Migas? Ants? Whatever you call them

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
MY Dominican lady made sure we had a couple of those Little lizards in the house. They stand there and lick them suckers up, no matter how small or big the ants are, and the ants don'y have any sense of fear even seeing the others in their line being snapped up they don't try to disperse that I can tell.
Der Fish

the book, Derfish..the book!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't know where you live, but if you are anywhere near Sosua they have a great product at the Playero supermarket which has almost completely eliminated them for me. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is called because all the writing on the pack is in Chinese. When you see the ants, you open a sachet of the product and pour some where you see the ants. They soon gather around and start taking the stuff back to the nest and it appears to kill them all off. I used to have a big ant problem in the small apartment building that I have, but now we rarely see any at all.

As I said, I have only seen the product at Playero, but I am sure it is sold in other places as well.

be careful with some of those Chinese insect cures. they are seriously poisonous, to humans. there is this thing called Chinese chalk, which you use to mark lines on surfaces. insects crawl over the lines, and it is curtains. you can no longer buy that stuff in countries like the USA. be careful what you buy.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have had ongoing problem with tiny tiny ants that seem to appear out of nowhere like magic.  Have had two different (seemingly incompetent ) fumigators come to home.  Next day still there.  They are in apartment mainly in kitchen area, but show up on dining g table, sometimes notice them in living room. They can be on top of stove. Literally one second not there, blink they are around. Any suggestions? Or any recommendations for fumigator you may have used in PC area near PC village? It is really driving us crazy. And the 2 guys we used were in and out in maybe 10-15 minutes.  
Help.  Thanks in advance.

What you need is Terro liquid ant killer. Works especially well for the small "sugar ants". Put several drops in the middle of the trail as close as possible to where they are entering you apto. or where they are going into the wall. They'll eat this stuff like it's a giant luau and take it back to the nest where they feed it to the queen. Works great. I've been using it for years.

https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-Liquid...d=1501356159&sr=8-3&keywords=terro+ant+killer

May 5, 2007
I have had ongoing problem with tiny tiny ants that seem to appear out of nowhere like magic.  Have had two different (seemingly incompetent ) fumigators come to home.  Next day still there.  They are in apartment mainly in kitchen area, but show up on dining g table, sometimes notice them in living room. They can be on top of stove. Literally one second not there, blink they are around. Any suggestions? Or any recommendations for fumigator you may have used in PC area near PC village? It is really driving us crazy. And the 2 guys we used were in and out in maybe 10-15 minutes.  
Help.  Thanks in advance.

diatomaceous earth and Boric acid Mix together and spread very thin line around all walls that face outside, back of cupboards, under stove and fridge etc It is harmless to people and pets, takes a few days to do it's job but once the ants are tracking through it say goodbye

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
be careful with some of those Chinese insect cures. they are seriously poisonous, to humans. there is this thing called Chinese chalk, which you use to mark lines on surfaces. insects crawl over the lines, and it is curtains. you can no longer buy that stuff in countries like the USA. be careful what you buy.

I would usually ?????? run when I see China mentioned anywhere on any product.  

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
diatomaceous earth and Boric acid Mix together and spread very thin line around all walls that face outside, back of cupboards, under stove and fridge etc It is harmless to people and pets, takes a few days to do it's job but once the ants are tracking through it say goodbye

I don't understand this??????

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
What you need is Terro liquid ant killer. Works especially well for the small "sugar ants". Put several drops in the middle of the trail as close as possible to where they are entering you apto. or where they are going into the wall. They'll eat this stuff like it's a giant luau and take it back to the nest where they feed it to the queen. Works great. I've been using it for years.

https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-Liquid...d=1501356159&sr=8-3&keywords=terro+ant+killer

Is product sold at markets, hardware? Thanks to everyone for advice

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Is product sold at markets, hardware? Thanks to everyone for advice

I've nerver seen it down here. You'd have to have a friend bring it down for you or order it through Amazon and have it sent via BM Cargo or EPS acct(or one of many others). You only need a little to do the job. I still have some left from a 2oz bottle I bought several years ago.

Those little ants love this stuff and they will be gone in two days max. It contains boric acid which was mentioned in another post. If you have a dog or a cat you wouldn't want to put it on the floor where they could get at it, but someplace like around the windows sills it's no problem at all.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Hormigas (or-ME-gaz) are ants, in tropics you can't stop them ever.  Try powdered cinnamon. 

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
Yep. We have an ant problem occasionally. We finally figured out it only happens when we're not thoroughly cleaning up all food particles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
funny, i posted about this exact problem on FB the other day............they just seem to arrive out of nowhere............

well, i just put a used pizza box outside of the french doors and within 24 hours they all are gone.......I know they love pizza almost as much as i do.......................

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I don't understand this������
They each have an electrostatic attraction to the exoskeleton of insects when misted on to the surface in a very fine dust. The diatomaceous earth (DE) is very hard powdered rock which works it way into the joints of the exoskeleton and ends up cutting through it. This exposes the internals of the insects
to the atmosphere and causes dehydration and death. The boric acid (BA) is ingested when the insects try to clean it off with their mouths. This causes a fatal chemical imbalance. I don't know exactly how it kills them, but I think it dissolves their innards. I believe their is some dehydration with BA also. The two mixed together work from inside and out. Neither is considered harmful to mammals in the quantities used here. However, it has been suggested that when applied to food prep surfaces that it be done after the evening meal cleanup and then wiped up in the morning. DE is sold in food quality with the intent that it be eaten. BA is sold in pharmacies for medical uses, eye wash and maybe some others. I've read that BA is less toxic than table salt.

https://www.amazon.com/Duda-Energy-...TF8&qid=1501377575&sr=8-7&keywords=boric+acid
https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous...7690&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=daatomaceous+earth
https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Hom...501377759&sr=1-1&keywords=bellows+hand+duster

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm sure you could mix your own "Terro". It's just 5.4% boric acid in a sugar based suryp. Those little ants love the sugar so they eat it and ingest the boric acid at the same time. Very effective. Like warhaut said, you can probaly get BA at any farmacia. It's a white powder. Cheap. Mix with honey.

The diatomaceous earth he recommended does work as described if you can find it.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You might be able to find diatomaceous earth in some pool supply stores since it is used in DE type pool filters.

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
Tempo Ultra

We have been bring down something called Tempo. This is a product of Bayer. We spray the perimeters of our rooms and deck with it. It is mixed with water and it has a residual affect for about 60 days. Once dry if they walk over it they're done.
It also works on many other insects including spiders. Don't know if it can be purchased in the DR. Have used baits and traps in the past but this stuff is fantastic, especially on ants. Google it to get all the specifics.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We use ant powder. Have used it for 10 years or so. Pour over ants and they will be dead in half hour and ready to be swept up. Then dust it around the problem areas. They sell it at the agricultural place that is where the ceramic shop used to be, beside the moto place, on the left side of the road heading out of Sosua going to Cabarete.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The OP is on the East Coast so I suggest trying local ferreterias / hardware stores.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
When i see them i hit the with the spray .. this is island life .not fifth ave apartment life ....

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think I've seen what you are referring to. Next time you are there, if you think of it, play the hapless tourist and take a photo please.

Thx.

I have the product here in my apartment but don't know how to post a photo on DR1. However, I have looked at the pack and there is one very descriptive piece of English "Bait for killing ant".

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I place ant bait outside on the front porch, and that keeps them out of the house. Change for a fresh one once a month.