Moving To Punta Cana from Canada my blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Worked Here For 10 Years Without ANY Papers!

Have a credit card,bank account,paid my payroll and "Social Security" taxes bought a house,bought a few cars,stopped dozens of times by the "AMET" with no drivers license,what is all the "Fuss" about "Papers"????
Cris Colon

Here is my "Philosophy of Life" for maintaining your sanity while living in the DR.

"If you never expect ANYTHING", you will never be dissapointed"!!!!!

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
ahhhh mannnn all this is becomming pretty crazy... ok so just to go over it... i do not need a residency, and i can work legaly there but i would need a work visa, THAT work visa would take 1 - 2 weeks to make, and no blood sample or x ray is needed, i called to find out and they told me i need

-my passport

- my work contract

- and a letter from my boss at the hotel, stating that he did in fact hire me

that is costing 85 $ US and i can do it from canada but it will take longer, or they can do it for me in punta cana wich will be faster and they are paying for it..
Now my only concern is ;as miss Anna C says < dominican style> and i already know what that means, because i have experienced the <dominican Time> and the <dominican Day> but my question is, i don't need a residency do i? i only need a work visa that <allows me> to work there legaly.. since ill be staying in the resort hotel

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
dominican rules are very diff from our rules...and they are much more easy going when it comes to general law, and papel... but id rathe do it the legal way to help me save ANY troubles...specially since it will be firsttime there for 6 months :S

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Who did you call?

ahhhh mannnn all this is becomming pretty crazy... ok so just to go over it... i do not need a residency, and i can work legaly there but i would need a work visa, THAT work visa would take 1 - 2 weeks to make, and no blood sample or x ray is needed, i called to find out and they told me i need

There's no such thing as a work visa did you not read Mr Guzman's quote?

Here it is again

Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a "work permit" or "work authorization" under Dominican immigration law. If the person planning to work in the D.R. does not want to petition for a residency permit, which automatically grants him the right to work in the country, he may apply for a residency or business visa for labor purposes ("Visa de Negocios con Fines Laborales") and renew it every year. However, at the present time, it's easier and faster to obtain a residency permit than to obtain a residency or business visa for labor purposes.

You need residency to work legally or you can live like CCCCCCCC with no papers and hope for the best.

Who told you it would take two weeks to get a work permit which doesn't exist?

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
This is again the dominican embassy in Canada ottowa.. they said work visa take 1-2 weeks in santo dominigo, and i can do it as i am there
Ill be back in the office on Monday i have the phone numbers and u guys can call and see for yourselves that thats what they are telling me..( even though i doubt you guys would wanna waste your time)

At this point i don't know what to do anymore.. if the embassy is telling me all this..aren;t they supposed to know all this info?!

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
As mister Gusman said::
he may apply for a residency or business visa for labor purposes ("Visa de Negocios con Fines Laborales") and renew it every year. However, at the present time, it's easier and faster to obtain a residency permit than to obtain a residency or business visa for labor purposes

Buisness visa = to WOrk visa...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let us know when you get this "work visa" in two weeks and then call the Dominican embassy in Canada and say thanks for the great info.

I'm out of this one

Again good luck

Oh one more thing, if you call the embassy again ask them to fax you all this info they are giving you. You need it in writing as to where they are getting it from.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
out for weekend,
cold bottles and hot le... waiting.
CCCChris, sure you're fine on that,
but she wanted to know what's the legal progress to work legally here.
have a great weekend everybody
cheers
Mike

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
It sucks that you think of me that way, because of my lackness of knowledge about another country that i have never lived in :)

I said that because you are so excited to start your new adventure that I'm sure that you are not thinking about all the "what ifs" that can happen.

If you only want to be half prepared...then why not buy half a plane ticket & half a laptop....you are only listening to half the advice people are sharing with you.

You said yourself that you have a "LACK" of knowledge about the Dominican Republic.

People have given great advice that you should consider.

When I went for an extendend stay in Puerto Plata with no predetermined return date, I booked a 1 week charter because it was the cheapest option at the time.

I overstayed and had to make alternate arrangements to get home. The intelligent counter reps at the airport wouldn't let me on an American Airlines flight because I didn't have a return ticket back to the DR....and I am Canadian (as if that made any sense).

