Make a Difference to a Child

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I sent you a PM so I can send you a check while your in the US. I am going home 5/1 for a visit so I can mail you a check.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Prof
I'm in for $10 a month. Will stop by your office before I leave at the end of May, when you are in town please let me know, and the precise address of the office.
Another method of collection may be like one makes car payments in this country. Open a bank account and pass out the account number and each person makes a deposit in the branch of that bank in her or his own city.
Der Fish

If you open an account, pm me the info, and I will contribute monthly as well...

BelgianK

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Count me in too LaProf. I can send a check to your house or Paypal, let me know which you prefer, PM me the info.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am overwhelmed! I arrived at my destination at midnight last night, so am just working on replies now.

My PM inbox was overflowing. I have replied to all of those messages, and later today will go through the thread to reply to any offers of help that I have not yet acknowledged.

As I said earlier, I am going to be completely transparent about this effort and intend to post publicly, on Dropbox, a spreadsheet listing promises, donations received and each purchase of medicine. That way, anyone who wants to can see at any time where we are financially, how much has been donated and how and when it was used. As I get photos, before and after, and data on Isaida's growth, I'll post them either in this thread or on Dropbox.

For those who have or will give to this effort, how should I list your donation? I can use your DR1 handle, real name, initials, etc. I will list date received, donor, amount and then will have Excel add donations so that a running total can be kept. If everyone prefers to be anonymous, I will simply list Donor 1, Donor 2 etc and keep a separate list of names.

Thanks again, everyone.

We progress!

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Received PMs from La Louve and cbmitch9.

La Louve, it will be easier for me to pick up in US Dollars - thanks so very much!

cbmitch9 - thanks for replying - I will wait to see what everyone else wants to do about identification on the spreadsheet

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Prof
I'm in for $10 a month. Will stop by your office before I leave at the end of May, when you are in town please let me know, and the precise address of the office.
Another method of collection may be like one makes car payments in this country. Open a bank account and pass out the account number and each person makes a deposit in the branch of that bank in her or his own city.
Der Fish

I will send an email with my PayPal information in a few minutes. The idea of opening an account has value, but I think if I have an account in a foreign bank, I have to declare it on my Federal tax return. There was a thread not long ago about the IRS tightening up on reporting requirements.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I have a start on the Excel spreadsheet documenting donations.

It is located here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25690614/Donation and Medicine Purchases - Accounting.xls

As soon as I figure out how to make it "read-only" the link will be live.

Thanks to everyone. I have received promises of checks, in some cases I know how much, in others I don't. However, including just the actual amounts promised, right now we have $805 US from single donation donors. In addition, the monthly donation donors have promised, so far, the equivalent (using $1 US = $38.9 RD) of $3545 RD. That is only people who have specified an amount.

The monthly amount promised so far is one-third of the cost. Is there anyone else who can help this project?

If anyone checks Excel sheet and finds an error, please let me know and I will correct it.

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Updates, Reminder and Request

Update

I updated the spreadsheet today to reflect all the donations I have received. The link is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25690614/Donation and Medicine Purchases - Accounting.xls

If you don't have Excel you won't be able to open it, so I will summarize:

I have received $550 US which at a tasa of 38.9 equals RD$21,395. Seventy dollars of that is monthly payments. Since there are not enough monthly donors to cover the entire cost, I am going to intersperse the single donations (enough promised for 4 months) with the monthly ones. That way I can take two or three months to accumulate enough from the by-month donors to purchase the medicine.

Reminders

1. I have notified everyone who sent money of its arrival. There is at least one more "cheque in the mail" that I think will arrive early next week. If anyone else is planning to send a check to the NY address, please do so no later than Monday since my flight to the DR departs at 6 AM on Friday, May 11. That allows a few days for the mail to reach me.

2. Anyone else planning to send a check, if it is not mailed by Monday the 7th of May, please use the Florida (Business Mail) address.

3. For people who are planning to drop by my office, I will be there and available on Monday May 14th from 9 AM to 1:30 PM. I work Monday to Friday, and although I usually work later than 1:30 PM, the entrance doors are locked at that time.

Request

Several monthly donors have requested that I send email reminders. Please PM me your email address so that I can create an E-mail list for reminders.

We are doing well, I think. The total cost of the necessary medicine (30 months) is $7,500 US. We have over $1,100 of that promised, with some more to arrive every month.

WE CAN AND WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
So good of you to do this la profe. If it comes to the point that you need more donations please give us an update and I am sure more can be provided. Many blessings to you and best wishes for the girl! Ben Jammin'

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
The Cheque, according to Canada Post tracking# RW687383571CA has left Canada and is somewhere in the USA.

Looks like it landed at JFK yesterday - so probably will arrive on Monday. Thanks again, Bob.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Thank you, Anonymous!

I received a check today for $100.00. The memo line said, "Anonymous, please" and that is how I have listed it on the spreadsheet.

There was no identification of a DR1 "handle," so I cannot send a PM acknowledging receipt of the check.

Whoever you are, you are one of Isaida's angels.

Thanks so much,

LP

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
New Updates

I am back in the DR, so anyone who was planning to stop by the office with a donation is welcome!

Isaida and her mother were in my office today. We are going to try to locate a growth chart in Puerto Plata, something like the "tabla de creciemiento" at this link:

Disesa Distribuidora Escolar

and will use it when taking photos to document the effects of the growth hormone. Isaida's mom said that she will update the prescription and price quote, and, hopefully before the end of the week, Isaida will begin receiving the HGH she needs.

I also updated the spreadsheet to reflect donations received at the end of last week.

I have only two email addresses from people who want reminders about monthly donations. If anyone else wants a reminder, please PM me your email address.

For those who are mailing checks, please do not use the NY address since I am in the DR. You can use the Florida address (Business Mail) instead. However, PayPay would be best since the government of the DR has changed the rules for cashing checks. The cambio I use requires that checks less than a thousand dollars be made out to Banco de Santa Cruz. If they arrive in my name, I'll have to send them to the US to be deposited - which will add time.

Thanks so much, everyone, for what we are doing for Isaida.

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the update, Profe. I can drop off my contribution on Friday. What hours will you be in your office?

I believe your idea of charting the growth and taking pics is great! Please continue to keep us informed on the progress of this worthwhile project.

Lindsey

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm in for a monthly payment direct from my bank. I will set up a recurring amount thru my online "bill pay".

Did I miss the address though? Or do I need to send a PM first?

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I'm in for a monthly payment direct from my bank. I will set up a recurring amount thru my online "bill pay".

Did I miss the address though? Or do I need to send a PM first?

If you do it as a bill pay, would it be a direct deposit or a check? That would make a difference as to the address you need.

Thanks so much for joining the group!

LP