"Little Jamaica" in Boca Chica

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
In about a week or so, 2 Jamaicans who have been living in Boca Chica for awhile now, James Palmer and Chef Brian Rattray are opening a new restaurant called "Little Jamaica".
The food that will be served will be authentic Jamaican cuisine such as curry goat/chicken, ox tail etc etc.
I've tried Brian's food before and I loved it!!!
The restaurant is located on Dominguez 21, a block away from the park and half a block from la Duarte.
More info and pics will follow.

I don't eat goat or oxtails but love me some good jerk chicken and pork. If they play reggae rather than bachata big plus, even though I dig bachata. Bigger plus would be red stripe, even though I dig presidente more.

Looked at location. Not bad but something about reggae and jerk chicken that almost requires a beach. Will do my best to support them so maybe a beach side move can be in near future!

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Never tried Jamaican Food, but I'm really looking forward to it!
BTW if they are still looking for a place, there is a empty spot were a Pizzeria was before on Calle Duarte, right on front of were Zanzibar used to be.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Never tried Jamaican Food, but I'm really looking forward to it!
BTW if they are still looking for a place, there is a empty spot were a Pizzeria was before on Calle Duarte, right on front of were Zanzibar used to be.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Taste-Caribbean-Rustie-Lee/dp/0954851854#reader_0954851854

Worth getting Rustie's book if you want to try authentic Caribbean food. Her Jamaican restaurant in Birmingham used to be a favorite in my earlier years. And what a woman.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Rustie Lee's Caribbean Cookbook (1985)

The original all Jamaican recipies

And a snippet of info..........beloved Queen Elizabeth 2 considers 'Ackee and Saltfish' as one of her favorite dishes....those ackees just melt in your mouth

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..................BTW if they are still looking for a place, there is a empty spot were a Pizzeria was before on Calle Duarte, right on front of were Zanzibar used to be.

I know the spot you talking about. Used to have good pizza there. That is an excellent location because the location the OP mentioned is out of the way. Unless you already knew of the restaurant you would never know is was on the little side street. Most tourists, regular and mongers, never venture much further than the little park.

Running a restaurant in Boca is tough enough, but when the masses are unaware of your existence it is that much harder.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Dominicans can tolerate spicy foods. It's HOT (hot peppers) foods they do not like. Or should I say the majority.

There are many Dominicans who do like hot food such as chivo picante. I myself looooove both
hot and spicy foods especially Jamaican and Indian cuisine.

Spicy and hot are two different things.

Why is the food here so bland compared to other Caribbean countries?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

because there are very few people here who know how to season food. sopita cubes and tomato sauce are the chief ingredients, and cilantro is a must. that makes pork taste like chicken, taste like beef, taste like fish, taste like....

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

Many find the food bland because other Carribbean countries use heavy or pungent spices and HOT
compared to the Dominican cuisine which is mild in flavor.

A person used to flavoring their foods with such pungent spices for instance curry will find Dominican
food lacking in flavor or bland.

Aug 6, 2006
Dominicans grow up with bland food and tend to dislike, well, flavor.
I know kids who consider onions too spicy and pick them out of the arroz.

The DR is the only place I know where there are people who like unspiced, unseasoned Tilapia.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

The DR is the only place I know where there are people who like unspiced, unseasoned Tilapia.

Show me a kid who likes onions.

On the contrary I am used to both Dominican and other cuisines where spices are heavily used
and still I do not consider Dominican food bland.

Dominicans do season their talapia with spices but the problem is that unless it is heavily spiced
like most other people from other islands in the Carribbean it's considered bland. Simply because
that is how they are used to eating. On the other hand Dominicans consider their food too heavily
spiced.(pungent) Or I should say the majority.

Aug 6, 2006
I was a kid who liked onions. I never liked pickles on hamburgers, but like them elsewhere.
There is a tendency among Dominicans, as some other Latinos, to cook an unfortunate fish into a charred crisp.
Tilapia has practically no flavor, and it tends to taste when charred in this way, rather like charcoal.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Every day we sell a couple of hundred ham and plantain (politos) Most of the kids ask for the hot sauce, which is a vinegar and pepper mix not unlike tabasco sauce. I'd rather have my food bland with the condiments to spice it up according to my taste requirements.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I was a kid who liked onions. I never liked pickles on hamburgers, but like them elsewhere.
There is a tendency among Dominicans, as some other Latinos, to cook an unfortunate fish into a charred crisp.
Tilapia has practically no flavor, and it tends to taste when charred in this way, rather like charcoal.

Yes, I do agree with you on the charred fish.(grilled)

But Talapia has such delicate meat that heavy spices is not required. I mostly cook mine with
a few sprigs of dill ( chopped), freshly ground black pepper ( a must!), garlic and gently saute
in butter.Then a good splash of lemon at the end to create a butter sauce! Yummo! You really taste the flavor of the fish!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Yes, I do agree with you on the charred fish.(grilled)

But Talapia has such delicate meat that heavy spices is not required. I mostly cook mine with
a few sprigs of dill ( chopped), freshly ground black pepper ( a must!), garlic and gently saute
in butter.Then a good splash of lemon at the end to create a butter sauce! Yummo! You really taste the flavor of the fish!

You just described tonight's dinner for me :classic:

Aug 6, 2006
If I want to taste a fish, I buy anything but talapia. Talapia is for me the ocean's answer to tofu. Scallops have a delicate flavor: tilapia is flavorless, though I suppose lemon, dill weed and pepper would improve it.