They also told me a passport was required to stop in Miami .... that was 1 year prior to when that law actually passed in the US.

I had to pay again to purchase another ticket with Signature to get home.....and it would have been a lot cheaper to have booked a open ended return ticket in the first place.

I am just saying that just because there are laws, doesn't mean it applies in the DR and definitely doesn't mean that because you are from Canada that you can get around the rules should they decide to enforce them one day.

Good luck and I hope that you only experience the best...just always be prepared for the worse because at some point...something will probably happen that you didnt expect and it is always better to be prepared in advance.

A

apostropheman

Dear Miss November,

first let me wish you "good luck" with you new job and new life in the DR...you're going to need it :cheeky:

now with that out of the way...

what you fail to ge getting from all your various threads is that what the embassy, airlines etc,...may be telling you and what is actually, technically the law is generally quite different than REALITY in the Dominican Republic.

the people you are speaking to at the airlines, embassy, etc...don't care about you, don't actually know the score and won't help you out when your plans fail and you really need assistance. they think,as you appear to, that just because it should be a certain way, according to the book, the rules or the law, whatever, that it will actually be like that in real, DOMINICAN, life...and it just ain't so!

you've asked your questions, gotten sound advice from people that actually know what happens in practice and have chosen to ignore it all. that is hardly the best idea when entering into a country that you admittedly know little about, a new job you have no guarantee of or papers for, no residency or right to work at that job in the DR and no real understanding of what life is about there.

frankly i don't understand you and will be amazed if you manage to last 1 month in the DR considering your attitude so far. :bunny::bunny:

i'm sure it'll make for interesting reading so please do start and keep a blog up to date :)
go to my blog u can find out :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some might say it is unfair to paint them all with the same brush, because here and there there might be a competent one who got the job due to merit, but most if not all Dominican embassy staff are political appointees and their extended friends, families and domestic pets, and are therefore not necessarily qualified to do their job.

The OP's posts about what she is being told by the embassy back this up.

Or -- is this some kind of wind-up? Not because the poster clearly lacks information about the country, because after all this is what these forums are for, but because she stubbornly refuses to read sensible informed advice from people who know what they are talking about.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
De verdad......

Some might say it is unfair to paint them all with the same brush, because here and there there might be a competent one who got the job due to merit, but most if not all Dominican embassy staff are political appointees and their extended friends, families and domestic pets, and are therefore not necessarily qualified to do their job.

The OP's posts about what she is being told by the embassy back this up.

Or -- is this some kind of wind-up? Not because the poster clearly lacks information about the country, because after all this is what these forums are for, but because she stubbornly refuses to read sensible informed advice from people who know what they are talking about.
One time I called the Dominican embassy and when I asked to speak to the "Consul" because it seemed I was talking to the wall, the young lady NOT only did NOT know where he was, BUUUUT didn't even know his full name!!......Yeah....That's how well-informed/trained SOME of them are!!.

ALL we can do for SOME of these KNOW-IT-ALL, is wish them luck and hope that God have mercy on their souls!.

Members who know a thing or two about the DR have adviced her....People who live in the DR have adviced her.....BUTTTT, I guess that since she has been to the DR a total of......(BRUMS PLEASE)....2 TIMES, that makes her an expert on EVERYTHING DOMINICAN.

Btw: If it's true she doesn't need a physical, that's really messed-up!!.....So does that means that ANY person with ALL kind of diseases can just move to the DR, just like that?.

Btw 2: WOOOOOOOOOOWWWW, she will be making the equivalent of 92 dollars a week.....GREAT to know SOME people have such "high" aspirations!!.

AMAZING!!.

There's something more to this story.......Mrs Georgina didn't raise no dummy!!. ;)

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Rules

dominican rules are very diff from our rules...and they are much more easy going when it comes to general law, and papel... but id rathe do it the legal way to help me save ANY troubles...specially since it will be firsttime there for 6 months :S

A wise man told me in 1989 when I first visited the DR that "there is only one Rule in the DR, and that is that there are no Rules".

Status
Not open for further replies.