Living Costs in the Dominican Republic

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Maybe. 6000 - 8000 is the range I have seen in Las Terrenas for one person in a studio or 1 bed.
Quite nice and suitable for someone looking round for 6 months or so expecting to buy.

Yanandu.

Can someone clarify for me, is this as misleading as I think it is. Are one bedroomed apartments, nice, non native suitable, going for between 6000-8000 pesos in Las terrenas?
If so I think we all need to move there quick. I don't know Las Terrenas so have no clue. It sounds rather cheap to me though.

Clarification from someone please, someone on the same planet as me preferably.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Can someone clarify for me, is this as misleading as I think it is. Are one bedroomed apartments, nice, non native suitable, going for between 6000-8000 pesos in Las terrenas?
If so I think we all need to move there quick. I don't know Las Terrenas so have no clue. It sounds rather cheap to me though.

Clarification from someone please, someone on the same planet as me preferably.

Google Translate

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
A Swede rented an apartment in my block for 8000 recently. 250 metres from beach.
Another transaction I heard of was a little further from the beach for 6000.

Yanandu.

all is lost

Nov 18, 2006
living cost

Was renting a 3 bd rm house for 6k rd
decided to buy a house
4 bd rm 2200 sq. ft on 1/2 acre 35k us
phone w/internet 2k dr
water175 dr
elec just increased to 650 dr
real estate taxes 0000000000000000000000000

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In the capital Jeans Levis, etc are much below US prices but shopping takes some time.

The ones that are fake and you buy off the street on Duarte, maybe!

Please name me one store in Santo Domingo that sells genuine Levis (e.g. 501's) for US$39? That was the price I paid in New York last November, plus they are usually under US$40 on Amazon.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
decided to buy a house
phone w/internet 2k dr
water175 dr

Can you be more specific.

What area was you renting a house for RD$6k?
What type of phone and internet service for RD$2k
etc....

With out more details, those prices could be cheap or very expensive.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Phone is local for 1700 with internet with tax, tel rental etcl 512/256
Codetel
Use Skype or similar international calls.
Yanandu.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
decided to buy a house
phone w/internet 2k dr
water175 dr
Where did you find a 3 bedroom house for 6k? for the same price mine is 1 bedroom and half a bedroom both with their own bathroom (mine is tiny), with a tiny kitchen and a dining/living room thing that doesn't work out very well. I need to move because I'm sick of my landlord and this house, and I think 6k is too much for this piece of crap, and not having water all day because she thinks that since we supposedly don't pay for it, she can use all of it, letting the 3 hoses outside run all day for her chicken. ah well, it is "her" water. yeah right, I pay for it in the rent money!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Where did you find a 3 bedroom house for 6k? for the same price mine is 1 bedroom and half a bedroom both with their own bathroom (mine is tiny), with a tiny kitchen and a dining/living room thing that doesn't work out very well. I need to move because I'm sick of my landlord and this house, and I think 6k is too much for this piece of crap, and not having water all day because she thinks that since we supposedly don't pay for it, she can use all of it, letting the 3 hoses outside run all day for her chicken. ah well, it is "her" water. yeah right, I pay for it in the rent money!!

LOL, feel better? Good to get things off your chest ah!!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
The ones that are fake and you buy off the street on Duarte, maybe!

Please name me one store in Santo Domingo that sells genuine Levis (e.g. 501's) for US$39? That was the price I paid in New York last November, plus they are usually under US$40 on Amazon.

I have found Plaza Lama OK.
Some I have been told are over runs from local production or have very slight defects.
But normally under 1000 pesos.

Yanandu

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have found Plaza Lama OK.
Some I have been told are over runs from local production or have very slight defects.
But normally under 1000 pesos.

Yanandu

I'm glad we got that sorted.

You can buy crappy defected Levis for US$10 cheaper at Plaza Lama than you can buy a genuine pair in perfect condition from the USA.

Let me add more to this. They are usually designs that nobody would wear in the US or in odd colors and sizes. That's been my experience at looking at Levis at Plaza Lama and a few other stores here.

