DR do eat similiar products like goat, chicken, but no pork. That european (spanish) element is missing. They also prepare and cook out just like DR. But the dining will be a niche market. The biggest hurdle is eating jamaican food by the beach, while listening to some bachata wouldnt feel the same.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominican baked empanadas are the best! I grew up eating golden krust beef patties (jamaica ny)with 12 different ingedients like calla lou? Chicken, shrimp, veggies etc.. i love it, but the taste of olives raisins beef hard boiled eggs and onions in a dominican empanada (pastelito baked) cant be duplicated. I think they are also called pastel de olla, and cuba n PR has there version too.

Dont get me started in the colombian style with the ultra crispy crust! But the DR version brings it home.

i have never had the empanadas you describe, and i have never seen one. i have seen baked empanadas in the DR, but they do not hold a candle to a Jamaican baked patty. i have to go search out one of those things, although i do not believe that beef and raisins belong in the same bite.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
On another note, jamaica and DR do eat similiar products like goat, chicken, but no pork. That european (spanish) element is missing. They also prepare and cook out just like DR. But the dining will be a niche market. The biggest hurdle is eating jamaican food by the beach, while listening to some bachata wouldnt feel the same.

jamaicans do eat pork. jerk pork was the first type of jerk that was popular.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Havent had jamaican jerk pork. Dominicans hells yes eat pork. Pernil chicharones and such, butt never seen a jamaican dish similiar to chicharones or pernil, guess i learned something new.
Gorgon, the ones i discribed are usually made at home, or where one will find in a dominican bakery . Search the goya cookbook. These empanadas are usually served as an appetizer , maybe after a funeral , or the holidays or some sort of dominican social gathering. Empanadas de horno, espanol style, chile makes it a similiar way.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well back in europe, my parents are very good friends with a couple, she is english, he is jamaican.
My wife raves over her cooking ( she IS very good ) and the ingredients.
Loads of similar stuff apparently. ( cant remember what that slimy green veg is called...... also fried yucca flour, flat thingys ).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well back in europe, my parents are very good friends with a couple, she is english, he is jamaican.
My wife raves over her cooking ( she IS very good ) and the ingredients.
Loads of similar stuff apparently. ( cant remember what that slimy green veg is called...... also fried yucca flour, flat thingys ).

you must be talking about okra and bammy.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
A while ago I made Jamaican fried dumplings, they were so good! Now I make it for my grandchildren
when they come over the weekend as they love to eat it with hot chocolate milk.

jamaican-festivals-7-448x336.jpg

Here is the recipe with step by step directions and pictures:

Jamaican Festivals – The Ultimate Fried Dumplings!*|*CaribbeanPot.com

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
fried dumplings are good...boiled ones no way hosea.... ive had really good italian food in (on)the beach in ja land...evan though it was made by scratch and we waited about an hour it was the best...of course i was dating a tourist lady and could of got one or two things wrong... rasta pasta....ya mon:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A while ago I made Jamaican fried dumplings, they were so good! Now I make it for my grandchildren
when they come over the weekend as they love to eat it with hot chocolate milk.

jamaican-festivals-7-448x336.jpg

Here is the recipe with step by step directions and pictures:

Jamaican Festivals – The Ultimate Fried Dumplings!*|*CaribbeanPot.com

i remember you posting the recipe before. those things are to die for. my friend will not be offering them, even though his are spectacular. his model is called the healthy alternative, and he will not be selling anything fried. he thinks Dominicans eat too much fried stuff without him piling on.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
fried dumplings are good...boiled ones no way hosea.... ive had really good italian food in (on)the beach in ja land...evan though it was made by scratch and we waited about an hour it was the best...of course i was dating a tourist lady and could of got one or two things wrong... rasta pasta....ya mon:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised

here?s your Italian Jamaican fusion restaurant, chic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH34KP5DH4Q

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
i remember you posting the recipe before. those things are to die for. my friend will not be offering them, even though his are spectacular. his model is called the healthy alternative, and he will not be selling anything fried. he thinks Dominicans eat too much fried stuff without him piling on.
Dumplings already exist in the DR, but not everywhere. You have to go where the Cocolos settled to find them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dumplings already exist in the DR, but not everywhere. You have to go where the Cocolos settled to find them.

actually, i have a friend from San Pedro de Macoris who makes a nice fried dumpling, called a johnny cake in Jamaica. i think she called hers a yanikeke, if i am not mistaken.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
actually, i have a friend from San Pedro de Macoris who makes a nice fried dumpling, called a johnny cake in Jamaica. i think she called hers a yanikeke, if i am not mistaken.

That is correct. Dominicans call it yaniqueques, I make it often too, love it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is correct. Dominicans call it yaniqueques, I make it often too, love it.

they are outrageous.

my friend in POP makes something i absolutely love. she slices breadfruit thinly, fries it, squashes it like a tostone, and fries it again. JUST LIKE IN JAMAICA!! when i see things like these, i have no doubt that Dominicans will receive Jamaican food , with gusto. the other reason is because i see how many Dominicans in NYC eat in Jamaican restaurants rather than in Dominican restaurants.

for Dominicans who might be wondering, the breadfruit is called buen pan in the DR.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
they are outrageous.

my friend in POP makes something i absolutely love. she slices breadfruit thinly, fries it, squashes it like a tostone, and fries it again. JUST LIKE IN JAMAICA!! when i see things like these, i have no doubt that Dominicans will receive Jamaican food , with gusto. the other reason is because i see how many Dominicans in NYC eat in Jamaican restaurants rather than in Dominican restaurants.

for Dominicans who might be wondering, the breadfruit is called buen pan in the DR.

I love fried breadfruit just like tostones especially when it's ripe. In Puerto Rico they are absolutely
crazy about breadfruit (pana)

In some campos in the DR it is often eaten peeled, sliced and boiled.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I love fried breadfruit just like tostones especially when it's ripe. In Puerto Rico they are absolutely
crazy about breadfruit (pana)

In some campos in the DR it is often eaten peeled, sliced and boiled.

it is great in soup. there is a huge tree in back of the barbershop i frequent. when it is in season, i have a ball.