Living in the DR is cheap

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, when living in the UK I seldom went near outlets of the Worldwide corporate mafia who are trashing the planet and wasting precious resouces lighting etc. their stupid stores.

Now in the DR I can eat local produce in the open air - with no stupid florescent tubes or a/c etc.

2 dollars is good for a very satisfying meal using local foodstuffs. Yes, if you cook by gas no problem if the flame is low and a pressure cooker used for beans etc.

Let the exucutives at Wendys twiddle their fat thumbs..

yapask1..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that was my second time at wendy's ever. i said to miesposo it is unbelievable that a shi**y fast food meal for two is nearly 20 dollars. for this we could eat well elsewhere. but it was worth it, i made my friend cry the tears of jealousy :)
still, miesposo's bbf went to quiznos next door and spent a whooping 1.115 pesos for two. for a god damn sandwich! (sorry, chip)

May 29, 2006
Just had Wendy's tonight. Bacon cheeseburger and a baked potato for under $US3 in NY. I'd never go to one in the DR though. I'm not a big fan of fast food, but BK can have some pretty good value in the US. It's the soda and fries that they really make money on.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes, when living in the UK I seldom went near outlets of the Worldwide corporate mafia who are trashing the planet and wasting precious resouces lighting etc. their stupid stores.

Now in the DR I can eat local produce in the open air - with no stupid florescent tubes or a/c etc.

2 dollars is good for a very satisfying meal using local foodstuffs. Yes, if you cook by gas no problem if the flame is low and a pressure cooker used for beans etc.

Let the exucutives at Wendys twiddle their fat thumbs..

yapask1..
Instead of bashing Wendy's, how about you open a chain of tofu bruger joints where the grill is fired from your dried pine-bark fueled poop and show the world how it's done, yabadabadu...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
When Church's chicken comes to Santiago, I'll be first in line.

Speaking of fried chicken, what happened to the Pollo Victorina place across the street from the CT station? It's closed.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Wendys no doubt attract idiots to eat their soya rich sausages they pay very low cents for.

Cheese is made with soya oil????

Processed Cheese Slice
Cheese (milk, modified milk ingredients,
bacterial culture, salt, rennet and/or microbial enzyme, calcium chloride,
lipase, colour), modified milk ingredients, water, glucose, sodium citrate
and/or sodium phosphate, salt, acetic acid, sorbic acid, soya lecithin,
carboxymethylcellulose, colour. May contain citric acid.
<!-- ADDED for easy ID reference - JT1527 -->
Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Water, pasteurized process cheddar cheese
(cheddar cheese [pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes], water, sodium
phosphate, milkfat, salt, apocarotenal [colour]), cream cheese spread
(pasteurized milk & cream, cheese culture, salt, carob bean gum), milk
ingredients, cornstarch, soybean oil, cheddar cheese blend (cheddar, semi-soft
and blue cheese [pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt and enzymes], water,
sodium phosphate, vinegar, salt), sea salt, disodium phosphate, annatto
colour.

Nutrition Facts & Personalize It - Wendy's

Love carboxymethylcellulose!

Life expectancy when eating wendy? I will stick to my local soft cheese made with milk.....

yapak1

May 29, 2006
It's a shame, but healthy food is a lot more expensive than soda and fries in the US. You can buy a 2 liter bottle of soda for a buck, but a single green pepper is prob going to be more than $1.50. One of the perks of living in the DR is produce is a great bargain. In the US, anything with HFCS or fed corn and soy is heavily subsidized by the government. We're paying for it in diabetes and all other kinds of chronic illness. I just like a cheezburger once in a while. Never sin in moderation...

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
$200 for electric in the desert??? I lived in Vegas for years, the electric per kilowatt hour was very reasonable but the bill still averaged over $500 every 2 months and that was 10 years ago!

Nope that is what it is..They have something called a "smart meter", I think that is what it is called. Their electric bill runs right around $200.00. They have ceiling fans and all that but that is what their electric runs around each month. Brother lives there too and his house is around 1800-1900 sq ft and his bill is around $150.00. Made the mistake of going to BK one day. For 3 of us it was well over $25.00.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Why advertise Saturday Night Live when I with a Dominican ISP am not allowed to watch? Only those with a satellite connection to an American ISP would appear to be allowed to watch!

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
It's a shame, but healthy food is a lot more expensive than soda and fries in the US. You can buy a 2 liter bottle of soda for a buck, but a single green pepper is prob going to be more than $1.50. One of the perks of living in the DR is produce is a great bargain. In the UShea, anything with HFCS or fed corn and soy is heavily subsidized by the government. We're paying for it in diabetes and all other kinds of chronic illness. I just like a cheezburger once in a while. Never sin in moderation...
Yes, thanks PIB for contributing greatly to what I hope is a possitive point. I have had criticism for only being negative. After living in the DR for some years I believe it is possible to have a great lifestyle at very moderate cost in the DR with all sorts of bonuses such as eating healthy food.

yapask1

Dec 26, 2011
Yes, thanks PIB for contributing greatly to what I hope is a possitive point. I have had criticism for only being negative. After living in the DR for some years I believe it is possible to have a great lifestyle at very moderate cost in the DR with all sorts of bonuses such as eating healthy food.

yapask1

You definitely make some valid points. If you can limit packaged and processed foods from the grocery stores and rely on local produce vendors and purveyors of fish and find the right carnicer?a, you can eat tasty and healthy food for cheap. And the rents you refer to are realistic as well, in my experience. But we all have different lifestyles and comfort levels, hence the ribbing you get.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
MacDonald's "Dollar Menu", that would be 40 pesos here, has burgers with carmelized onions for, You Guessed It, "A BUCK!"
It is juicy salty nutritious,and tastes really great!
Many Americans find them irresistable!
As more and more, US, fast food restaurants arrive in the DR, prices will go lower and lower, until even the poorest Dominicanos can eat a nutritious breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
It beats the present Dominican diet, which is "Salt, Sugar, and Grease"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2011
MacDonald's "Dollar Menu", that would be 40 pesos here, has burgers with carmelized onions for, You Guessed It, "A BUCK!"
It is juicy salty nutritious,and tastes really great!
Many Americans find them irresistable!
As more and more, US, fast food restaurants arrive in the DR, prices will go lower and lower, until even the poorest Dominicanos can eat a nutritious breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
It beats the present Dominican diet, which is "Salt, Sugar, and Grease"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Those things are tasty.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Huh - CC is living in the past .......

A tiny burger and a tea two dollars. Do you see carmelized onions in the picture ..... Frozen onion warmed up I guess.

MD can only offer this because the average customer spends way above $2.

Dollar Menu :: McDonalds.com

Combo meal is often quoted $7 dollars equals 280 pesos.

In SD often have good meal for 150-200.

Cost of Living in Miami, FL, United States. Prices in Miami, FL.

Rent 1 br about $1,000 a month.

yapask1