Looking for an inexpensive used car

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I agree with you 50%. Yes, mechanics are very cheap here but there's a reason. They generally eff shit up more than they fix shit.
That's is the case for many, but when you live here a long time you find out who the good ones are. Mine has always done a good job and guarantees his work 100%.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
There are no used cars sold on DR without problems
Well, then I'm the only one on this island that have had those expierence (or Luck?) Yes, I searched about 3 month and checked dozens of vehicles before I gotthe goal. When we saw the SUV the first time we know thats it. We checked all out, carfax by our own count, so no changes on odometer, diagnostic scanner for the codes, driving the SUV arround. There was really no faults on this car,so we bought it immediatly.
This was 2019 and I'm still driving my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, give it the needed maintenance and never had a problem. There are good vehicles out there, but you must find them.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are a lot of posters here that have been very happy with used cars that Mike Logan found for them. You have to know what to look for if you're going to buy a used car. Bring a trusted mechanic with you if you don't.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well, then I'm the only one on this island that have had those expierence (or Luck?) Yes, I searched about 3 month and checked dozens of vehicles before I gotthe goal. When we saw the SUV the first time we know thats it. We checked all out, carfax by our own count, so no changes on odometer, diagnostic scanner for the codes, driving the SUV arround. There was really no faults on this car,so we bought it immediatly.
This was 2019 and I'm still driving my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, give it the needed maintenance and never had a problem. There are good vehicles out there, but you must find them.
recient imports that have never been driven and worked on by DR 'mechanics' it may be OK - but If it's been here a year or more it will be garbage

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There are a lot of posters here that have been very happy with used cars that Mike Logan found for them. You have to know what to look for if you're going to buy a used car. Bring a trusted mechanic with you if you don't.
Mike checks them out as best he can but he likely can't know their full history, if they have been in the body shop or how many bolts have been stripped by the morons who pretend to be mechanics

Reactions: Fulano2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Mike checks them out as best he can but he likely can't know their full history, if they have been in the body shop or how many bolts have been stripped by the morons who pretend to be mechanics
Nobody can tell for sure 100%. The same applies to used cars sold in the US, and I've had some bad mechanics there and plenty of stories of complete scam artist mechanics in the US.

Reactions: bob saunders

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have dealt with him a couple of times in the past with pretty good results. However, I think he struggles a bit to find good cars in the lower price range. But I'll be getting in touch with him this afternoon.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I'm not sure how the pricing has evolved during the recent years, but we purchased our vehicle in 2018 and our budget was less than yours and we got a perfectly nice vehicle.
Well they haven't become cheaper that's for sure. I bought my current car in 2018 as well, and I bought it for 600k and now I see adds for basically the same car (same year, but could be with another package, such as extra lights, leather seats etc) for between 700-800k. So instead of becoming cheaper with the years, they have become more expensive.
Like 5 years ago I would have said that 500k would give you a decent car, nowadays though, I don't know.
The other day I saw a 1982 (40+years) Toyota Hilux that they wanted 350k for......... I mean in other parts of the world you could argue that it's a fair price for a classic, but first of all Hilux is not a classic and definitily not in the DR....
So the used car market over here is over the top to say the least...

Reactions: drstock

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Look at this one, only 32K miles, looks like new.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A car 17 years old with 32,000 km? More chance of hitting the lottery............

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Here a newer one with 52K miles

Jan 9, 2004
Looks like a good one to investigate.........if a Jeep is on your list.

Body panels/lines look straight and factory (although without closer inspection it is hard to tell if it has been repainted.

The interior supports the 32,000 mileage claim.

Ad says one owner, so likely bought in SD new with warranty.

Now if the guy has any maintenance records to support his claims.....it certainly would be worth kicking the tires so to speak.

While I am not a fan of Jeep..............this looks on the surface to be a good find.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I agree with you 50%. Yes, mechanics are very cheap here but there's a reason. They generally eff shit up more than they fix shit.

This is the reason I would never personally leave our vehicle unattended in any garage. It's not that they would do something wrong on purpose or even do anything wrong, just peace of mind for me. I have also never been to a garage where I would not have been allowed to stand next to the mechanic while working. The first time ever I took our vehicle to a relatively large garage in POP, the mechanic was friendly and professional and all, but they (by accident) did try to pour in half the wrong engine oil and half the right. I checked the quarts before he started pouring and kindly pointed out that you have half of these wrong. He apologized and went to change immediately. Problem solved.

Then I found a much smaller garage in POP which I found to be trustworthy, and they changed things in the front bearings me watching behind their back, we were chatting and I even helped him. The work turned out to be perfect by the way. I have not since changed the garage. It's all about them knowing you and you knowing them, then it should work...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Well they haven't become cheaper that's for sure. I bought my current car in 2018 as well,
I believe that. I'm thankful that we don't have to be part of car purchasing process in the DR for the foreseeable future, unless you import a new one. You pay more, but you have more peace of mind.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Nobody can tell for sure 100%. The same applies to used cars sold in the US, and I've had some bad mechanics there and plenty of stories of complete scam artist mechanics in the US.
In the US you can at least pull up any legit body shop reports. But sure there are nefarious mechanics there also but nothing like the outright attempts to put lipstick on pigs that's done here.

I bet 40% of cars in DR have had their instrument panel mileage rolled back or the check engine lights cross-wired to light up from another 'key-on' source, because I found that exact thing in a car my ex bought.

Rolling back an odometer in the US is quite rare.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
A "trusted " mechanic...in DR, from our experience ... works if you understand the issue well first...and if you know exactly what needs to be done ....we scan our cars ourselves and we see the repair carried out on YouTube first ...and if its anything major that I can't do on a Sunday.....we discuss and agree price and time with the mechanic ...in advance...

Or you could just try your luck with a mechanic in DR ..and see what happens ..😁.

We just bought a used car for Miesposa's sobrina....her first car...we took a scanner to cut through the BS ...almost all had hidden major issues ...a good scanner is your best friend when buying used cars in DR ...it will tell you things that will make you 😳😲😲😲... glad you brought one.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It’s hard to find a reliable and good one. In the RSJ aérea there is only one I trust. I don’t even know his name, everybody calls him “Toyota”.
My father in law’s (R.I.P) 24 years old Prado had his Diesel engine broken (I was telling for a year the T-belt had to be remplaced).
“Toyota” a long time family friend was geven the task to find a used diesel engine.
He found in his huge circle of friends a 177, stronger than the original, in very good condition and placed it with one of his helpers in a couple of hours for a Total of only 90.000 peso’s.

No we own a Lexus GX, petrol of course.
I thought I was smart and bought a Toyota/Lexus OBD scanner overhere in Belgium.
One day a warning light showed up, yellow. I used the OBD and it said
“Lambdasondenheizung” “Bank 2 sensor 2”.
I don’t know the terms in English.
I went to Toyota. He saw the warning light. Without showing him the OBD scanner he said “ problema del sensor en el catalizador”.
I could help laughing loud and had to explain him why I was laughing.
They all have the same problem in the DR he said. It’s the bad petrol.

Most mechanics, believe it or not, don’t have an OBD scanner. That’s oké for a Toyota from the 80’s but to do maintenance on recent cars I think it is necessary to use one.