man arrested for assaulting 2 canadian women in BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
There are plenty of guys that will risk their job (and freedom), to commit a sexual assault. It happens all the time. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying to themselves, anyone who posts it here is lying to us.

....but they don't do it at their place of employment where the so called victim can identify them.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I have no reason to lie to anybody. If the person is guilty, let him rot in hell. I would never make any excuses for a sexual deviant or predator. All I am stating is that there seems to be holes within this story, as there frequently are with similar stories that relate to tourists. Not just here in the Dominican Republic, but worldwide as well. Femicide, the killing of women here in the Dominican Republic, is a horrific tragedy, but widely reported, and there have been attempts by the government to address it...successful or not. Robberies and sexual violence against female tourists here in the Dominican Republic are not as common as some would have you believe. After the facts are released, MANY of these stories just go away with out any follow ups or convictions. Many times the original report is created to cover up some other embarrassing facts, that only become embarrassing once revealed to others. Again, IF the guy is guilty, let him rot in hell.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
In the same manner that I will not state that these women are lying, I will not state that this man is guilty, and should be taken out back and hung, stoned, and burned.....until ALL the facts have been released. Two paragraphs are not enough to condemn this man, especially with the history of frequent false reporting of such incidents by tourists.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Just some food for thought:
Yesterday, I had lunch in Juan Dolio. While eating at a table, a tourist came in, walked up to the bar, and ordered a drink. He then began complaining to all within earshot that the maid in his aparta/hotel stole his watch. The bartender than handed the man a plastic bag containing his watch, which he had left in the restaurant's bathroom the night before while he was drunk off his rear end. Unfortunately, this happens frequently. If the guy wasn't such a drunk, and needed to wake up with a drink, he probably would have informed the hotel management, then the police, and the maid would have been arrested, fired, and publicly humiliated. For what? The words of a drunk who takes off his watch when he uses the bathroom.

May 5, 2007
Just some food for thought:
Yesterday, I had lunch in Juan Dolio. While eating at a table, a tourist came in, walked up to the bar, and ordered a drink. He then began complaining to all within earshot that the maid in his aparta/hotel stole his watch. The bartender than handed the man a plastic bag containing his watch, which he had left in the restaurant's bathroom the night before while he was drunk off his rear end. Unfortunately, this happens frequently. If the guy wasn't such a drunk, and needed to wake up with a drink, he probably would have informed the hotel management, then the police, and the maid would have been arrested, fired, and publicly humiliated. For what? The words of a drunk who takes off his watch when he uses the bathroom.

wow, what a coincidence Lucky guy

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Very good points sanpedro.More often than not there are other factors, alcohol , a vacation romance that soured because promises and expectations were not met. Landing a administrative job at a hotel is a coveted position here. The employee likely has family depending on his income. It is very unlikely he is going to jeopardize his meal ticket for a quickey from a foreign tourist. Now if it happened in a night club and they said they just met the guy OK possible. Could be wrong but I bet this will fizzle out just like these vacation romances do with senior sanky

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
....but they don't do it at their place of employment where the so called victim can identify them.
There is another thread here, with a very similar title coincidentally, about a hospital worker in Sosua attempting to rape a patient. So yes they do.
I have no reason to lie to anybody. If the person is guilty, let him rot in hell. I would never make any excuses for a sexual deviant or predator. All I am stating is that there seems to be holes within this story, as there frequently are with similar stories that relate to tourists. Not just here in the Dominican Republic, but worldwide as well. Femicide, the killing of women here in the Dominican Republic, is a horrific tragedy, but widely reported, and there have been attempts by the government to address it...successful or not. Robberies and sexual violence against female tourists here in the Dominican Republic are not as common as some would have you believe. After the facts are released, MANY of these stories just go away with out any follow ups or convictions. Many times the original report is created to cover up some other embarrassing facts, that only become embarrassing once revealed to others. Again, IF the guy is guilty, let him rot in hell.
Anybody who expects to read any story in a Dominican newspaper without a few holes in it is asking for too much.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are plenty of guys that will risk their job (and freedom), to commit a sexual assault. It happens all the time. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying to themselves, anyone who posts it here is lying to us.

Like who (m) ????

Bill Cosby......??

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....Anybody who expects to read any story in a Dominican newspaper without a few holes in it is asking for too much.

Here is the swiss cheese article as posted in the newspapaper.

Apart-hotel manager is lead suspect in Canadian tourist robbery

The Police arrested on Saturday, 29-year old Yoshua Rafael Alvarez Ortega, the manager of an apart-hotel where two Canadians were staying in Boca Chica. The man is accused of robbery and attempted rape against one of the victims. The Police said the women were 50 and 44 years old, but their names are omitted to protect their identity. As reported, the manager entered their apartment and stole $175 Canadian dollars and US$150 dollars, and one of the women was able to stop the sexual assault. The Police say that the investigation continues.

https://www.metrord.do/do/destacado/...anadiense.html

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How anyone can come up with a guilty verdict based upon that little bit of information is beyond me. I believe there are always two sides to a story and somewhere in between is the truth.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
In this country it usually takes considerable input from someone with the victim's interest at heart to obtain a conviction. Especially if the victim is an expat or a tourist, so I don't think we have to worry about that. Then there is that if it's a sexual assault case the victim has to sit and be trashed as a whore by the defendant.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
There was once this young guy who was caught pants down while trying to "get cozy" with a granny. She must have been late 70's. I guess that for some extremely horny guys, popola is popola, and it's a terrible thing to waste. So, it's not that impossible that this could have happened to these Canadians- Not saying it happened and that the guy is guilty, just that it's not that improbable!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
There was once this young guy who was caught pants down while trying to "get cozy" with a granny. She must have been late 70's. I guess that for some extremely horny guys, popola is popola, and it's a terrible thing to waste. So, it's not that impossible that this could have happened to these Canadians- Not saying it happened and that the guy is guilty, just that it's not as improbable!

