Motos with no damn lights.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have started wearing these yellow tinted glasses whilst driving at night in Santo Domingo. It makes all the difference.
The idiots with their stadium lighting would blind me and I wouldn't be able to see for minutes afterwards.
Now they still annoy me, but I can still see and am not blind anymore after they have passed me.
Good term "Stadium Lighting". I swear 10 motos around a field could start a baseball park. All they need is a hot dog cart to roll up.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
About as bad and dangerous is the lack of brake lights on many cars, new and old. I'd like an Amet campaign for that.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If I pull up next to someone at a light and let them know something is not working it's usually like you're accusing them of genocide. A rude aggressive response is the norm, particularly from Gringos. The locals tend to glaze over and then run the light to get away from you. Just last week I was behind a beat up pickup truck dragging about 20 feet of rope behind it. I could envision another vehicle driving over the rope and the truck bed coming right off the truck. At the light in Charamicos I gathered up the rope and tossed it into the back of the pickup and the Dominican driver flipped out as if I had just ruined his well planned insurance scam.

With a lot of vehicles these days, you don't even need a screwdriver to change a tail light. I'm perplexed at those who drive an unblemished luxury vehicle and can't seem to find the time or be bothered to perform the most basic checks and maintenance. The right brake light on my neighbors SUV hasn't worked for the last 18 months. I guess as long as it starts, all is good to go.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If I pull up next to someone at a light and let them know something is not working it's usually like you're accusing them of genocide. A rude aggressive response is the norm, particularly from Gringos. The locals tend to glaze over and then run the light to get away from you. Just last week I was behind a beat up pickup truck dragging about 20 feet of rope behind it. I could envision another vehicle driving over the rope and the truck bed coming right off the truck. At the light in Charamicos I gathered up the rope and tossed it into the back of the pickup and the Dominican driver flipped out as if I had just ruined his well planned insurance scam.

With a lot of vehicles these days, you don't even need a screwdriver to change a tail light. I'm perplexed at those who drive an unblemished luxury vehicle and can't seem to find the time or be bothered to perform the most basic checks and maintenance. The right brake light on my neighbors SUV hasn't worked for the last 18 months. I guess as long as it starts, all is good to go.
And this is a good reason to try to avoid buying a used vehicle from a Dominican, yet every ad in Cortos says Único Dueño, Nunca Chocado y Mantenimiento al Día.
Horse crap. Maintenance here is fix it only when it stops moving and then add more LED lights and a new steering wheel cover. Then do a cheap paint job over bondo on all dents,
Follow with Armorall on the motor and bald tires and sell at a ridiculous high price for a high mileage clunker.
Caveat Emptor.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
And this is a good reason to try to avoid buying a used vehicle from a Dominican, yet every ad in Cortos says Único Dueño, Nunca Chocado y Mantenimiento al Día.
Horse crap. Maintenance here is fix it only when it stops moving and then add more LED lights and a new steering wheel cover. Then do a cheap paint job over bondo on all dents,
Follow with Armorall on the motor and bald tires and sell at a ridiculous high price for a high mileage clunker.
Caveat Emptor.

Don't tell everybody! Now I'll never sell my junkpile...All that investment in Armorall as well..

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I hope i never hit anyone because i'm not stopping.... deal with the **** later,,, roll the dice.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If I pull up next to someone at a light and let them know something is not working it's usually like you're accusing them of genocide. A rude aggressive response is the norm, particularly from Gringos. The locals tend to glaze over and then run the light to get away from you.
The irony is that on this very forum folks have posted endlessly about being scammed by Dominicans who pull up next to their car with news their sled is broken...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Dominicans in general seem to be more reactive than proactive and this lazy attitude effects
many aspects of Dominican society as a whole.

