Jan 2, 2002
Thanks but I think Canadian girls get beat up enough around here so I named it

"Love gone wrong".

How's that? ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Me, me, me, me, me!

Since her situation, in my opinion, has nothing to do with being a "he is black and I am white" or a "Canadian thing". I have a nice tittle:

"Get to know your mate before making any type of decisions because if you marry him even though you knew that he was an axhole, then you are also an axhole".

Good enough?. Nice tittle and it can be used for both genders!!.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
She was not a very smart person when she chose him but we don't know the whole story anyhow.
Why would she post that on a board I don't know? Is it a joke who knows?
The point was it was just a bad realationship not a bad interracial relationship just as rick has been stating.

Miguel- I know many women who are educated and smart but are real dumb when it comes to relationships. She obviously didn't make a smart choice and but he shouldn't be abusing anyone don't you think? He obvioulsy has problems. Throwing hints who knows I know a girl and she dated a guy and he was sweet as ever and only later on did he start showing possesive signs and she broke up with him. He started stalking her and he tried to kidnap her seriously she managed to get away. Obvisously this woman married the guy and my friend only dated the guy.
Maybe she came from an abusive family it is a cycle so we can never know?

xamaicano- Here we go again, I'm Canadian and definatly not dumb!!!

Why am I yapping, this person hasn't even posted again, I'm done!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
miguel said:
:

"Get to know your mate before making any type of decisions because if you marry him even though you knew that he was an axhole, then you are also an axhole".

Good enough?. Nice tittle and it can be used for both genders!!.

Good advice Miguel but a bit too long for a title.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I hear ya!

Anna Coniglio said:
Good advice Miguel but a bit too long for a title.
True, a bit too long.

How about:

"you marry who you are". Plain, simple and not a Canadian or race "thing".

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Music said:
xamaicano- Here we go again, I'm Canadian and definatly not dumb!!!

I was just kidding, I don't think Canadian women are any dumber than any other women. I was just participating in Mars/Venus favorite sport.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
rough crowd! here is my shot at the title

Anna Coniglio said:
Maybe I should rename it. What would you guys suggest?

"Men who beat their women and the women who love them".

how's that?

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Yeah! Perfect

Because I bet, on a per capita basis, the number of 'dumb" women that are American, Canadian or from wherever, the numbers are not too different.
We are not ALL idiots up here.
Unfortunately it only appears that way as a result of the ones that do come forward with their stories of stupidity - and I will be the first to call 'em that regardless of where they are from - always seem to be from here dammit.

mami said:
"Men who beat their women and the women who love them".

how's that?

mami

Mar 16, 2004
i was just having my shot at the title.

hollywood north said:
Yeah! Perfect

Because I bet, on a per capita basis, the number of 'dumb" women that are American, Canadian or from wherever, the numbers are not too different.
Unfortunately it only appears that way as a result of the ones that do come forward with their stories of stupidity - and I will be the first to call 'em that regardless of where they are from - always seem to be from here dammit.

women are not dumb(of any race country or culture) LOVE makes US dumb.
actually she sounds pretty smart if she got out! first time he hit her "shame on him". second time he hits her "shame on her".

This is written in the Hebrew Talmud, it says: Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because God counts her tears. The woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, But from the side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
The OP has only posted twice. The other post was in April 4, 2005 asking about teaching jobs.

I think Chiri's comment was about "still loving him" and not if the story is a joke.

Right Chiri?

I suspected it was a troll trying to get the DR1ers going on their favourite topic, but in the light of her posting history, it may indeed be genuine. Good on her for getting out, but it is sad that she could still love this person.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
hollywood north said:
Yeah! Perfect

fact of the matter is that since many or all foreigners
are not latinos (and not dominicans), they don't know
the culture of dominicans and of latinos in general.
I don't care how long anyone have lived in dr, if you're not
a latino, you don't know the culture. You have to have the
latino blood to truely know them. You can get to know about them or the culture but to really know them just
won't happen even if you have lived 20-30 yrs in dr.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
Maybe I should rename it. What would you guys suggest?

Q: What's the first thing a woman does when she gets out of the battered wives' shelter?
A: The dishes if she knows what's good for her
put that thread along with this joke in the clown bin.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Doesn't anyone remember?

Doesn't anyone remember that a Canadian tourist got beat up and robbed by her new dominican husband in Sosua December last year? Rocky or Lou should know more about this.
This just to say that the OP's story isn't so exceptional or unbelievable, sad but true.
Bartolomeo

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Bartolomeo67 said:
Doesn't anyone remember that a Canadian tourist got beat up and robbed by her new dominican husband in Sosua December last year? Rocky or Lou should know more about this.
This just to say that the OP's story isn't so exceptional or unbelievable, sad but true.
Bartolomeo

It?s horrible and sad, but of course it can be true. I personally know 3 women in Puerto Plata this happened to the last year.
Abuse in relationships is not uncommon here. This was discussed in another thread also ( http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42601 )

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
keea said:
I just wanted to comment on my experience. I lived in the DR for years doing volunteer work. Then I met and married an Indio ( a med. skinned dominican) who came from money. I also have a degree in latin american culture so I thought I understand the risks behing an intercultural, interracial marriage, not to mention the whole machismo deal. We were married for less than 24 hours before he quit his job and said I would get another job to support us. We were married less than a month before he told me I could no longer leave the house or make phone calls without his permission. We were married less than 3 onths before he started to beat me.
there is only so much a canadian girl can take, even though I still love him, we are seperated. like I said, I THOUGHT i understood his culture, anymore, I don't know.
Sorry I am new to this thread and don't feel like reading every reply, and sorry if someone has already asked or repeated the same thing I am about to say......
If your husband quit his job and told you to find another job- Doesn't the light go on that says Hell No, and then you tell him thats not the way it works and if he doesn't get back to work he can find himself another wife?
I mean it starts a sqaure one first its emotional and then its physical abuse, this isn't just a dominican or a latin thing this is how it happens everywhere, and the way to deal with it is to disallow it to happen from day one rather then allowing it to progress.
If the you working two jobs wasn't enough, don't you think that when you couldn't use the phone that would be the time to take the two paychecks you are making and leave?
Sorry but it seems so simple to me.