Married to Dominicana. Obtaining DR Citizenship.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
If you already have your DR residency, you can apply for citizenship. If you don't, you have to start residency back in home country to get it and then, after 6 months I believe, you can apply for citizenship.

Exactly how I did mine. First you have to get the temporary residency to get the process started. Back when I did it I didn't have to go back to the States to start that part but it seems that now you must start it within your home country because some of the paperwork can no longer be completed here or mailed. I think the big thing is because you must stop by a Dominican consulate in your home country. So I was lucky that I did not have to do that.

After you have residency for six months you can begin the citizenship process. Until your citizenship is ready you must keep your residency up to date. That means renewing it every year and if it takes too long to complete your citizenship you may get permanent residency after four years. The first one must also be renewed in one year and then after that you renew it every four years. My citizenship came rather quickly, but my understanding is that it takes much longer now, mostly due to Interpol delays.

The process is relatively the same for the permanent residency and the citizenship as it is for the initial temporary residency. You need medical exam, drug screen, etc. but they are basic things. Residency renewals don't require any of that. The difference with citizenship is they do the Interpol check and you have to take a test which you can prepare for and is pretty easy and the oath which is also easy.

I did the entire process on my own with help from my wife. We didn't try to bribe to push anything along faster than it should be but I let her be the persistent one and do the talking when it seemed like we were getting the run around. When I did mine the migration department was a circular mess of disorganization. Not sure if it has gotten better or worse with their recent changes.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Exactly how I did mine. First you have to get the temporary residency to get the process started. Back when I did it I didn't have to go back to the States to start that part but it seems that now you must start it within your home country because some of the paperwork can no longer be completed here or mailed. I think the big thing is because you must stop by a Dominican consulate in your home country. So I was lucky that I did not have to do that.

Hmmm if it is the same difficulty as residency, maybe I will just do residency.

I am a few blocks away from DR consulate in MIA and know the vice consul. I guess it is time for a visit.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hmmm if it is the same difficulty as residency, maybe I will just do residency.

I am a few blocks away from DR consulate in MIA and know the vice consul. I guess it is time for a visit.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Residency is more difficult in the long run because you have to renew periodically with changing requirements which include paperwork, medical exam, etc and it can only be done in Santo Domingo.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And if I grasped the concept correctly, one needs 6 months + of residency.
And 6 months and 1 day left on current residency.
So, after ure first residency, u have to renew once ( at least ) before u can start citizenship process.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
If you can afford to use a lawyer, do so! If you have ever been down to the immigration center in Santo Domingo it is a nightmare. You can't even hear if they call your name and number at a booth because everyone there talks as if they were outdoors, including a bunch of lawyers who sit in an area by the windows asking who did the other lawyers hair and nails!!!! Good luck!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Didn't have time to visit DR consulate. I do think that some lawyers have avenues to get stuff done more quickly. Whether they bribe, know shortcuts, or just friends in right places I have no idea.
Getting my wife's visa, we used a lawyer after I had already filed via DCF. On another forum dedicated to bringing dominicans to US, they all say my case was an exception as it was all done very quickly.
DCF on 31 of march, visa approved june 2 and visa in hand june 10. Landed in Miami june 15.

Lawyer only cost 800 bucks so doubt any bribes were involved but I am happy with the service and turn around. Even had SS card delivered before we got to my UPS store to pick up mail.

Wife says same lawyer does DR residency etc. Will contact him today.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

After you have residency for six months you can begin the citizenship process. Until your citizenship is ready you must keep your residency up to date. That means renewing it every year and if it takes too long to complete your citizenship you may get permanent residency after four years. The first one must also be renewed in one year and then after that you renew it every four years. My citizenship came rather quickly, but my understanding is that it takes much longer now, mostly due to Interpol delays.

The process is relatively the same for the permanent residency and the citizenship as it is for the initial temporary residency. You need medical exam, drug screen, etc. but they are basic things. Residency renewals don't require any of that. The difference with citizenship is they do the Interpol check and you have to take a test which you can prepare for and is pretty easy and the oath which is also easy.

I did the entire process on my own with help from my wife. We didn't try to bribe to push anything along faster than it should be but I let her be the persistent one and do the talking when it seemed like we were getting the run around. When I did mine the migration department was a circular mess of disorganization. Not sure if it has gotten better or worse with their recent changes.

I'm at the process of just waiting for my police checks to be completed and then the oath. Other than a couple of small paperwork hiccups the process has been easy.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I'm at the process of just waiting for my police checks to be completed and then the oath. Other than a couple of small paperwork hiccups the process has been easy.

Have an appointment with lawyer tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. He is telling my wife that as long as I have recent entry, no need to start the process in US.
Red Flag? Hope not.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Bob, which police check are you waiting for?

If this is an Interpol police check, then chances are it is a delaying tactic. I know that some official processes mention this as a requirement. I cannot speak for every country in the world, but I know for a fact after speaking with the nice ladies in the Interpol office at the Ministerio de Interior y Policia, that despite their assurances that they do submit requests for Canadians, Interpol in Canada has yet to return a single report, ever.

