Living Costs in the Dominican Republic

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would love to know how people have AC and hot water and pay RD$1600 a month for Luz. Unless they also have solar panels or are on one of those old meters with a fixed tariff.

Well, hot shower in the morning and again at night, but neither of us stay in there for a long time ( 12 gal tank) A/c is only on at bedtime until morning so 8 hours or less. If it's really hot we put the a/c in the office on, but we aren't in the ghouse to much during the day. No solar panels or old meters. We have comfortstar split inversor a/c 12,000 each.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
One must factor in Langostino's accompanied by a smooth Robert Mondavi Chardonnay Reserve

LucasM

Feb 19, 2019
Albondigos go into the soup quite often, 3 eggs for breakfast every morning. Lots of burgers and fries as well as fish out at Martina's twice a week at 440 pesos. Love it here.

How long do you think will you survive on that kind of food?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
How long do you think will you survive on that kind of food?

Well I am allergic to beans, can't stand rice more than 100 times per week. Gotta eat something.I am 73 now. Not gonna last forever no matter what I eat or don't
Derfish

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Well I am allergic to beans, can't stand rice more than 100 times per week. Gotta eat something.I am 73 now. Not gonna last forever no matter what I eat or don't
Derfish

Pack your bags fish.
You live in the wrong country with that bean allergy.
Maybe Portugal.
I am looking forward to going. Inexpensive, great weather in the south, no ac, no heaters. Plus the seafood and wine is great and local
I wish they did not speak Portuguese.

Have you tried brown rice? Its hard to cook correctly without one of those electric timer pots but if you have one of them it is easy, comes out fine every time and much better that white stuff.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I find living in the DR to be way more expensive than I expected.
I was lured in by folks saying the cost of living was low, "its a paradise"!
Then I found out there are two living styles here, Gringo and Dominican.
If you can live Dominican it is a low cost of living.
I cannot live Dominican.
I want low cost of living for a high style life.
I am still looking.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is easy to eat low cost but not Dominican - curries, thai food, italian, chinese - all cheap to buy/prepare and delicious. Live high up in the mountains so you don't need aircon - go down to the cities when you want to be high style!

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Portugal is a great alternative

But you can live well here on a small budget..
local things... not imported

No beef (bad anyway)... pork , fish, chicken
local fruit/veg

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Pack your bags fish.
Maybe Portugal.
I am looking forward to going. Inexpensive, great weather in the south, no ac, no heaters. Plus the seafood and wine is great and local
Actually, Portuguese is not difficult to learn if you speak Spanish. It does not sound like it looks, though. I learned it in a week.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Pack your bags fish.
Maybe Portugal.

Have you tried brown rice? Its hard to cook correctly without one of those electric timer pots but if you have one of them it is easy, comes out fine every time and much better that white stuff.

We were in the Algarve a month ago. I love the climate, warm no too warm, during the day and 14_16 degrees at night. Fresh fish every day, roasted sardines. Good wines. Amazing cheap indeed.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Albondigos go into the soup quite often, 3 eggs for breakfast every morning. Lots of burgers and fries as well as fish out at Martina's twice a week at 440 pesos. Love it here.

…..Fish seriously you can lower your risk of stroke or heart attack by taking a drug like Atorvastatin(reduces plaque build up in arteries)..and taking a low dose 81 M.G.aspirin once a day...…….

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
…..Fish seriously you can lower your risk of stroke or heart attack by taking a drug like Atorvastatin(reduces plaque build up in arteries)..and taking a low dose 81 M.G.aspirin once a day...…….

Yeah I take 15 pills a day. the statin and metformin and carvedilol and furosamide and 81 mg aspirin and eliquis and a bunch more. Had two TIAs as in mini strokes last year and a heart attack as well, last year. That is why I came back here. Too much stress there. But I gotta figure out something to cover my medicine costs, looking at Puerto Rico to be back where medicare covers me.
Derfish

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011

"Commonly reported side effects of atorvastatin include: hemorrhagic stroke" lol

I'm not a Dr. but...I think I'll stick to a WFPB diet per Drs John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn, etc... ;)
https://nutritionstudies.org/whole-food-plant-based-diet-guide/
https://nutriciously.com/vegan-doctors/

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
"Commonly reported side effects of atorvastatin include: hemorrhagic stroke" lol

I'm not a Dr. but...I think I'll stick to a WFPB diet per Drs John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn, etc... ;)
https://nutritionstudies.org/whole-food-plant-based-diet-guide/
https://nutriciously.com/vegan-doctors/

I have never met a healthy vegetarian and most of my family chooses that affliction. My sister died at age 65 of colon cancer, having been a vegetarian since 17 years old. She thought she was being healthy! I got a friend who is a total carnivore, and he is older than she was! One is going to live as long as one lives, and then it is over. Every month some 'new healthiest diet ever' comes out. Stuff them all, eat what one likes, and be happy about it.
Derfish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have never met a healthy vegetarian and most of my family chooses that affliction. My sister died at age 65 of colon cancer, having been a vegetarian since 17 years old. She thought she was being healthy! I got a friend who is a total carnivore, and he is older than she was! One is going to live as long as one lives, and then it is over. Every month some 'new healthiest diet ever' comes out. Stuff them all, eat what one likes, and be happy about it.
Derfish

There is an old joke I heard from my father 40 years ago or so. It goes like this: A man of 60 years went to see his docto, the doctor checked him over and said "You are in pretty good shape for your age."
"But doc, will I live to be 80?"
Doc asked
" Do you drink?"
"No.'
"Smoke?"
"No.'
"Fly in small airplanes,?"
"No."
"Eat red meat?"
"No.'
"Drive fast cars?"
"No."
"Chase girls?"
"No."
"Then why would you want to live to be 80 if you ain't doing nuthin!"
And basically that is a philosophy to live by as far as I am concerned.
Derfish

Last edited:

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Do you, by all means, fish. As I said" I think I'll"...keeping doing what I do (possibly excepting whilst on vacation lol)

Last edited:

Ramen

Jul 1, 2019
Derfish

But the WFPB diet is vegan! They think they cracked the code and are going to live longer, but most don't even know about taking vitamins that are deficient in their diet. This all started as an animal rights fad, not a healthy diet. Going out to eat and getting salads all the time gets tiring quickly as not many cater to these people in DR.