Mrs Clintons Bombshell. Cuba opening up to US!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That would be the United States, with approximately 30% of the total number of tourists, an absolute majority.

US: 32.2
Canada: 22.6
I wonder how many of those "tourists" are not Dominicans nor have any familiy relationships in the DR.

Aren't the numbers skewed a bit because of that?

Mar 2, 2008
"Aren't the numbers skewed a bit because of that?"

I'm not sure how that would break down, only that the numbers represent US citizens, so it wouldn't include temporary residents.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That would be the United States, with approximately 30% of the total number of tourists, an absolute majority.

France: 9
Spain: 5.7
Germany: 5.6
UK: 5
First of all, "Americans" are a relative majority, not an absolute majority. In order for them to be an absolute majority, they have to outnumber every other type of tourists combined. Canadians, French, and Spaniards combined outnumber the "Americans" and that's not even the full list of foreigners visiting the DR.

Also, I put quotation marks on the word Americans because a large percentage are Americans of Dominican descent and/or Dominicans with a naturalized US citizenship. That has an effect in all of this.

To finish, what I stated before still stands. Its better for Cuba to be open to US tourists now than later and the DR will be of the least affected by this change among Caribbean destinations.

-NALs

Mar 2, 2008
"Americans" are a relative majority, not an absolute majority"

You are correct. I should have written that they are absolutely a majority, not an absolute majority.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
cubano

i believe that with the death of castro it will relax. slowly but relax it will... everyone likes more $$ they probably have a plan about it so the cubans from miami cant walk all over as planned...

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The DR is already on its way down, with or without Cuba opening up for US tourism!
If Cuba really opens up it will just accelerate things, particularly for the DR.

Other Central American countries are doing much better with tourism and tourist related business.
If you see the stats. for Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico and others you will be surprised. There are a million and more North Americans retiring every year in Mexico alone.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
When is this bill going to be voted on?

The article doesn't mention the date.

The bill has been referred to committees in the House Foreign Affairs. The link will answer your question fully.

With a new democratic control of congress and the general atmosphere of change in the country, I think this bill may have some traction.

This bill is in the first step in the legislative process. Introduced bills and resolutions first go to committees that deliberate, investigate, and revise them before they go to general debate. The majority of bills and resolutions never make it out of committee
my bold

H.R. 874: To allow travel between the United States and Cuba (GovTrack.us)

Mar 2, 2008
The majority of bills and resolutions never make it out of committee

And 'in committee' is where the most intense lobbying takes place, since the committees conduct their business out of the public's view, and because there are only a few congressmen who need to be 'reached'.

Does anyone believe that there are a few lobbyists paid for by the DR tourist industry at work now?

Not that they would have any stake in the way this all shakes out. After all, most of the US tourists to the DR are Dominicans anyway, so their business is virtually assured regardless of the bill's outcome, right?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
A bill that would allow travel to Cuba for all, was reintroduced on Feb 4th. Things are a changing in this new Washington atmosphere.

Stealth bill would drop travel restrictions to Cuba. Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Hope that's the case, but the simple fact of the matter is that a bill to open up trade/tourism to Cuba has been introduced almost yearly since the beginning of the embargo, only to die in committee (usually right next to Charlie Rangel's bill to reinstate the draft). And even if this one's got some legs to it, Obama's got a few other things on his agenda.

Maybe this time is different. I do hope so. But I wouldn't break out my suitcase and passaporte just yet...

DRob:glasses:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I sadly agree

The DR is already on its way down, with or without Cuba opening up for US tourism!
If Cuba really opens up it will just accelerate things, particularly for the DR.

Other Central American countries are doing much better with tourism and tourist related business.
If you see the stats. for Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico and others you will be surprised. There are a million and more North Americans retiring every year in Mexico alone.

As an Expat living in the DR I sadly must agree with above. Been to DR 4 times before moving here, CuBA twice. I have lived and worked all over latin america and I must sadly say that apart from the obvious power problems the dishonest , lying scams that many Dominicans are guilty of is becoming very tiring to say the least..I love what the island has to offer as well the proximity to North aM. which is why I am still here but very frustrating.I have been to poorer coutries where the integrity and morals are much higher.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
************Originally Posted by mido

If you see the stats. for Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico and others you will be surprised. There are a million and more North Americans retiring every year in Mexico alone.***********

As an Expat living in the DR I sadly must agree with above. Been to DR 4 times before moving here, CuBA twice. I have lived and worked all over latin america and I must sadly say that apart from the obvious power problems the dishonest , lying scams that many Dominicans are guilty of is becoming very tiring to say the least..I love what the island has to offer as well the proximity to North aM. which is why I am still here but very frustrating.I have been to poorer coutries where the integrity and morals are much higher.

