Married to Dominicana. Obtaining DR Citizenship.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob, which police check are you waiting for?

If this is an Interpol police check, then chances are it is a delaying tactic. I know that some official processes mention this as a requirement. I cannot speak for every country in the world, but I know for a fact after speaking with the nice ladies in the Interpol office at the Ministerio de Interior y Policia, that despite their assurances that they do submit requests for Canadians, Interpol in Canada has yet to return a single report, ever.

Usually after a Canadian has been made to wait a sufficient period of time, the requirement for a current Canadian record check is either summarily waved, or the applicant is instructed to get and submit it their own.

Well, that seems to be exactly what happened. Wasted the better part of year waiting for a report that was never going to come. Ottawa told be they never received any request from the Dominican government.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Doesn't surprise me at all. I find it inexcusable that MIP continues to request reports that they know they will not receive. Because it suites the bureaucrats they choose not to inform the applicant that they should get their own report if they would like to continue with the application. Would save a lot of time and frustration. When you contact the MIP it's always , "we are waiting, thanks for your money gringo..."

I have long suspected that DGM has stopped even requesting the Interpol checks, knowing that doing so is a waste of time. You are not the first foreigner that I have heard that has been able to establish that no such request from the DGM was ever made.

Infuriating to say the least. Recently, it cost me $900 Cdn to get a record check. $875 for the flight home and $25.00 for the check. I am hopefully now just weeks away from finishing a process that has been ongoing for 20 months, despite me checking in with the buffoons every four weeks. It was not until I showed up with a lawyer, a General and a friend that MIP realized the jig was up and I was not going to be stalled any longer. Only then did they explain the ongoing delay and what was needed to clear the hurdle, something that could have and should have been addressed some 16 months ago. 

I feel your pain. You'll get your citizenship eventually, but you'll feel like you've been made run a marathon before you do - completely necessary if people would just do their jobs and communicate honestly.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I have requested residency per matrimonio. I had my interview on 8 Marzo 2016. Passed with flying colors.  I am told I am waiting on Interpol. 
My residencia temporal and cédula expired at the end of July 2016. I have a letter from MIP that says I have requested nationalization and they have received answers from DNCD and DNI.
Every time I call they say call back in 3 weeks.  
So far so good, it is just like everyone else.

So my questions are .... is this letter from MIP valid forever? this can continue for years? If the RCMP security check helps, can they not use the one I submitted with the original residency or do i need a new one?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't know what to tell you. I am sure you have read posts #52 and #64. I suspect you will be "checking in" every three weeks for quite some time.

Bringing pressure to bear by way of someone with influence may help shorten the time, your results may vary. 

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have requested residency per matrimonio. I had my interview on 8 Marzo 2016. Passed with flying colors.  I am told I am waiting on Interpol. 
My residencia temporal and cédula expired at the end of July 2016. I have a letter from MIP that says I have requested nationalization and they have received answers from DNCD and DNI.
Every time I call they say call back in 3 weeks.  
So far so good, it is just like everyone else.

So my questions are .... is this letter from MIP valid forever? this can continue for years? If the RCMP security check helps, can they not use the one I submitted with the original residency or do i need a new one?
Do not wait any longer for Interpol.
You will need a new one but dont require the fingerprints...etc just a criminal record check. You then need to have it certified /legalized by the Canadian embassy. Then translated into Spanish and certified by the Dominican external affairs. I used Olga a friend of Matidas who is an official translator. She will do the whole process for a reasonable price. You will have to take the document to the embassy.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Good morning. This is an update on waiting for my naturalization. I still had my translation of my FBI report from South Carolina with an apostille. So I took that to the MIP in Santo Domingo The receptionist sent me to the 3rd floor where the office that works with Interpol is located. That floor is the most secure floor that I have seen in that building. Many armed military personnel there. Have to go through active metal detector and be buzzed into doors. The lady in the office was very helpful. She looked up my name on the computer and could see they had an active request into Interpol I was able to see that for myself on her screen. She took my translation of my FBI report and said she will attempt to use that to get my background check passed.She told me to check back in 2-3 weeks. So with fingers crossed and hoping this will resolve the problem. She also said that they send request to Interpol but can only send them to a whom it may concern. So there is no particular individual there to talk with.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I had the letter saying my naturalization was in process. I used it last year (Aug 2016) when leaving the DR. I had no problem, did not have to pay overstay. I came back to DR in Dec 2016 and left again in April 2017. This time the letter was refused and I had to pay overstay fees. That was in POP. Any chance of getting that overstay fee back? Of course both my residency card and cedilla were expired. When I return to the DR I will have the criminal check from the RCMP and will hopefully finalize the citizenship. 