Usually after a Canadian has been made to wait a sufficient period of time, the requirement for a current Canadian record check is either summarily waved, or the applicant is instructed to get and submit it their own.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is a delaying tactic. They never ask Interpol or submit any request. The current wait for citizenship is 2 years following date of interview. This is due to the number of people applying. If you want to speed it up and go through the hassle and the cost, you provide your own apostilled or legalized police check from your home country. If not, you wait 2 years from interview date for date of swearing in. In the meantime, you can get a letter (cost RD$1,000) to say you are in process which you can show to migracion when you leave the country to avoid paying overstay or to nasty migracion officers who stop you to see if you are legal.

Matilda

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you want to speed it up and go through the hassle and the cost, you provide your own apostilled or legalized police check from your home country.
Interesting.

How is this check any different from the statement of good behavior from local foreign LE for residency?

And if you've lived in the DR for a number of years, can you still obtain such a document?

Can a private citizen obtain a "good conduct" certificate from Interpol on their own?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Interesting.

How is this check any different from the statement of good behavior from local foreign LE for residency?

And if you've lived in the DR for a number of years, can you still obtain such a document?

Can a private citizen obtain a "good conduct" certificate from Interpol on their own?

When you go for citizenship and pass the interview they say congratulations, now we have to do DNI checks, DNCD and Interpol. It will take six months. Come back in 6 months, check progress and we will give you date of swearing in. In my case I called and DNI and DNCD were done in 2 months (they said). Then every 2 weeks, phone calls, friendly lawyer visits ( I didn't use a lawyer to do it as very simple), and still the same. Interpol not back. Checked UK Interpol - never had a request. I know that Bob then got a police letter from Canada and that worked for him. Interestingly the UK police say they can't give me a police report as I have been in the DR for 16 years! So I wait and no you can't get an Interpol report on your own. Only option is a new police report duly apostilled and translated. Or be Dominican and wait. The next time I go and see them will tell them my padrino, who is the DR ambassador in Washington, José Tomas Perez wants me to go and see him and I need citizenship to leave the country. Will see if that works!

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting.

After believing their bull for the better part of a year about my Interpol report just about ready my wife talked to a police major and she told us to obtain an RCMP criminal record check and it would be accepted as the Interpol check. I contacted a private company in Halifax and got me a RCMP record check through the Amherst Nova Scotia city police department. Took that to the Canadian Embassy and had it legalized. Olga, Matilda's friend, a licensed translator then translated it and took to the two Dominican government offices that need to legalize and tax it. Then off to police headquarters and presented to the same Major. Two weeks later told that I can pay my 5000 for the oath....etc. Got a receipt that says February and now just waiting for the phone that gives me the date to swear the oath. After that the cedula, birth certificate and possibly the passaporte.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
After believing their bull for the better part of a year about my Interpol report just about ready my wife talked to a police major and she told us to obtain an RCMP criminal record check and it would be accepted as the Interpol check. I contacted a private company in Halifax and got me a RCMP record check through the Amherst Nova Scotia city police department. Took that to the Canadian Embassy and had it legalized. Olga, Matilda's friend, a licensed translator then translated it and took to the two Dominican government offices that need to legalize and tax it. Then off to police headquarters and presented to the same Major. Two weeks later told that I can pay my 5000 for the oath....etc. Got a receipt that says February and now just waiting for the phone that gives me the date to swear the oath. After that the cedula, birth certificate and possibly the passaporte.

The date should be the third Thursday in the month - every month. However my sources are telling me that once you are told you will have the date - (wait for it) - it takes another year. The room only holds so many people apparently. Good luck Bob! And yes after that is birth certificate - make sure you have parents' birth details ie passports showing country of birth or they won't issue birth cert as needs parents id number and nationality (usually cedula but in foreigners case social security number or passport number - that is a heads up -, then cedula in your maiden name if a woman. If a married woman once you have cedula then you need to take marriage cert and get cedula changed into married name. Then, should you want it - passport.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The date should be the third Thursday in the month - every month. However my sources are telling me that once you are told you will have the date - (wait for it) - it takes another year. The room only holds so many people apparently. Good luck Bob! And yes after that is birth certificate - make sure you have parents' birth details ie passports showing country of birth or they won't issue birth cert as needs parents id number and nationality (usually cedula but in foreigners case social security number or passport number - that is a heads up -, then cedula in your maiden name if a woman. If a married woman once you have cedula then you need to take marriage cert and get cedula changed into married name. Then, should you want it - passport.

Matilda

You could very well be right, however the receipt does say February, of course it doesn't say what year. LOL
I have my parents marriage certificate from 67 years ago and their Social insurance numbers. No passports as they have never has passports. It will probably cause no end of confusion as per normal. I do already have a letter from the JCE stating that the it is normal in Canada for married woman to drop their maiden name and take their husbands.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Matilda

I have my date, the 23rd of February. Can you take the paper directly to get your BC the same day if you have all the info.