Mugged, but unharmed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You may have totally different opinion about people of DR, but if you try to get involved in the situation similar to the one described in OP's post, the outcome will be the same for you regardless your opinion.

i am fully aware of that. i am one of the people who suggest that it is not a good idea to intervene in these matters. however, i have the feeling that if a foreigner was either living in your country, or spending time there, you would be offended if he or she characterized your compatriots as worthless animals.*

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It appears sddr is an individual of high moral fibre!

Why beg for meals? Just steal something, get caught and go to jail, they give food and bed free of charge there.

Unfortunately there is no difference between barrio criminals and police in DR. The same trash from the same barrios. Who cares if they kill each other? I wish they could create civilized police at least for SD city center and tourist areas, but it's the same crap there. Police in DR look like shlt and they act like shlt. The shame for the country receiving so many tourists.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Enjoy life until it's over..

C0YJW3YUUAASTV5_zpswvdevval.jpg

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
You may have totally different opinion about people of DR, but if you try to get involved in the situation similar to the one described in OP's post, the outcome will be the same for you regardless your opinion.

This site is about spreading useful and accurate information and you Sir have accomplished both.While it might be distasteful to express this accurate info, the bottom line is don't be a Chuck Norris unless its a family or close friend.

We have always had a very strict rule in our house, set by my wife (no, she's not joking about it), that nobody is even allowed to open the main door before sunrise, yet alone leave the house, unless there is a vehicle waiting right in front of the house and there is an additional person checking the surroundings while you get in to the car.

Not sure why, we've been on the road really late at night (way past 12am) on many occasions, and while we try to get quickly home and check our surroundings carefully of course, I have always felt much less secure when we have had to leave the house between 5am and 6am in the morning... The early morning hours (3am-6am) creep me out in the DR...

I'm glad the OP is fine, hoping that you won't participate to things like that in the future...

What area do you live in??!!

Glad you are a decent guy Peter and tried to help and glad you didn't get hurt!! I can't imagine just sitting there are not trying to help a woman who is getting robbed...you did the right thing IMO!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
A high power laser pointer from a safe place/distance may work wonders in such situations.

Mine has a range of over 200 feet, causes instant panic to bad guys in the night.
Even better if it?s mounted on the barrel of a firearm.

Much better then being out there in striking distance of the bad guys.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Sorry folks. This is not America... anybody who robs a defenceless female would kill a foreigner without thinking twice. Stay away it's not worth your time or effort. They don't value their own lives why should you?*

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Since my tazer died (see blog post on purchase of same), I carry a Super Sound Signal Horn. Easily hand-held, it will scare the living sh*t out of dogs and interlopers.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Glad you are ok. It's difficult for good people to leave their humanity on landing in Santo Domingo. Kudos to you for what you did. I hope I would do the same thing. This country is far too dangerous to go about unarmed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
6:30AM~still dark. Two guys on a moto. They were mugging a commuter woman on a motoconcho across the street who was screaming for help. They had just let her go and I went out to help, thinking they were making their getaway. But when they saw me, they stopped their bike and went for me too. One guy took a couple jabs at my face with a military knife with his left hand then he grabbed my cell with right and took off on the moto with the other guy. The woman and motoconcho guy took off, hopefully uninjured. All this took place in about 30 seconds.

Thankfully you weren't injured but do you think the whole thing was set up to snare an unsuspecting person, such as, yourself. Next time don't bring a cell phone to a knife fight.

Apr 10, 2014
We have always had a very strict rule in our house, set by my wife (no, she's not joking about it), that nobody is even allowed to open the main door before sunrise, yet alone leave the house, unless there is a vehicle waiting right in front of the house and there is an additional person checking the surroundings while you get in to the car.

Not sure why, we've been on the road really late at night (way past 12am) on many occasions, and while we try to get quickly home and check our surroundings carefully of course, I have always felt much less secure when we have had to leave the house between 5am and 6am in the morning... The early morning hours (3am-6am) creep me out in the DR...

I'm glad the OP is fine, hoping that you won't participate to things like that in the future...
Wow! *Life in tropical paradise.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
One lesson is don't be out and about between 10 PM and 7 AM

for Canadians that's "oot and aboot"

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Peter, glad that you are ok. Probably good that I do not live in DR since I would beaten these guys with a baseball-bet..

MM

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Those are the best times to be out!! For younger people out there really it is not nearly as scary as some would say on here.
My experience would be 4 years of being out at those times 5 nights a week....
Some very scared people seem to live here.

There is a lot of fun to be had with Dominicans and/or expats late at night throughout the country and there's nothing excessively dangerous with being out until whatever hour of the night in DR*

*dependent on where you are, who you're with, what you are doing, the area you have to go home to, your method of transportation to get there, and your level of sobriety/common sense.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Not good for the Romney name, that violence*

Since I did not spell it correctly I think that was actually not that violent.. :). There is always a need to be very careful in the DR but I agree with some others that it is not healthy or at least not fun to just stay in after 10 PM every night.

Mitt means center in another language