Looking for a cheap jeep type vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Absolutely and La Vega has several decent dealerships as well. lots of locals buy at Beato, Mayella...etc.

Cousin bought a Lexus RX350 at Mayella. Great car in great condition, liked the dealer, financed through them too, paid off early and got matricula in his name quickly. No problems.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
This is the last post that the OP, DRDreamer made in I think #3 post in this thread.

Meanwhile... we all are going nuts trying to help someone that appears is not even here.

Another waste of time and lots of "hard feelings" all for nothing.

Looking for the OP to respond.

Well I am still here and have been talking with various people on PM.
I just got bored with the bickering.

Roy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
https://www.supercarros.com/carros/camioneta/toyota/hilux/Detalle/688795/
These are tough trucks, parts readily available and many mechanics are familar with them. There are hundreds of these of more or less the same vintage used in the mountains.

There's a guy next door to me with one of these, but a SR5-X, which is the luxury version of this truck with a diesel engine. He's had it since new, and has turned down 500K offers more times than he can remember.

They are tanks, especially the ones with the diesel engine.

I have another friend who threw a HILUX diesel engine in his Cherokee. Great running truck, and super economical. If my engine ever goes, that's what the replacement will be.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Roy

In the car business, blanket statements are worthless, IMO.
Each car, dealer and transaction are different.

I have a friend who will NOT buy a car except in the last week of December...
Year end, dealer trying to make quotas.....

He thinks he's beating the system..... who knows??

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In the car business, blanket statements are worthless, IMO.
Each car, dealer and transaction are different.

I have a friend who will NOT buy a car except in the last week of December...
Year end, dealer trying to make quotas.....

He thinks he's beating the system..... who knows??

actually, there is a little thing called a generalization, which means that something fits into a general rule. yes, one might go to Moca and find a great price on a great car, but, as a general rule, the cars are priced higher than Santiago, the capital, and places like Tenares.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

Roy

Thank you for reporting in here and your NOT reporting in is very much understandable.

You say that you are sending PM's so I do hope that some posts on DR1 have been of help.

Yet after your post concerning "bickering" that I agree with: but can not help but see recent posts that appear go right back to personal views. Geeeezzz.

I wish you well and hope you find what you are looking for.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...Gorgon.....I was in the automobile business. for years in my first career......was always in management, used car manager was my favorite, and I havent seen anything new in many years,..........so when I see a new thread about buying a car...I treat it like politics or religion....you cant win, to many uneducated experts out there( remember what a expert is----a drip under pressure) do admire your style for trying to give advise, although it seems to be mostly ignored....that same advise that I charged good money for, years ago.......Doc..........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
...Gorgon.....I was in the automobile business. for years in my first career......was always in management, used car manager was my favorite, and I havent seen anything new in many years,..........so when I see a new thread about buying a car...I treat it like politics or religion....you cant win, to many uneducated experts out there( remember what a expert is----a drip under pressure) do admire your style for trying to give advise, although it seems to be mostly ignored....that same advise that I charged good money for, years ago.......Doc..........

thank you, DOC. actually, i had no idea that this would get so far, and involve so many experts. i made a simple statement. the OP wanted a CHEAP CAR. i merely said that Moca, the erstwhile location for good deals, is no longer what it used to be. guys there have taken the hype, and run with it, using repuation to sell junk at inflated prices. all of a sudden, every guy who has never done a search for a car in more than two towns is coming out to contradict me. then they say i am a contrarian. it is to laugh.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
how I ever went out and bought a car without all this 'good' advice baffles me.

Car with 6 months warranty left (hence few trust issues w/ dealer.).... less than $20,000

Alfred E Neuman................ What, Me worry ???

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
how I ever went out and bought a car without all this 'good' advice baffles me.

Car with 6 months warranty left (hence few trust issues w/ dealer.).... less than $20,000

Alfred E Neuman................ What, Me worry ???

not everyone has 20,000 like you. some guys have 10 grand, and have to find a decent ride for their money. that is a price point at which you can get really skinned. most cars at that price are 2006 or 7, have no carfax, and very sketchy history. you need someone who knows cars to buy those things...someone who can do in depth inspections to know what you are buying. 99% of people buying a car cannot tell if it had been in a serious wreck, and that it was improperly repaired.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
The thread title included the word 'cheap', that's not us $20,000.
Thanks to those who have given advice on where to look and replied in PM.
Roy

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The thread title included the word 'cheap', that's not us $20,000.
Thanks to those who have given advice on where to look and replied in PM.
Roy

In my 45 years of driving and owning various vehicles I have come to realize cheap doesn't always end up being cheaper in the long run. You seem to know more or less what you want. I have tried to point out to you the value of buying toyota on this island, however good luck with whatever you end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.