METRO - Looks like some of us had a clue?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
The Reality that's totally ignored:

The 200,000 ridership was correct! BUT!!!! And here is the pivotal point being ignored by even our own DR1 efficient staff:

The 200,000 daily ridership was the correct/founded/studied/agreed number of riders once ALL the primary lines of the SD Metro were IN service. Not line 1 alone as currently it operates... Not without the feeder system as it today operates... Most importantly NOT under the government's direct administration as today it operates...

As a matter of fact today ridership is averaging 65,000 + on weekdays and 40,000 + on weekends for LINE 1 ALONE!!!!!

Information provided half way is called "Misinformation"....

The feeder buses are NOT in operation for two (2) reasons:

#1- Buying buses to place the feeder routes directly by the gov, would create a conflict of interest and control once the SD Metro system is administered by the semi private-public entity that will take over operations. Any purchase and operation of the buses will entail that the gov would put the semi private -public administrators and system, to the exposure of cash flow, funding, drivers and support contract for the personnel operating the lines, validating of riders with rail system, etc...

#2 - Feeder buses are the primary fall back to the system, should it become inoperable at any given time frame during work hours. Stranding thousands of riders in platforms without the means to get to work using the same routes and fees paid.

The feeder buses will be the primary system the SD Metro will rely on for operations, thus making it imperative that it's under full and direct control of the service and bus infrastructure. Think NYC's MTA, which handles Bus, Rail, Metro and regional interlinks from one control source...

The SD Metro is not even in full operational capacity (understand all the planned lines as projected for a 200,000 + ridership once it completes the phased plan) with barely a few months of operation, yet we fail to hear that the Puerto Rico Metro (ATI) is barely hanging much lower after YEARS operations and 80% loss in operational revenues. Compare apples to apples, not apples (SD Metro) to lemons (conchos)...

To put it a bit more clear for those not so good on fruity math: The SD Metro is the first Metro system built to reach operational capacity of less than 40% of projected service length, and still provide over 30% target ridership in less than 12 months of operations!!!! That's for ANY new metro system built ANYWHERE in the world, including the NYC Metro...

The figures offered by OPRET are the definitive lions share of the SD Metro construction costs per Km. The IDB is providing the figures that INLCUDE the actual work on roads, paving, peripheral construction that was undertaken as the Metro construction went on. These works were slated to take place with or without the Metro being built. The gov decided to include them in the contracts offered for bids, in an attempt to get maximum value for the loaned buck, and it did...

That's like saying that your home that your building, is costing 100 million pesos, but the access road to it is in shambles and for your kids to cross the road a mini bridge is the safer option, over a super speeder running them over your avenue. You decide that including a rework of the access road and a mini bridge is in order to complement your new home. When you sell the house what do you think you can include as expenses to build it to a new buyer? The road access? The bridge? Ask him if that's part of the house he's buying and paying for... Those are secondary peripheral upgrades that were called for, not needed or mandated/planned/projected/included as part of the house construction costs...

What Edwin doesn't says is that the allocation to the Metro by the Gov in the national budget, includes the aforementioned upgrades taking place still after the metro stations were built and the inclusion of funds for city and cabildos to make up for the extra stuff that's now needed to be kept and maintained under the responsibility of the public services and not the Metro. Think that all those columns and surroundings to Metro stations, infrastructure, etc... now need to be properly serviced and maintained on street level, not in the system... Not even to include the security afforded to the system in it, which is the primary responsibility of the gov, NOT the Metro administration....

Without adding that everything that needs to address peripheral or services created as the Metro was built, needs to be made from scratch for a system that wasn?t there to begin with. You can't provide services for something that didn't exist before with something that doesn't exist as well to that end. That's included in that "budget" allocation...

Why would you sit with a "reporter" that will anyhow use what he wants and not the whole picture as it's?

If OPRET or the gov was to address and sit with every reporter in the DR that "investigated" and "reported" as this guy did on the METRO SYSTEM, it would need to appoint a 20,000 member staff, ministers and all to handle the daily and hourly "sit" ins needed to clear their "investigations"...

Truly I expected much more than this terrible coverage from DR1!