You know what? I think I'll pay the extra and either buy them in the US or have Amazon ship them :)

This is why is VERY important to add some background to the numbers posted here. Location, quality, age, condition, specs, shop purchased, when etc.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You can buy crappy defected Levis for US$10 cheaper at Plaza Lama than you can buy a genuine pair in perfect condition from the USA.

To add, I have never bought anything from Plaza Lama that did not fall apart within a very short space of time. We bought our dauighters first cot from Plaza Lama, RD9000$ head fitted through the bars and when I tried to weld new struts across the down poles they melted.
Clothes in Plaza Lama, ffs, please, just use your head, it is all sh1t, when we buy from plaza lama we only expect it to last a wash or 2.
Kids stuff, just outright dangerous.
I had my daughter strapped to the front of me on one of those body harnesses, when on my bike, if that is not dangerous enough I noticed the stitching coming loose in the moment, I pulled over from 50mph to 0 in about 1 second, not a good store dude.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Any post that is not 100% DR related or chit chat will be deleted, so don't wast your time and the mods time by posting.

This thread is about cost of living in the DR, not if you like rice and beans etc.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
To add, I have never bought anything from Plaza Lama that did not fall apart within a very short space of time. We bought our dauighters first cot from Plaza Lama, RD9000$ head fitted through the bars and when I tried to weld new struts across the down poles they melted.
Clothes in Plaza Lama, ffs, please, just use your head, it is all sh1t, when we buy from plaza lama we only expect it to last a wash or 2.
Kids stuff, just outright dangerous.
I had my daughter strapped to the front of me on one of those body harnesses, when on my bike, if that is not dangerous enough I noticed the stitching coming loose in the moment, I pulled over from 50mph to 0 in about 1 second, not a good store dude.

I dont know. I bought the 2.1 stereo speaker set with subwoofer from Plaza Lama, 1200 pesos. So far so good. I bought another 2 2.1 sets(1000pesos) from La Sirena and all in all, I like the Plaza Lama set better. How long will it last? I dont know. I m prone to think all these things fail from excessive power surges than low quality.

Shoes are cheaper if you are content with wearing plastic. I m into leather so that raises the price a bit to US levels but not giving you a real bountiful selection.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Great post?thanks.
Chip the ?Living in the DR is cheap? post was a great comparison for me.
What do you guys think of electronics, furniture, clothing etc? What I see are higher prices and not speaking of the tourist areas. I?m talking Mega Central. Now I understand most items are imported. What are your thoughts?

Electronics are definitely more expensive and the clothes depends on the brand, ie the name brands will cost more than they do in the States. Furniture costs don't have to be expensive if you deal with locally made stuff.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I'm glad we got that sorted.

Let me add more to this. They are usually designs that nobody would wear in the US or in odd colors and sizes. That's been my experience at looking at Levis at Plaza Lama and a few other stores here.

You know what? I think I'll pay the extra and either buy them in the US or have Amazon ship them :)

This is why is VERY important to add some background to the numbers posted here. Location, quality, age, condition, specs, shop purchased, when etc.

If you take time its not too bad - I have bought Dockers ( A Levi brand I think ) and shorts etc. All OK.
I suspect some water is not so good in the DR for washing and causes
deterioration - its not good to soak for long times.

Nylon clothing is good. Lightweight and easy to wash.

Fine clothes ( mohair, fine wool etc. ) that need dry cleaning etc. tend to be a problem in the DR.

Leather shoes start at 800 pesos and it takes care to purchase. Look at the seams etc. and make sure they fit. Sizes can be a mix of European UK, and US.

I have some nice pairs from Enzo Firenzo. They were very good value -could have cost 60$ in Europe.

Yanandu.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yea, you can get irregular Levis Dockers cheap but you have to be comfortable with clothes that have major imperfections. The ones I see were dyed wrong so the whole pant isnt the same color or something. The pockets arent the same depth.

I dont think you can get leather shoes for 800pesos. You can get "leather looking" shoes for 800 pesos. The leather shoe starts around 2000pesos.