Did you live in Santiago/Santo Domingo/La Vega??????

OR... Some coastal "city"?????

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I can't wait to go to Cuba. I want to see all the the sites and experience the culture and experience the true meet the people. This will be a good thing for the average American who would just like to have anothe choice of destinations.

I certainly hope that the Dominican Government lowers it fees/taxes for air travel. They are the highest in the carribean and they would most likely attract more visitors to the island if they were reasonable.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Lugar calls for rethinking U.S. embargo against Cuba

Now we have the very influential Republican Senator Lugar weighing in on the opening up with relations towards Cuba. This stuff will be incremental, but you can say that the embargo's days are numbered.

The top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee says leadership changes in Cuba and the United States offer a chance to "reevaluate a complex relationship marked by misunderstanding, suspicion, and open hostility."

Sen. Richard Lugar, of Indiana, says a change is needed because the 47-year-old embargo has proved ineffective in bringing democracy to the island.

Lugar calls for rethinking U.S. embargo against Cuba - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I can't wait to go to Cuba. I want to see all the the sites and experience the culture and experience the true meet the people. This will be a good thing for the average American who would just like to have anothe choice of destinations.

The beaches in the DR do not even compare to those in Cuba...the people outside the resorts are all beautiful people, willing to share anything with you, a friend of mine was married to a Cuban and asked us to deliver some gifts for her husbands family, they treated us like royalty...Cubans are not allowed to fish lobster for themselves, and that family prepared an outstanding lobster meal for us.

In Cuba you leave the resorts daily, all their markets were located at an"International Market centre" you dont have venders hissssing at you to look at their booths as you walk the beach!

People left the resorts day and night to experience Cuba and it's people, you rent the old chevies, there are horse and buggies all over the place, no one is locked up in the AI'S.

We went in January, the beaches were packed..such a different vibe...the water was to die for, which is why most tourists vacation- for the beaches, the water..relaxation. Not to mention the breathtaking sunsets!The extreme heat.

did a google image search and here's just a couple if its allowed!!
29mug5e.jpg

oj19gm.jpg

nxuufn.gif

These Beaches are what you will find in La Romana and Saona Island in DR. But not in Bavaro.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Cuba travel rules would ease under bill passed by U.S. House

"The House bill would block spending this fiscal year to enforce the Bush rules. Those rules allow Cuban-Americans to travel only once every three years to visit close family members for up to 14 days and to spend no more than $50 a day.

The new rules would allow them to visit relatives once a year, spend up to $170 a day and stay as long as they like."

Cuba travel rules would ease under bill passed by U.S. House -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Ok now that the spending bill has been signed, the easing of certain restrictions between the US and Cuba is a reality. Cuban-Americans can visit their families once a year as opposed to once every three years under the Busch administration. Also it will be easier to import medicines and food to the island.

The embargo is still in place but cracks are beginning to become evident.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate passed a bill on Tuesday that eases some sanctions against Cuba, undoing steps taken by the Bush administration to toughen the trade embargo dating from the Cold War.

FACTBOX: Congress eases trade and travel to Cuba | Politics | First 100 Days | Reuters

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
A few points of interest:

1. First off the title is in reverse. US will prob lift restrictions on trvel, Cuba is already open to US visitors.

2. The current accomodations in Cuba are not up to par. Many have deteriorated facilities and are at most on par with 3-4 star DR hotels/AI's.

3. There are beautiful locations and esp Havana will be a huge crowd puller, but to the more adventurous crowd fist until amenities are up to par.

4. Currently the number of rooms is restricted, although there is a lot of latitude in the casa-particular system. Which means a B&B type of service. Again the level of accomodation is not very high.

5. The uniqueness of Cuba is hard to grasp and will not make Cuba a good place to visit outside of the resorts for some time to come.

6. Overall, it will add a good destination for people who are less concerned about creature comforts and more interest in history of liberation, Afro-Cuban culture and good opps to go out and dance...

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

France: 9
Spain: 5.7
Germany: 5.6
UK: 5

Interesting statement, 30% an absolute majority. I always thought that would have to be over 50%.

I guess you meant the largest percentage of any indivudual country.

Mar 2, 2008
Yes, that point was already discussed. You really should read the entire thread before you comment on some obscure and inconsequential issue.