May 5, 2007
When will the police start setting up road blocks at night between Cabarete - Sosua - Puerto Plata to check for real functioning lights. This includes a red (not white LED) in the rear and a head light focused on the ground not a Super bright LED bank focused to blind oncoming motorists 500 yards away. These LED light banks are the new cafre status symbol in DR. Idiots buy anything shiny.
Last night some dimwit with a passenger did a U-turn with no lights near Cangrejo and I nearly T-boned them. Then 5 minutes later near the airport some retard in all black and no tail light was driving slow and not along the edge like normal but right in the middle of the lane. I was almost up his butt before I saw him.
Please PN start setting up light checks and confiscate motos with no lights. Then they will start to fix them.
Last thing I want to do is kill or hurt a young man, even though some act like they want to be removed from the gene pool.

The first 1/2 dozen times I visited the DR I wondered "What in hell happens to the tail lights of motos?" Even relatively new bikes had none, could never understand it

May 5, 2007
I wrote about it a few years ago, but I came within 10' of killing 3 on a moto...in the dark...all dressed in black...black pasola...no lights...on the autopista...in the driving rain...in the middle of the left lane.

And you surely would have been found at fault :-(

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The first 1/2 dozen times I visited the DR I wondered "What in hell happens to the tail lights of motos?" Even relatively new bikes had none, could never understand it

Rumor has it that anything that consumes electricity or restricts airflow results in a loss of engine output power. Best to remove these things so you can go faster. Removing the mirrors improves airflow and makes it easier to dodge between other vehicles - double bonus.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Rumor has it that anything that consumes electricity or restricts airflow results in a loss of engine output power. Best to remove these things so you can go faster. Removing the mirrors improves airflow and makes it easier to dodge between other vehicles - double bonus.
But that making more power theory doesn't hold water with the extra stadium lights they tack on front. I saw a new Isuzu Dmax pickup tonight with 6 stadium lights and it was like looking into the sun.
It probably was warm enough to melt Icarus's wings.
I think the rear lights are out on motos because they stack 2 fat women and 3 kids on a cheap Chinese bike built for one 160 lb rider and it pinches the wires.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
But that making more power theory doesn't hold water with the extra stadium lights they tack on front.
Those are LED's and are known to draw less power so they will use them.

The "lights suck power" has been around for decades, a myth that seems to be changing...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The moto situation will be regulated properly and continuously in the DR around the same time we have world peace and totally open boarders.

Just one of the situations we need to acclimate to if we are to live successfully in the DR. We are not the tail that is going to wag this dog.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The light bar is self defense for times I get caught out at night. Day time driving is terrible but night time is way worse. The last thing you want to do here is be involved in a fatal accident. Other option is get a Dominican to drive. It's just a regular old accident for them, no big deal. I married a Dominican so I have a built in night time driver and my super bright light bar let's me see all the near misses so I no longer have to ask, did you see that, or what was that?

Sadly mistaken there. If your name is on the Matricula, more that likely you're going to have problems if the vehicle is in an accident, no matter who is driving.

That's why it's important to insure the matricula is transferred when you sell your vehicle.

I've seen it happen to folks here a few times.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The moto situation will be regulated properly and continuously in the DR around the same time we have world peace and totally open boarders.

Just one of the situations we need to acclimate to if we are to live successfully in the DR. We are not the tail that is going to wag this dog.
After a while they become white noise. I don't even freak out anymore with them in traffic.

That said, I detest driving on the main drag in Puerto Plata. Moto drivers there are maddening.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Sadly mistaken there. If your name is on the Matricula, more that likely you're going to have problems if the vehicle is in an accident, no matter who is driving.

That's why it's important to insure the matricula is transferred when you sell your vehicle.

I've seen it happen to folks here a few times.
Exactly. And that reason is WHY I arrange for the transfer of the matricula when I sell a vehicle instead of "trusting" the buyer to do it.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
No point trying to rationalize the thoughts and actions of those with an IQ range from zero to 10.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Having spent a fair amount of time with several Dominicans the problem isn't their IQ, as many are quite intelligent and resourceful. The problem is their crap education system and families which don't teach them how to plan, or how to value and care for the things they do manage to own.
Top that off with the way many disrespect the environment and also mistreat animals and steal from Eden Norte and it is easy to get angry with them.
But I find they are loving of their families and many like to associate with extranjeros and not always for reasons of financial gain.
But riding motos without lights at night does lead me to believe those riders have walnut size brains.