Since the first second OPRET offered the 200,000 expected daily ridership, it worded the figure correctly to the "ONCE THE LINES ARE IN OPERATION" not "LINE 1 IS IN OPERATION"....

Problem is that "OUR" reporters are analphabets that need to think critically before using their thumbs to type their "reports" in the PC for editors...

Where should I now put DR1 on this one here????

Yeag, but it still sucks....

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Metro is ranked as one of the success stories of the PLD government. To the credit of Leonel Fernandez. Also credit goes to Diandino Pena who amidst accusations of overvaluation and what you may want to say has delivered a quality train system. The metro allows people to arrive rested where they are going. The trains are packed.
And regarding overvaluation, during this government there have been checks on the spending. I speak from first hand knowledge. My husband was invited to be part of the "veeduria" group and speaks highly of the construction and the work carried out by Diandino Pena. He said that the Veeduria group has been efficient in stopping overspending. The group called for an end to "emergency" contracting and this was accepted by OPRET, among other measures.
I think Santo Domingo will be blessed with more lines and it will make a BIG difference with other cities.
Those of you who have been to Bogota can tell how a metro makes all the difference in the liveability of a city.
The decision of whether there will be more metro lines is not the decision, it is where the next line will be laid. There is a push to go ahead with the short line that heads to the Colonial City. Many of the hotels and residences are now located in the Poligono Central, and a line to the Colonial City would put everyone 10 minutes away.
Go metro, go!

May 12, 2005
My take on the Metro is that it was a good project at the wrong time. I know that it is well liked by those that use it and the trains are full. However, there are so many other pressing infrastructure needs that could have been taken care of with that money. Then afterwards a subway could have been considered.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My take on the Metro is that it was a good project at the wrong time. I know that it is well liked by those that use it and the trains are full. However, there are so many other pressing infrastructure needs that could have been taken care of with that money. Then afterwards a subway could have been considered.

absolutely, Frank. most pressing is to bring the education system up to 20th century standards. even that would be nice. it is a matter of priorities. it would be nice to have a ridership wherein all the people could read the signs.

priorities, priorities. i am tired of people asking me if Jamaica is suffering the same snowstorm conditions that the northeast of the US is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
MAYBE THE MONEY COULD BE SPENT ON PUBLIC HEALTH, EDUCATION, clean water,just to name a FEW!!!!!!!!
I HAVE TWO SONS THAT RIDE THE METRO TO UNIV. EVERYDAY.
I'M SURE THEy, LIKE THE OTHERS WHO BENEFIT FROM THE LINE LIKE IT too!
The question that we will NEVER have the answer to is, how much did it cost to build, and how much it the annual subsidy to keep it rolling???????????????????????
Why did the DR pay 4 million dollars per car, when two other countries only paid 2 million per car????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
MAYBE THE MONEY COULD BE SPENT ON PUBLIC HEALTH, EDUCATION, clean water,just to name a FEW!!!!!!!!
I HAVE TWO SONS THAT RIDE THE METRO TO UNIV. EVERYDAY.
I'M SURE THEy, LIKE THE OTHERS WHO BENEFIT FROM THE LINE LIKE IT too!
The question that we will NEVER have the answer to is, how much did it cost to build, and how much it the annual subsidy to keep it rolling???????????????????????
Why did the DR pay 4 million dollars per car, when two other countries only paid 2 million per car????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

you know the answer to that, CC. the prices of jeepetas keep going up. you cant have a Dominican politico driving a two year old jeepeta. that is simply not polite.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I did my part. I rode the Metro today. 20 peso per ride if you use the metro card, 35 pesos if you pay cash. A bargain at the higher price for the cleanliness and a/c alone. Traffic in SD is still just too much. If I lived there, being close to a metro station would be high on my list of "must haves".

