Looking for a cheap jeep type vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I know a Land cruiser for sale. It is a BJ 73' 2.4 diesel. Running very wel but need some paint work if you want it to have really nice. It is on Corotos.

Can you post a link please?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I purchased my latest vehicle from Moca.  A 2012 Toyota Highlander.  I also checked Puerto Plata, Santiago and La Vega.  Moca had the best selection followed by La Vega

The three that I checked out from Moca were straight off the boat from USA.  Zero miles in DR and clean Carfax reports.

I know it's a different market from what the OP is looking for, I'm just backing up the claim that Moca is still a good place to find a vehicle by my own experience.  Doing business with a Moca dealer was a much more pleasurable experience.  I found them to be very polite and flexible and willing to negotiate, especially with a foreigner.  The few dealers that I went to in Santiago were a little more brusk.  They were rigid in their prices and their stock would not stand up to much scrutiny.  When pointing out defects or concerns, they were usually met with aggressive responses.

I have also noticed that many used car dealers in Santiago and Santo Domingo don't stay in business for long.  The name signs outside the lots change very regularly.  The ones in Moca tend to last longer and establish a reputation, meaning that they seem to have a grasp of the business and are customer orientated.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Did you check out the DR1 classifieds? DavidZ has something for sale. Don't know if it is what you are looking for.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Did you check out the DR1 classifieds? DavidZ has something for sale. Don't know if it is what you are looking for.

2001 Ford Escape XLT for sale - 250,000 pesos -

2001 Ford Escape XLT. The color is dark blue. Body, engine, leather interior, tires in very good condition. The vehicle is located in Santiago (Villa Olga), but will bring it to the North Coast for a serious buyer to check out. I have several pics I can send as I can't post them on the ad. Contact me on DR1 or email: dzinaman@yahoo.com for more info.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
And you have some recent sales data from one of the associations or the government to support that claim?

I have no problem if you are trolling for business by making certain statements....but if you are going to denigrate businesses with a broad brush...at least provide some data.

There are 39 registered car dealers in Moca that have anywhere from 15-200 cars per dealer.......and lots more smaller dealers.

As I said, they have more cars/selection in Moca per capita......than any other city in the DR.....according to Anadive, one of the used car associations in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I went to Moca, a few years back, in an attempt to find a solid used vehicle. Must of what I saw in Moca was junk being past off as a decent car. I got the impression that these dealers put very little into these used cars to get them in good runnning order. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to find a private individual that has maintanence records for his vehicle and bring it to your mechanic before you purchase anything.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I went to Moca, a few years back, in an attempt to find a solid used vehicle. Must of what I saw in Moca was junk being past off as a decent car. I got the impression that these dealers put very little into these used cars to get them in good runnning order. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to find a private individual that has maintanence records for his vehicle and bring it to your mechanic before you purchase anything.

i was going to just leave this thread with what i had said, until you posted this. thank you.

i repeat, for all who will listen...there was a time, in the not too distant past, when Moca had a reputation for being the place to go when you wanted to buy a used car. those days are over. it is a gigantic junkyard, with guys selling overpriced junk. there are good dealerships like Turin Motors, where one can find a good car, but the prices are nowhere near as reasonable as in Santiago. i am not going to argue this with a guy who bought one car, and tries to post authoritatively on the matter. i have been to Moca looking at maybe 50 cars.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A 22 year-old Toyota with over 500,000 miles, for the unbelievably low price of 239,000 pesos (over $5,000).
Could someone tell me why this seems crazy?

Those old FJ70's have quite a following.  As do the earlier FJ40's.  Dominicans don't really do classic cars per se, not like the Cubans.  But these old Landcruisers are the closest thing that Dominicans will appreciate as a classic and the prices reflect that.

Rust is the biggest enemy of these old trucks.  You can be sure that some welding has been done at some stage of it's life.  You just have to make sure that it's been done correctly.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
As low a price as I can get with it still running ;-)

This is the last post that the OP, DRDreamer made in I think #3 post in this thread.

Meanwhile... we all are going nuts trying to help someone that appears is not even here.

Another waste of time and lots of "hard feelings" all for nothing.

Looking for the OP to respond.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
i was going to just leave this thread with what i had said, until you posted this. thank you.

i repeat, for all who will listen...there was a time, in the not too distant past, when Moca had a reputation for being the place to go when you wanted to buy a used car. those days are over. it is a gigantic junkyard, with guys selling overpriced junk. there are good dealerships like Turin Motors, where one can find a good car, but the prices are nowhere near as reasonable as in Santiago. i am not going to argue this with a guy who bought one car, and tries to post authoritatively on the matter. i have been to Moca looking at maybe 50 cars.

I think one can check out both towns, they're only 10 miles apart, give or take.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Absolutely and La Vega has several decent dealerships as well. lots of locals buy at Beato, Mayella...etc.

the title of the thread is looking for a CHEAP vehicle.

maybe you would like to tell us your experiences in price comparisons at places like Blady Beato.....

Status
Not open for further replies.