Marco Rubio (Republican Senator - Florida) mentions the DR (not good!)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Off topic deleted. Infraction points given.

Your on 9 points right now. One more infraction and your access to the forums will be blocked for 30 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's because in the DR there is a class war. The rich and educated look down on the poor. Yes, the nationalism is a good part of it as the industrialize nations have taken advantage of Latin American nations for decades. They see these idiots and their ideology as the way things should be where everyone is playing on a fair playing field. Cuba did not remain communist all these years because they loved it. They were forced to endure the hardships. the honeymoon probably lasted a dozen years until normal things were no longer available to average Cubans. Your friend quickly adopted the democratic and capitalist values because they saw that having freedom outlast any other form of government.

This man is and has always been a middle class, educated, fairly prosperous conservative from smalltown DR. I'm sure he still admires Che and Fidel but does not see the contradictions.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This man is and has always been a middle class, educated, fairly prosperous conservative from smalltown DR. I'm sure he still admires Che and Fidel but does not see the contradictions.
Then he doesn't know who the real Che & Fidel were.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The only ideology is jeepetology.

All the political parties in the DR have one thing in common! That is to rob the national treasury blind when they win the election. That's all it's about, not serving the "Patria". I know a few and that is what is all about. Campaign, win, and get a nice post where you can divert the funds to your personal piggy bank. Even when the guy running for president is honest, his staff does not miss a beat with robbing the country. After every election there is always a corruption scandal.

that's a given. the roots of mama-san PRD are long rotten and forgotten. now it's all about yapping loudly by the mouth while the hands grab whatever they can. everyone equally, regardless of the party they come from.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Off topic deleted. Infraction points given.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Then he doesn't know who the real Che & Fidel were.
I am sure he does, but his Latin American nationalism takes precedence over left vs. right ideology - the point I was making by citing his example.

Chirimoya said:
I once posted about this on DR1 but in the Cuban context. A Dominican friend, a PRSC voter, had framed portraits of Che and Fidel on his living room wall alongside Balaguer. It made me realise that this was an expression of his Latin American nationalism - and to an extent an anti-US sentiment - which overrides right vs. left ideologies or allegiances. As a footnote - all these years later this friend is living in NY and has acquired US citizenship.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am sure he does, but his Latin American nationalism takes precedence over left vs. right ideology - the point I was making by citing his example.
I don't see how slaughtering people for political power is "left/right."

Sep 4, 2012

I believe is the false propaganda over the years, mixed with lack of knowledge rather than any nationalism.

I once caught a Puerto Rican wearing a Che t-shirt, I asked him why and who the person was?

"Yo no se "

Was the answer provided.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't see how slaughtering people for political power is "left/right."
It isn't the exclusive domain of either, unfortunately - as has been evident during the last few decades of Latin American history.

However, this is not an argument about the rights and wrongs of right or left - I'm not blind to either - but an attempt to explain a fairly common mindset where Latin American nationalism (often linked to/expressed as anti-Americanism) transcends these ideologies.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It isn't the exclusive domain of either, unfortunately - as has been evident during the last few decades of Latin American history.

However, this is not an argument about the rights and wrongs of right or left - I'm not blind to either - but an attempt to explain a fairly common mindset where Latin American nationalism (often linked to/expressed as anti-Americanism) transcends these ideologies.
Is slaughter for political purposes part of the pride of Latin American "nationalism?"

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is that the point here? Not endorsing his mindset, just pointing out that it is common, contradictions and all. For all I know he also be an admirer of Pinochet and Somoza, but ran out of picture frames. He might also be a trujillista - many balagueristas are/were - but chose not to advertise it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This Marco Rubio story is old news. It was published in DR1 news at the end of March

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/161355-DR1-Daily-News-Wednesday-29-March-2017

At the end of May DR1 news also published details of the proposed budget cuts by the US to the DR and the rest of Latin America.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/161927-DR1-Daily-News-Wednesday-24-May-2017

Can I recommend those of who who need the news in English to read the DR1 news which is accurate and well written and appears much earlier in the morning than it used to.

Matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Is that the point here? Not endorsing his mindset, just pointing out that it is common, contradictions and all. For all I know he also be an admirer of Pinochet and Somoza, but ran out of picture frames. He might also be a trujillista - many balagueristas are/were - but chose not to advertise it.
You said he was educated. Obviously he's not.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Por favor....... DR related posts only.   

Several have already received infractions in this thread.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I even mentioned the DR in my post and still got an infraction. Very touchy moderators.

No, it was me. And yes, I'm a little bored, as are some mods of having to cat herd posters that should no better.

Some act like kids, so I guess the only thing we can do is treat them like kids. Sad, but true.

Carry on...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You said he was educated. Obviously he's not.

"Educated" as in he has a university degree - but not in history or political science.

This - and being in the DR generally - taught me two things: not everyone defines the world according to those neat little left-right compartments and people's political allegiances are not just shaped by ideology.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This Marco Rubio story is old news. It was published in DR1 news at the end of March

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/161355-DR1-Daily-News-Wednesday-29-March-2017

At the end of May DR1 news also published details of the proposed budget cuts by the US to the DR and the rest of Latin America.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/161927-DR1-Daily-News-Wednesday-24-May-2017

Can I recommend those of who who need the news in English to read the DR1 news which is accurate and well written and appears much earlier in the morning than it used to.

Matilda

Matilda, the vote at the OAS took place recently. What I posted was published in his twitter account on June 22.

IMG_1206.jpg

He probably said something back in March as an attempt to influence the three countries, but all three turn a deaf ear to his request.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda, the vote at the OAS took place recently. What I posted was published in his twitter account on June 22.

IMG_1206.jpg

He probably said something back in March as an attempt to influence the three countries, but all three turn a deaf ear to his request.

Yes he said the same thing back in March: "Ahead of Tuesday's meeting, Florida Senator Marco Rubio threatened El Salvador, the Dominican Republic and Haiti, saying that if they did not vote in favor of invoking the Democratic Charter, US aid to those countries could be suspended. "

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes he said the same thing back in March: "Ahead of Tuesday's meeting, Florida Senator Marco Rubio threatened El Salvador, the Dominican Republic and Haiti, saying that if they did not vote in favor of invoking the Democratic Charter, US aid to those countries could be suspended. "

Matilda

that is a regular practice...