Well, common sense would say, a safe and good job he might not risk it. Granted. But, yep we are in the DR, so.... brain might not have been involved.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
In this country it usually takes considerable input from someone with the victim's interest at heart to obtain a conviction. Especially if the victim is an expat or a tourist, so I don't think we have to worry about that. Then there is that if it's a sexual assault case the victim has to sit and be trashed as a whore by the defendant.

Please provide examples of the cases in which you speak of, here in the Dominican Republic. Please leave names out, but provide cases, and the locations, and years they occurred. Because the above statement is utter claptrap.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
If I were you ladies, or men with ladies, or men that want to be ladies, I'd be more concerned about the foreign mongers that roam around the Dominican Republic, and other countries, rather than actual Dominican men themselves. They're called mongers for a reason. You have some serious creepy crawlies roaming around this country.....foreign born. Old school trench coat perverts, who traded in their trench coat big city ways, for a bathing suit and a foreign accent. Dominicans do not have fences and security installed around their community playgrounds due to other Dominicans. Dominicans don't have rules on the books providing protocol for adults to leave the country with children due to other Dominicans. Dominicans look at some tourists with disdain for a reason, and they are right.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Please provide examples of the cases in which you speak of, here in the Dominican Republic. Please leave names out, but provide cases, and the locations, and years they occurred. Because the above statement is utter claptrap.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/152703-man-arrested-for-trying-to-rape-a-canadian-woman
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/148106-Perla-Sosua-Where-is-Brent/page99?highlight=bret+lewis

These are the only successful prosecutions of crimes by Dominicans against foreigners that I've read about. Both had significant participation from the victims or other parties that represented their interests. Got any examples of cases where the Dominican "Justice" system took it upon themselves to prosecute a Dominican crime against a foreigner if the case didn't fall right into their lap. There are plenty of examples of unsolved murders in the forums of this website, but I'm not going to look them up for you. You can always blame the victim of a rape if she survives, but you can't argue with a dead body.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
No evidence reported about forced entry, injuries or witness information that saw him entering a room and her friend stopped the attack. Sounds like a party that went bad, an argument, not a sexual assault. This place loves to print gory details and there are none, very odd.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/152703-man-arrested-for-trying-to-rape-a-canadian-woman
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/148106-Perla-Sosua-Where-is-Brent/page99?highlight=bret+lewis

These are the only successful prosecutions of crimes by Dominicans against foreigners that I've read about. Both had significant participation from the victims or other parties that represented their interests. Got any examples of cases where the Dominican "Justice" system took it upon themselves to prosecute a Dominican crime against a foreigner if the case didn't fall right into their lap. There are plenty of examples of unsolved murders in the forums of this website, but I'm not going to look them up for you. You can always blame the victim of a rape if she survives, but you can't argue with a dead body.

These are the only successful prosecutions of crimes by Dominicans against foreigners that you've read about? I would dare to say that this is very selective reading on your part. You made a very sweeping statement against authorities here in the Dominican Republic, on a public forum, please back it up with facts. I don't want to hear about the monger who gets robbed blind while crawling around some barrio at 4 in the morning looking for teenage girls. I don't want to hear about the fella or gal who takes some stranger back to their hotel room after a night of partying, and realizes all cash and valuables are gone the next afternoon. I'm talking about direct Dominican on tourist violence, and the lack of follow up to such, as you so boldly allude to. Unsolved murders? Most murders reported on here, are also followed up at later points in time with updates to the respective cases (Thank you Mods, especially dv8, for staying on top of such, it is noticed and appreciated). The horrible murder of the American businessman which you mention above.....was committed by another American. The role others played in it, was exposed in a court of law, but make no mistake, that poor man died at the hands of one of his own countrymen. The same could be said for 3 or 4 senior citizen men of European origin here on the south coast. Old vendettas from their homeland, regardless of how long, caught up to them, by their own countrymen. If we are only going to use DR1 as a resource for information, please backtrack, and fact find a little further, just a wee bit, and look into the kidnapping that wasn't. Now that makes for good reading. Crack open a cold one, or uncork a bottle of wine for that one. Or, if it's early, a good pot of coffee. Yep, those foreigners and expats, just sitting here as easy prey for those big, bad, Dominicans....and their horrible justice system.

May 5, 2007
Damm women should not be allowed out after dark and made to wear chastity belts It's all their fault, poor men succumbing to their evil charms No problem at all telling which posters have been burned by a woman, marriage or a relationship otherwise

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

These are the only successful prosecutions of crimes by Dominicans against foreigners that I've read about. Both had significant participation from the victims or other parties that represented their interests. Got any examples of cases where the Dominican "Justice" system took it upon themselves to prosecute a Dominican crime against a foreigner if the case didn't fall right into their lap.
Actually, for the average Dominican, it's the same thing. It also requires significant participation and efforts from the victim, someone who cares and is persistent, to represent their interests, lots of postponed hearings, time, resources, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.