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I did my part. I rode the Metro today. 20 peso per ride if you use the metro card, 35 pesos if you pay cash. A bargain at the higher price for the cleanliness and a/c alone. Traffic in SD is still just too much. If I lived there, being close to a metro station would be high on my list of "must haves".

traffic in SD is high because the train is utilized by people who have no cars. people from Arroyo Hondo are not going to leave the Benz in the driveway to go sit beside Belkis and Fausto. what the metro has done is to get people out of carritos for a part of the journey. it has not eased traffic congestion. i know that there are going to be some foreigners that tell me they have cars, yet ride the metro. save it. you are not Dominican. the cultural dynamics are different.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transport."
Gustavo Petro, Mayor of Bogot?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transport."

exactly. guys from Darien, CT, and the ritzy Westchester suburbs, ride the Metro North, because they have nothing to prove, nor anyone to impress. people in developing countries who own cars need to be seen in them. they would rather walk than have the hoi polloi seeing them riding public transportation.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

ha education problems are all over the euros have a lot of places beat... couple of years ago i noticed that the spanish mom's were actualy helping out the teachers and aides with un ruly kids...they are demanding and getting better performance for their kids...want them separated from the un ruly/wild kids...segregation in reverse....Atlanta education system was (is) in a long time trial over cheating (teachers..).. ha ha ha spare the rod and spoil the child...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

truly correct....but in nyc they have like 6 lines north and south couple cross town and bunches of others coming and going to the outer boros.....lots of trains in s.d. they have a lot of work to do... feeder lines is important...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Where are the Metro supporters now?

Mr. Lu

Right here. I use the metro all the time. It beats having to take above ground transportation and fight with traffic. Plus, since I do live in the east, in the future it will mean less chance of being a victim of a day light robbery while passing through Los Minos in bumper to bumper traffic. I have no problem with tax payers floating the bill.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When the middle class and up also ride the Metro like they do in Medellin, Bogota, New York, London, Madrid etc, then I would call it a success. That is a sign of truly evolving society overcoming the social stigma of it being linked to a form of transport predominately for the poor.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When the middle class and up also ride the Metro like they do in Medellin, Bogota, New York, London, Madrid etc, then I would call it a success. That is a sign of truly evolving society overcoming the social stigma of it being linked to a form of transport predominately for the poor.

i have been trying to express that notion all along, but you have stated it more lucidly than i have. the guy who can afford the Land Cruiser is not riding any poor people?s transportation.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

It takes more than just two very limited lines to get people with more than one commute a day to board the Metro.
Generally speaking, the more likes added, the more chances that these sectors of society will make regular use of it.

After all, there's no point to take the Metro to work if you still need to go fetch the car to pick up the dry cleaned clothes or a run for some donuts for the kids. Limitations are what we have now, but the impact was more felt and intended to center around the least economically well to do.

Keep in mind, that each of those sites you listed had the same stigma problems when social/economic classes met.

The Metro is NOT considered for the poor onto itself by the middle and upper classes in the DR, but more accessible to the less to do, rightly so due to the location of the stations and service areas for now.

When Lines 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, shuttles 8,9,10,11,12 get fully rendered and feeder systems are in place, you'll see the same as the places listed above in your quoted post.

The SD Metro is going to continue growing until it covers the entirety the city Santo Domingo. Then from there it will expand beyond the city and well into the surrounding burbs on the province itself.

As it is now, The city proper is dense. When the Metro covers well enough of the city to travel sans car, the density will be suffocating.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It takes more than just two very limited lines to get people with more than one commute a day to board the Metro.
Generally speaking, the more likes added, the more chances that these sectors of society will make regular use of it.

After all, there's no point to take the Metro to work if you still need to go fetch the car to pick up the dry cleaned clothes or a run for some donuts for the kids. Limitations are what we have now, but the impact was more felt and intended to center around the least economically well to do.

Keep in mind, that each of those sites you listed had the same stigma problems when social/economic classes met.

The Metro is NOT considered for the poor onto itself by the middle and upper classes in the DR, but more accessible to the less to do, rightly so due to the location of the stations and service areas for now.

When Lines 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, shuttles 8,9,10,11,12 get fully rendered and feeder systems are in place, you'll see the same as the places listed above in your quoted post.

The SD Metro is going to continue growing until it covers the entirety the city Santo Domingo. Then from there it will expand beyond the city and well into the surrounding burbs on the province itself.

As it is now, The city proper is dense. When the Metro covers well enough of the city to travel sans car, the density will be suffocating.

that assessment does not address the sociological reality that Robert observed. how about you take a crack at it...