It is a delaying tactic. They never ask Interpol or submit any request. The current wait for citizenship is 2 years following date of interview. This is due to the number of people applying. If you want to speed it up and go through the hassle and the cost, you provide your own apostilled or legalized police check from your home country. If not, you wait 2 years from interview date for date of swearing in. In the meantime, you can get a letter (cost RD$1,000) to say you are in process which you can show to migracion when you leave the country to avoid paying overstay or to nasty migracion officers who stop you to see if you are legal.

Matilda

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I had the letter saying my naturalization was in process. I used it last year (Aug 2016) when leaving the DR. I had no problem, did not have to pay overstay. I came back to DR in Dec 2016 and left again in April 2017. This time the letter was refused and I had to pay overstay fees. That was in POP. Any chance of getting that overstay fee back? Of course both my residency card and cedilla were expired. When I return to the DR I will have the criminal check from the RCMP and will hopefully finalize the citizenship. 

Immigration has been making a blanket rule that any foreigner in the country over thirty days, no matter why, pays overstay. It doesn't matter if you have a visa good for a year, or, in your case, that your citizenship is in process. You pay.

Someone I know, a highly placed Dominican, told me less than a month ago, that the overstay fees have become a business. It is just a moneymaking process now, with no logical thought behind it since people who entered on bases other than a tourist card are being charged the tourist card overstay fee.

There is no way you will be refunded that money. The DR is the land of "no refunds."

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Any chance of getting that overstay fee back? NO.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Immigration has been making a blanket rule that any foreigner in the country over thirty days, no matter why, pays overstay. It doesn't matter if you have a visa good for a year, or, in your case, that your citizenship is in process. You pay.

Someone I know, a highly placed Dominican, told me less than a month ago, that the overstay fees have become a business. It is just a moneymaking process now, with no logical thought behind it since people who entered on bases other than a tourist card are being charged the tourist card overstay fee.

There is no way you will be refunded that money. The DR is the land of "no refunds."

Incorrect, I have gone in and out of the country three times in the past year as recently as March while undergoing the citizenship process. My Cedula was locked as my residency had expired but with my in-process letter from immigration and police absolutely no problems and no payment.
Neargale, your letter might not of been accepted because it was expired, as in more than a year old and not signed by the new ministers.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Incorrect, I have gone in and out of the country three times in the past year as recently as March while undergoing the citizenship process. My Cedula was locked as my residency had expired but with my in-process letter from immigration and police absolutely no problems and no payment.
Neargale, your letter might not of been excepted because it was expired, as in more than a year old and not signed by the new ministers.

I have been charged the overstay fee several times even though I entered and left the country on an unexpired visa good for a year . It is most certainly not incorrect.

Neargale recounted a situation in which he, while in the process of naturalization, was also charged. How is that not the truth?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been charged the overstay fee several times even though I entered and left the country on an unexpired visa good for a year . It is most certainly not incorrect.

Neargale recounted a situation in which he, while in the process of naturalization, was also charged. How is that not the truth?

You said in ALL cases including those undergoing citizenship, which I clearly proved to you is incorrect. I am not doubting what happened to you one bit. I just gave one explanation why he would be charged if his police/immigration letter was stamped more than a year ago it would have expired and he would have had to get another one.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I last entered the DR in April of this year. I questioned the Migracion officer about the 30 days and being charged the fee. She told me in no uncertain terms that all foreigners pay the fee after 30 days. No exceptions.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I last entered the DR in April of this year. I questioned the Migracion officer about the 30 days and being charged the fee. She told me in no uncertain terms that all foreigners pay the fee after 30 days. No exceptions.

I guess I am the exception to the rule. I have entered and left from POP, STI, and Santo Domingo- never been even asked about paying.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Slight edit to above post. Rule doesn't apply to residents.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
WW left not that long ago, also en proceso for naturalization. If he had been charged, we all would have heard the reaction.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
The letter was dated Aug 2016 so less than 1 year ago. The day before I left I checked again and the Interpol had not come in as we knew it would not have. I did not ask about the letter. I will call them.  When at POP I requested that the supervisor call Migration in SD. They disappeared for 2 mins and came back to tell me that I had to pay. They gave me a receipt (!). The man said I could get refunded at Migration but did not know from whom.  Another 4,000 pesos wasted.